TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

mrmky

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #1360 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:37 pm »

I know I'm late to the party, and there are better boards available, but I wanted to tweak a little and learn more than I would by just plugging in a stock amp. However, after making the above changes and comparing it to a stock board I am really not hearing any differences. These are playing through Altec Lansing Model19s, which I think can be considered a revealing speaker. The amps sound ok, but as others have noted, can be shrill and shouty especially on female vocals. In addition to the above changes I have some of the Bourns inductors on the way, and was thinking about a snubber mod as well.

I have yet to put them on a power supply other than a couple smps, 12v 12amp xbox360 supply/19.5v 4a laptop/12v 3a wall wart w a bank of caps on the supply. Again no difference detected in sound. I'm thinking about an Astron but am having second thoughts now.

The only thing I have found to make an appreciable difference was using it with a tube Mcintosh preamp on loan from a friend, wow, nice! This makes me think maybe I'd be better off just getting a sainsmart 2 or 3 tube pre as PG and several others have used with glowing reviews.

Any recommends? Start over with a different 3116 board? Finish my mods and keep going with pre and Astron? I love to tinker but would like more of a payoff in sound quality for my efforts.

Odal3

« Reply #1361 on: 23 Mar 2016, 07:50 pm »
A better powersupply will do wonders to the "shrill" sound. I'm very happy with the Astron.

Which board are you using?
All the different boards seems to have both strengths and weaknesses. I never liked my sure board, while I'm really enjoying the green audiobah as well as the cheap dual chip. If you want something really nice, also check out the Folsom 7297 chip amp. This is what I'm listening on nowadays. Really good dynamics and it has the "oumph" and bass I missed with the TPA boards.

Folsom

« Reply #1362 on: 23 Mar 2016, 08:29 pm »
I've got a TPA3116 right now. I'm experimenting with it a little bit. Thus far I can't seem to make it sound half as good as the 7297 Odal3 is talking about.

Don't get me wrong, for the price it's an exceptional little amp. I've got Blackgate input caps on it (N series). OSCON supply caps. Then there's a couple special inductors with 1ohm resistor before the PSU where I'm using Nichicon KG capacitors, 20kuf, following the best diodes I've ever used. Before the diodes is a CMC and caps. That's being fed by a dual bobbin transformer. And it's still just not good enough. It's good, but nothing I'd rank as special. My board could be better with improved inductors on output and bootstrap but... classD just doesn't do it for me. To me well done class AB like the 7297 is so much more like class A with better top end that I'm not so interested in classD.

I'm happy to entertain anyone on improving PSU quality into their TPA3116, if you plan to stick with it.

Markvdv

« Reply #1363 on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:04 am »
I think an appropriate outputfilter for Altec probably would be 220nF+33uH or even 220nF and 47uH. Now you have 680nF + 10uH. 4 of each. But you'll have to try. Setting gain to 20dB by removing one resistor is easy and will reduce noise among other benefits, especially with very efficient speakers. But maybe you did already? To make decoupling for tpa3116 work on your ampboard only option is using a tiny pcb drill and make a direct connection to gnd for the tiny smd's on pvcc pins. Now gnd return goes from these little ones back to the Oscons and then to gndplane, for the high frequencies involved, the ripple, this is a huge impedance, so effectively they do not work at all. To improve dynamic performance you can put the gvdd capacitor that now is directly behind white input socket towards tpa3116 chip on the two points both gainsetting resistors have on tpachip side.
Distance from your psu to the ampboard adds second harmonic distortion, some like that, but to hear the amp itself cut psu wires as short as possible.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kemet/R79GC3220Z340J/399-12625-ND/5731116
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/inductors-coils-chokes/fixed-inductors/196627?k=&pv66=2552&pv66=2266&FV=ffec4969%2C1c0002%2C4c000f%2C4c0011%2Cb84e84%2C1400008%2Cfff40003%2Cfff80013%2C4e80343%2C4e80585&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

wushuliu

« Reply #1364 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:04 am »
I've got a TPA3116 right now. I'm experimenting with it a little bit. Thus far I can't seem to make it sound half as good as the 7297 Odal3 is talking about.

Don't get me wrong, for the price it's an exceptional little amp. I've got Blackgate input caps on it (N series). OSCON supply caps. Then there's a couple special inductors with 1ohm resistor before the PSU where I'm using Nichicon KG capacitors, 20kuf, following the best diodes I've ever used. Before the diodes is a CMC and caps. That's being fed by a dual bobbin transformer. And it's still just not good enough. It's good, but nothing I'd rank as special. My board could be better with improved inductors on output and bootstrap but... classD just doesn't do it for me. To me well done class AB like the 7297 is so much more like class A with better top end that I'm not so interested in classD.

