Sneak Preview

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« on: 28 Apr 2004, 05:09 pm »
Here is a sneak preview of the new acoustic product.  This is more of a reference level product and works from 20K+ to well below 100 Hz.  These are meant to eliminate room distortion, flatten frequency response, alleviate room modes, drastically improve clarity and soundstage, and finally, LOOK GOOD!!!

Pricing has not been yet set, but expect about $100 per panel.  Panels are either 48" or 36" by 10" and include all the insulation, fabric, and mounting hardware necessary to install.  Installation is surprising easy, taking only 5-10 minutes per panel.  The panels are paintable in any fashion you would like.  All panels will be primed white, so no painting is necessary if you don't want to change the color.  We are also considering offering the panels in veneers if there is interest.

This is an almost final prototype, expect the production product to be a bit more refined in appearance.  This is 2 48" panels per side.

I welcome any and all feedback!

http://www.eighthnerve.com/images/en-illusion-p1.jpg">

http://www.eighthnerve.com/images/en-illusion-p2.jpg">

Brian

Sneak Preview
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2004, 05:26 pm »
Looks very nice. Could almost not see them on the first picture. May be because they are full height of the room..

Very interesting.....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Sneak Preview
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2004, 02:25 am »
Do they replace seams in a typical setup or are they designed for another purpose?  Will the be available in both colors?  And what's the MSRP looking like?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Sneak Preview
« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2004, 02:33 am »
Nathan,

Can you explain how they will work below 100Hz?

I haven't seen any products of this size that make that claim.

Thanks,

George

dmrothfus

Sneak Preview
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2004, 11:43 pm »
I agree with zybar... I have a full 8th Nerve setup, but my system could still benefit from some adjustment at and below 100hz.

Any details or advice regarding the new product?

Hantra

Sneak Preview
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2004, 03:34 am »
Looks great!  When will it be available?

Also, if one has a treatment like mine, with Roompack, and some frames in the corners, what would these do?

Thx,

B

witchdoctor

Sneak Preview
« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2004, 04:04 am »
Hi Bill,
Reminds me of the work you did in my apt. to fix that bd corner!
Doc

Eduardo AAVM

Sneak Preview
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2004, 06:46 am »
Good news...

Congratulations...

Will they replace the roompack ?

Is just "a panel" for all purposes (echo, corner, seam) being defined for how we install it in the room ?

Do thet perform the same way roompack does ?

Will roompack be discontinued ?

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2004, 02:42 pm »
Behind the panels in this installation is 7" x 7" x 96" of rigid fiberglass.  This allows significant effect in the sub 100Hz region.  When the products are installed along the ceiling/wall corner in a larger room, the effective fiberglass length can be 20 feet or longer.

These are intended as a final acoustic solution, one you can live with, and your spouse or SO can live with.  The Response product will remain as a budget product.

Those of you with Response product currently have many options for upgrading.  These panels will replace anything you currently have.  For starters we will recommend the treatment you see in the pics.  Floor to ceiling coverage.  It is up to you if you want to leave room at the top for your Corners or the upcoming corner piece that will exist in this product line.  I feel that this installation is as good as leaving space and using a corner, but using the new corner will certainly increase performance.

I recommend that absolutely anyone install these products with no hesitation.  They improve frequency response, dramatically improve soundstage, increase clarity, and make overall improvements that are hard to believe.  They can be installed permanently if you wish and made to be seamless with the room, can be decorated however you like with little to no compromise in sound quality.

Current product you have can be moved to other locations once you install these panels, taking your performance to yet another level.

Eduardo AAVM

Sneak Preview
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2004, 03:04 pm »
OK now tell me please, are they easy to install ? As easy as Response/Roompack ?

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2004, 03:08 pm »
Well, I don't know how anything could be as easy as push-pins, so no, they don't magically stick to the walls. :-)

Installation as noted in the first post is fairly easy and quick.  It consists of measuring and marking where the brackets will be installed, installing the brackets, then putting the fiberglass on, then the panel.  Obviously, if you want to paint them a custom color, or cover the joints with spackle and sand them down before painting then it will take a bit longer, but that is not necessary for acoustic reasons, only aesthetic ones.

jgubman

Sneak Preview
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2004, 05:43 pm »
In the photos, I notice a gap btwn the panels and the fiberglass. Is that gap necessary for optimal results, or can the panel be mounted flush w/ the walls?

Also, I assume that like the response product, these panels are geared to reflect/diffuse high-mid frequencies and absorb lower frequencies. Is that a correct assumption?

pugs

Sneak Preview
« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2004, 07:15 pm »
Do you put them in all four corners?  Will there be a trade in plan for the products I already have?

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2004, 01:52 pm »
Quote from: jgubman
In the photos, I notice a gap btwn the panels and the fiberglass. Is that gap necessary for optimal results, or can the panel be mounted flush w/ the walls?

Also, I assume that like the response product, these panels are geared to reflect/diffuse high-mid frequencies and absorb lower frequencies. Is that a correct assumption?

There is actually no gap between the fiberglass and the panels, but there is a gap from the panels to the wall, and that is very necessary.  Maybe you can explain more about what you are seeing.  Pictures can still be misleading.

These panels work on the same acoustic principles as the Response products do, but in a more developed and refined way.

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2004, 01:56 pm »
Quote from: pugs
Do you put them in all four corners?  Will there be a trade in plan for the products I already have?

You would put them in as many corners as you have, so yes.  For most people, at least temporarily, the extra Response products that you have will be best used in the ceiling/wall junction around the room.  I have not decided on a trade-in plan at this time.  The Response products are a budget product geared to be an introduction to acoustics.  There is probably a reasonable used market on the product however.  That is not to say that I won't do trade-ins, but I don't have plans for it yet.

JR

• http://www.soundscapehifi.com
Re: Sneak Preview
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2004, 08:01 pm »
Very nice

Can those be folded for shipping ?  As usual, always my issue :)

I hope you won't discontinue the Framed ?

And what are those Naim speakers doing away from the wall ?  :)

8thnerve

Re: Sneak Preview
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2004, 03:15 pm »
Quote from: JR
Very nice

Can those be folded for shipping ?  As usual, always my issue :)

I hope you won't discontinue the Framed ?

And what are those Naim speakers doing away from the wall ?  :)

They come in 48" panels.  If you can find me wood that folds I'll be happy to oblige! :-)

The Framed will not be discontinued, but may be changed.  The entire Response line will be undergoing a complete redesign very soon.

Uh, well, the Naim speakers are going far, far away from the wall as they are being sent back, but the new Arriva model which is sealed promises to be a great speaker and is quite happy away from the wall.

tksheng

Sneak Preview
« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2004, 10:01 pm »
What happened to this product? Is this already available?

8thnerve

Sneak Preview
« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2004, 01:12 pm »
Quote from: tksheng
What happened to this product? Is this already available?

No, it is not yet available.  The replacement products for the Response line will beat it out the door into production.  This product will still be released, but after the new Response products which should be by the end of the month.  Look for this custom product a few months after.  However, the new Response products borrow much of the technology from this custom product, so expect a new product that is very functional with performance surpassing any available acoustic product on the market, and that looks great!  In fact, the new products will be able to be custom colored by the customer, providing true integration into the room.

Eduardo AAVM

Sneak Preview
« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2004, 04:16 pm »
Those are great news, I really hope the new Response and this custom product can cope with WAF, I had 100% approval from men but 0% from wives  :evil: