Data point on Oppo BD83 as a CDP

dsa220

Re: Data point on Oppo BD83 as a CDP
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2009, 07:34 pm »
More bright vs the Arcam (maybe will change with break in).

Funny, my experience is slightly the opposite. Compared to a Philips795SA (DVD/CD/SACD) the OPPO 83 sounds dull, almost tube like. When I compared the analog output of the OPPO to one of the the internal DACs on my Primare, I get the same thing, the analog outs sound slightly dull, not by a lot, but enough that several people listening could tell the difference. I even took the time and effort to make sure the digital and analog inputs were matched (a nice feature of the Primare).

I was using the front outputs of the group of eight as I am also listening to SACD's (which sound better than on my Philips). Maybe I will try the other front outputs to see if there is a difference.

Equipment used:
Primare SP-31.7 mkII
Parasound A-23 - Front L/R
Parasound HCA 855A - C/SL/SR/RL/RR
Outlaw ICBM - Side/Rear X-Over

Speakers:
ProAc Studio 100 - Front L/R
Definative Technology C/L/R 1000 - Center
Boston Acoustics CR-67/57 - Sides & Rears

Subs:
Definative Technologies PF-15+ - LFE
REL Strata II - Front L/R Sub
Sony SW-2500 - Rear Woofer

BobC

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2009, 08:00 pm »
Hmm, I'm using the stereo outs. 
There are 2 DACs in the BD83.  2CH uses a Cirrus CS4398 and Multi Channel uses CS4382A.
Suggest you try the stereo outs and see if it still sounds dull to you. 

For the record..my system...
Sources: Oppo BD83 or Arcam DV78
Line Stage: Odyssey Audio Candela
Amps:  Odyssey Audio Mono Extreme SE's
Speakers:  Martin Logan Ascent i's
Sub: Velodyne SPL1200(?)
Cables:  Groneberg TS Premuim

I love my Logans, but one of the drawbacks I've notices is that certain recordings can sound a bit bright with enough volume.

Cheers.   :beer:

dsa220

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:12 am »
Well I hooked up the other 2 channel outputs and this sounds closer to the DAC in my Primare (Primare still nudges it though, but not by as much - $ vs $$).

It seems odd though, looking at the specifications for the two different DACs, they are essentially the same with the exception of the number of channels they process. Maybe it's in the way the power supply/ground plane is configured, little more stable/rigid for 2 channel.

I will say I enjoy SACD through the OPPO more than my Philips and it's decoding of [legacy] DD/DTS is also pretty good, and of course the High Resolution stuph is awesome and is one of the reasons I like the unit as I have no desire to change out my Primare for newer processor/receiver.

BobC, have you noticed any erratic operation of your unit after upgrading the firmware?

Regards,

DSA

dvenardos

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:32 am »
DSA,
  It sounds like you are outputting everything through the 7.1 outputs of the Oppo? This is how I would like to use the Oppo. I have my CI-VDA2 for two channel. Can you expound on how the sound is for movies? You like the SACD output but I understand that DVD-A is still pretty flakey.

Thanks,
Don

BobC

« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:48 am »
BobC, have you noticed any erratic operation of your unit after upgrading the firmware?

Haven't noticed anything wrong yet.  Though to be fair, I really haven't had much of an opportunity to play around with it since the update, ie only watched 1 movie.

Only thing that irritates me is the remote isn't as responsive as I'd like, but it's not that big of a deal.

dsa220

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:28 am »
I currently have 12 wires running between my OPPO and my Primare, these are:

8 for the 7.1 configuration. This allows me to listen to SACDs and the High Resolution Audio (DTS Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, etc…) found on Blu-Ray Discs.

2 more for 2-channel audio. This is a separate audio input from the 7.1 listed above, although I can listen to 2-channel through the above configuration as well. My reason is the DACs are different between the multi-channel and the 2-channel outputs and the 2-channel DAC appears cleaner, at least with standard Red Book CD’s. Also, when I do listen to cd’s, there is no need to have 5 additional channels of amplification on, so I turn off my Parasound 855.

1 COAX for legacy DD/DTS or if I want to use the internal DAC of my Primare for 2-channel cd, just for comparison purposes.

1 Composite Video, in case I get an HDMI handshake issue, I can still get into the OPPO to make changes if needed.

The Primare is so versatile (and intuitive once configured) that switching between the above listed configurations is so easy that I never think about it.

As far as DVD-Audio is concerned, OPPO just released the software for this support, but since I do not have any DVD-Audio discs, I can not make any comments on the audio quality or stability of this format, as I stated earlier, SACD’s sound very good to me.

The internal decoding of legacy DD/DTS is actually very very, good, but again my Primare is just a little better. Hard to pin down, you would have to hear my system to understand.

High Resolution stuff is just awesome; Hellboy II, Iron Man and the Dark Knight all redefined what was possible [audio wise] in my room.

Regards,

DSA

dsa220

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:37 am »
Only thing that irritates me is the remote isn't as responsive as I'd like, but it's not that big of a deal.

Ditto!!!

Play some Red Book CD's and see if anything unusual happens; skip forward to a new song and also try it in Pure Audio Mode. Make sure it is a disk you know very well, especially the sequence of songs. Mine has randomly played the same song over and over, then jumped to a new song (say from Track 2 to Track 7) then do the same thing again, only in Pure Audio Mode. In standard mode, it appears to be OK.

I have already reported this to OPPO, hopefully it's just my player and the can get it resolved.

Regards,

DSA

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:39 pm »
I noticed this about the remote also but once I got the codes into my URC 850 the response is immediate.

BobC

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2009, 03:55 pm »
Update:  I took my Arcam DV78 to a local dealer to compare head-to-head with a Cambridge Audio DACMagic.  The DACMagic edged the Arcam.  A little more definition / detail.  Bass was a bit tighter.

So sold the Arcam and used the $$$ to fund the DACMagic.  Now have the DACMagic paired with a Logitech Duet, so the Oppo is video only now.

I'd say the Oppo is probably broken in by now, but the DAC is not.  Logic tells me that the DAC should sound better than the Oppo for 2ch, but I'll probably compare the two later, just for kicks.