I'm happy to entertain anyone on improving PSU quality into their TPA3116, if you plan to stick with it.

Not sure what board you got and what you did with it but a good working tpa amp should sound pretty damn good. You should compare your amp with an equivalent modified like the wiener over at diyaudio. Otherwise ebay versions require lots of mods. It may not sound good out the packet like the tda given the tda has so few parts and therefore has a leg up in that regard. I think its a little dismissove to just lump it in with 'classd' especially as classd amps now come in such different flavors.

wushuliu

« Reply #1365 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:24 am »
Group buy 3 now open for gmarsh's weiner stereo and mono tpa boards over at diyaudio until may.2. These boards have amazing features including switchable gain and switching frequencies and they sound terrific. These are custom made and top notch. Best tpa boards available.

Folsom

« Reply #1366 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:45 am »
Not sure what board you got and what you did with it but a good working tpa amp should sound pretty damn good. You should compare your amp with an equivalent modified like the wiener over at diyaudio. Otherwise ebay versions require lots of mods. It may not sound good out the packet like the tda given the tda has so few parts and therefore has a leg up in that regard. I think its a little dismissove to just lump it in with 'classd' especially as classd amps now come in such different flavors.

Anyone's welcome to send me one to try (and I'll return it). I'm not convinced enough to continue modding.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #1367 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:59 am »
Anyone's welcome to send me one to try (and I'll return it). I'm not convinced enough to continue modding.

Jeremy AB man,lot's of good tdaxxxx's,there's also some very good LMxxxx's too...(forgot the're part number, long time ago, but if you google " high power lm op amps" you'll find them)

check these out Jeremy!
LM3875
LM3886

Folsom

« Reply #1368 on: 14 Apr 2016, 05:38 am »
Thanks George,

I've actually tried the LM3875 numerous times. It's an ok amp.

As far as AB amps go the TDA7297 is the only stand alone one I've been into. The rest seem to need control. The Modulous 86 would be an example.

Sure I've got two mods left for my TPA3116 to get it up to date, but I'm not hearing anything that indicates it'll have what I want when it's done. It's just too far away. It's still a good amp, and fits some systems well because it can put out 50w. It mostly just sounds like classD to me. Bang for buck it's pretty darn good. However if you're trying to persuade me don't forget I'm a total snob  :lol: .

lacro

« Reply #1369 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:49 pm »
I'm with Folsom on this one. Back when I started this thread experimenting with the TPA3110 boards (thanks wushuliu); a whole new world of great sound opened up. I have since followed with several versions of the TPA3110; TPA3116; TPA3118, and TDA8932. I did all the mods I could on the TPA boards which brought improvements for sure. But... something was always lacking. I don't doubt the gmarsh amps are the pinnacle of the DIY class D amps, and I may try a stereo version myself. I know Class D is the future with new chips being developed constantly. However, Class A, and AB amps now have my attention.

I recently purchased Folsom's TDA7297 bare board, and put it together. Wow! This is what I have been missing with the TPA's I won't even try to pin point the differences; it's just sounds so much better than anything else I have tried. I don't care to listen to anything else; this thing really sounds good! Many have tried the cheap Chinese versions of the TDA7297 that require extensive mods, but the Folsom board is a much better design :thumb: You owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Odal3

« Reply #1370 on: 14 Apr 2016, 04:33 pm »
Otherwise ebay versions require lots of mods. It may not sound good out the packet like the tda given the tda has so few parts and therefore has a leg up in that regard.
Actually, at least for the unmodded 7297 I got from ebay , it sounded really bad compared to unmodded TPA boards such as the green audiobah or the dualchip. Different presentation but kind of at the same level as an early version of the Sure tpa3110 to give an reference.

However, once modded per Folsom's instructions, or even better, when built from his bare board it really shines. I'm still a fan of the tpa sound and been tempted in the past to get one of the gmarch boards (and I may still get one in the future). Since I havent heard those board, I cant say if one is better than the other.  I'm sure both sounds good. However, just like Lacro said, I like the Folsom board so much I kind of lost the urge to try anything else at least in the near term  and have now been focusing on upgrading other equipment instead.

wushuliu

« Reply #1371 on: 14 Apr 2016, 07:27 pm »
To be clear, I'm not interested in a this amp vs. that amp. People like the 7297, great.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #1372 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:43 am »
Thanks George,

I've actually tried the LM3875 numerous times. It's an ok amp.

As far as AB amps go the TDA7297 is the only stand alone one I've been into. The rest seem to need control. The Modulous 86 would be an example.

