Best of RMAF 2015

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Best of RMAF 2015
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:23 am »
Sometimes its hard for people to parse out the contributions for a given room.  Speakers hog the limelight.  The Vapor/Lampi room threw a lot of $ at the unsexy world of room treatments, and that obviously paid dividends.  People forget that the room is 75%+ of the final equation.  I have discovered that for myself....

You are a very wise man.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 7 Oct 2015, 07:20 pm »
Sometimes its hard for people to parse out the contributions for a given room.  Speakers hog the limelight.  The Vapor/Lampi room threw a lot of $ at the unsexy world of room treatments, and that obviously paid dividends.  People forget that the room is 75%+ of the final equation.  I have discovered that for myself....

Room is 75%?  Come on, I'll give you 30% ...

T&P, thanks again for the diligence over the years.  And you really should think about a seminar training reviewers how to do proper coverage. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2015, 09:01 pm »
Nobody wants to admit how important the room is because most of us are stuck with the size/shape and domestic limitations.  So we try to over compensate in typical alpha male mode with sexy gear (giant speakers, exotic tubes, thick faceplates, fat cables, lots of technology, etc.).  Don't know how a percentage can be assessed but speakers synergize more with the room than the amps IMO.

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2015, 09:04 pm »
Nobody wants to admit how important the room is because most of us are stuck with the size/shape and domestic limitations.  So we try to over compensate in typical alpha male mode with sexy gear (giant speakers, exotic tubes, thick faceplates, fat cables, lots of technology, etc.).  Don't know how a percentage can be assessed but speakers synergize more with the room than the amps IMO.
All factors matter I hesitate the make these assessments of what matters more. They all matter. Room size, shape, etc all make a difference.

a.wayne

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2015, 09:48 pm »

“Ryan and Co are one of the very few vendors we see that really and truly try to push the envelope for their products.  Separate bass cabinets, stacked ply construction, huge roundovers to avoid diffraction, acoustically asymmetric and optimized interiors, and clearly some of the best drivers in the world all add up to THE most consistent and best room at every show.  I’m giving Vapor my lifetime achievement award.  Yes, I just made that award up right now on the spot.  But dammit, they deserve it.”

A

The Vapor is a good product, but it's not the only one nor the first doing such stuff ..........

Geardaddy

« Reply #25 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:51 pm »
I was just noticing that all of the systems have the electronics between the speakers, when folks say that moving racks to the side wall significantly improves sound.  Even the rooms that tame corners and first reflections still have a bunch of reflective surfaces where they shouldn't.  Is it just the "framing" of electronics that's expected?  Room limitations?

+1

I find that it does.  I think its the limitations of space and needing a display....

Geardaddy

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:59 pm »
Room is 75%?  Come on, I'll give you 30% ...

T&P, thanks again for the diligence over the years.  And you really should think about a seminar training reviewers how to do proper coverage.

I used to think that until I got the room right.  Older audiophiles used to tell me the same thing, and I never listened.      My current room with vintage Bestbuy grade equipment (Apple Airport Express>>12 yr old Marantz AV integrated>>$200 Klipsch speakers and zipcord) trumped my "reference system" in are old living room.  It was embarrassing.  I have ALWAYS been more impressed by guys who could squeeze great sound from cheesy gear and skillful setup than bimbos with checkbooks (like myself).   

Geardaddy

« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:01 pm »

That is the sad truth.  Speaker room interface or "room as speaker." 

dynamicd

« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2015, 03:36 pm »
Hey Jason & Tyson,

Whaaatsupp! You dudes rock, you tell it like it is and we're all lucky for that! Beautiful coverage as always, sad to see this is the end, what can we do to change your minds on this??? I, for one, am willing to donate 50 cents and an open tab next time I see you in Denver to the cause to keep this going.

Now that all the pleasantries have been dispensed with, Tyson thanks for your kind words on room 422 (Jason, I'm still waiting on yours, you're totally on the hook) and your awarding room 422 w/Daedalus Audio, Dynamic Design, ModWright Instruments and, Purity Audio your highly coveted best sounding rooms at the show...WOW, talk at about validating the efforts and team work that went into making this room happen...

Hopefully this is not really goodbye and I'll catch you at RMAF next year. Great JOB fellas!!! :D

Olu Sonuga
Dynamic Design AV