Sure I've got two mods left for my TPA3116 to get it up to date, but I'm not hearing anything that indicates it'll have what I want when it's done. It's just too far away. It's still a good amp, and fits some systems well because it can put out 50w. It mostly just sounds like classD to me. Bang for buck it's pretty darn good. However if you're trying to persuade me don't forget I'm a total snob  :lol: .

Hi Jeremy,tda7297 has fixed gain!,that's not good in MHO,some very good TDA's, check out tda2040 and tda2050,and of course the LM's ive mentioned.

celo

« Reply #1373 on: 11 May 2016, 09:26 am »
I have had no time for my audio and finally getting back to it.
I bought the Sure3116 and before that SA-36Pro.
They were both good but I kept the Sure3116.
I use them without any modification since I cannot really do any soldering,etc.
So, now I want to buy a finished TPA3116 that is as good as Sure (they have no finished product).
I am wondering if anybody would suggest anything? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2016, 12:51 pm by celo »

wushuliu

« Reply #1374 on: 12 May 2016, 12:51 pm »
I have had no time for my audio and finally getting back to it.
I bought the Sure3116 and before that SA-36Pro.
They were both good but I kept the Sure3116.
I use them without any modification since I cannot really do any soldering,etc.
So, now I want to buy a finished TPA3116 that is as good as Sure (they have no finished product).
I am wondering if anybody would suggest anything? Thanks.

The best would be a gmarsh board at diyaudio. Comes fully built but you would need to get an enclosure. You can also ask fleawatt to build one for you. He is a member here. Google fleawatt amps.

siddharta42

« Reply #1375 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm »
I'm listening to my TPA3110D2 amp made by Rhing.  It has quality parts like Vampire RCAs and Insight 12v/5a power supply and Pangea AC cord.  Powering my 90db/4ohm JM Reynaud Twin Signature speakers the sound is very good, better that my NAD 3020, Cyrus 2, T-amp, B&K ST-140 or ASL Wave 8s with those speakers.  I've been using it with the built in volume control but plan to try it as a power amp with a Bottlehead Quickie as the preamp too.  The sound quality/value ratio is pretty amazing.

I realize this was posted 2,5 years ago.... but did you ever get around to trying the above, meaning Quickie with TPA3110D2 with JMR speakers? I've the TPA3116 feeding a pair of JM Reynaud's Emeraude and I quite like how that sounds. Some kind souls pointed me to Bottlehead preamps when asking for tube preamp kit recommendations, and I may order a Quickie to try my hand at building one of their kits.

Mortsnets

« Reply #1376 on: 25 Jul 2016, 04:57 am »
Yes, I did try the Quickie in front of the TPA3110D2 with the JMR speakers and liked it better than the TPA alone.  My favorite inexpensive solid state amp lately has been the NSMT modified Lepai but there is still something about tube power amps or integrated amps I come back to with the JMRs or my Omega Super 3XRS (RS5) speakers.

siddharta42

« Reply #1377 on: 25 Jul 2016, 08:52 am »
Yes, I did try the Quickie in front of the TPA3110D2 with the JMR speakers and liked it better than the TPA alone.  My favorite inexpensive solid state amp lately has been the NSMT modified Lepai but there is still something about tube power amps or integrated amps I come back to with the JMRs or my Omega Super 3XRS (RS5) speakers.

Thanks for that! The JMR speakers I've heard have indeed always sounded better paired with a good tube power amp. But I'm pleased with the TPA3116 amp and I'm looking forward to adding a pre stage to the signal path, I can't really justify the expense of a good tube amp for now. That Lepai also looks interesting, so many inexpensive digital amps to play around with...

Led

« Reply #1378 on: 20 Sep 2017, 09:40 pm »
Hi, Im new to the game and I've purchased a yj tpa3116d2.

I've taken everything off the board and replaced with what I think should be better components, including changing the output filter to suit my 8ohm full range speakers.

This is the result:

I'm using a YJ 6n3 single tube buffer (unity gain) for volume control - I'm thinking about replacing the capacitors on that too, just because I can ;)
(I have absolutely no complaints about the sound quality as is right now, I just like to tinker with stuff :))

Currently I'm running my tpa on a 19v laptop brick, but I've ordered a 24v power supply on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Converter-110v-220v-to-24V-MAX-9A-150W-Regulated-Transformer-LED-Power-Supply/222083846503?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will this be okay, or is it better to stick with the laptop brick?
(I've swapped the power caps on the tpa3116 board with 35v caps)

NewbCanuk

« Reply #1379 on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
Poultrygeist
In #476 you show that you used a fused link and an on/off switch. I am wondering what you used for both? I am building my blue amp now and am considering doing the same. My power supply is 24VDC 5 A. I am new at this and just want to get things correct. Thanks