NC400 anyone bridging it yet?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: NC400 anyone bridging it yet?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:49 pm »
Is he saying that you would need two SMPS600's for each pair of NC400's?

Yes.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2012, 02:52 pm »
Is he saying that you would need two SMPS600's for each pair of NC400's?

Yes, one PS per Amp Module to get the full additional power, as the max output of the SMPS600 is 600 watts.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2012, 08:06 pm »
While many are thinking of the bridged N-cores because they have relatively inefficient speakers and play loud....there are those like myself who are looking for better sound at low wattage levels.  My speakers run from 300hz on up and currently are 89db but will soon be 92+  I will never need more than 25 watts.  However, I want the best sound possible.  The bridged N-Cores may sound better in the first few watts....this is what I am interested in.  Many other people have 95db speakers and don't need the extra power but may want better sound too.  I am hoping that balanced bridged plain sounds better at all levels of power.

Another thing that may be limiting the grunt capability of the stock N-core may be its tiny power supply caps.  What if you could add say a 10,000uf Jensen cap to the rail of each amp right off the output module (assuming the power supply can handle it).  The sound would certainly be different and maybe more ballsy.  Same with adding some large value poly caps across the rails as well......not to mention larger gauge wire from the power supply to the module.  So, we have lots to experiment with but just running them bridged may be a whole nuther level by itself.

Who will be the first to listen to bridged amps?

cab

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jun 2012, 08:15 pm »
You might save yourself some time by reading the owner's manual and spec sheet....

Distortion at low power levels is already so low that it is beneath the noise floor of the measuring equipment.

Hypex has already said that adding any additional caps to the SMPS is a no-no....

Ric Schultz

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm »
Of course I have read the specs, etc.  So silly this kind of talk.  What do measurements have to do with tweaking?  If you like binding posts then please solder a bunch of them together for your speaker wire....I am sure it won't measure worse. he he.

Please share with me the exact post to read where Bruno said you cannot add power supply capacitance.  I would like to read this.  Thanks.

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2012, 12:13 am »
The Ncores may be different, but all the amps I ever tried to bridge back in the 80's and 90's always sounded worse.

mgalusha

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2012, 01:56 am »
Please share with me the exact post to read where Bruno said you cannot add power supply capacitance.  I would like to read this.  Thanks.

It's called a data sheet.

"*** The effective power supply storage capacitance of Hypex SMPS is already in excess of 4700uF. Do
not add supplementary capacitance. "

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jun 2012, 02:58 am »
The Ncores may be different, but all the amps I ever tried to bridge back in the 80's and 90's always sounded worse.

The bridged Spectrons were revelatory.  Not even close; they transformed from the decent sounding stereo version.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2012, 03:45 am »
Thanks Mike for that info.  I see it now in the data sheet.  However, there are no large values of caps on the audio board or on the power supply.  Maybe this 4700uf is as he says  "effective"...meaning done via capacitance multipliers?  He does not say the unit will not function if you add them, just he says not to do it.  What I am is a possibilities type of guy.    I am always pushing the envelope of those that say "no".  I just emailed Jan-Peter/Bruno and will see if I can get some more info.  Keep questioning, pushing the envelope and keep thinking....this is what makes this game fun....it never ends....no one knows everything and we need all think for ourselves.  I am not interested in smoking a power supply or module, believe me....but what are the possibilities? 

GS

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2012, 02:07 pm »
The bridged Spectrons were revelatory.  Not even close; they transformed from the decent sounding stereo version.

What do you expect from bridged Ncores?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jun 2012, 02:29 pm »
Dunno, good question.  The only reason I am interested is that I have power hungry behemoths as speakers, and the only aspect I've reported with monoblock NCore's is a lack of the sort of dynamics I am used to, which was an area the Spectrons improved when bridged.  That's all..  Hoping someone reports back soon.

GS

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2012, 05:51 pm »
Dunno, good question.  The only reason I am interested is that I have power hungry behemoths as speakers, and the only aspect I've reported with monoblock NCore's is a lack of the sort of dynamics I am used to, which was an area the Spectrons improved when bridged.  That's all..  Hoping someone reports back soon.

I think also that your speakers will benefit.
After the summer I am building the Ncores in a 3 ch front. I have maggies.
Will see what's coming, perhaps Ric Schultz is shining some light in the dark.
Jerry

Emile

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2012, 08:20 am »

In the same boat here, I have bridged spectrons, I managed to run the ncore's into protection yesterday after adding some acoustic panels to my room, atleast they turn off nicely and recover pretty swiftly, no nastyness there.. Restriction of dynamics happens way before running them into protection, well ofcourse not fair comparing them to spectrons which can deliver like 10 times more power.

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2012, 02:15 pm »
In the same boat here, I have bridged spectrons, I managed to run the ncore's into protection yesterday after adding some acoustic panels to my room, atleast they turn off nicely and recover pretty swiftly, no nastyness there.. Restriction of dynamics happens way before running them into protection, well ofcourse not fair comparing them to spectrons which can deliver like 10 times more power.
What speaker/load are you driving and at what kind of levels, room size, etc?

Emile

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:05 am »
What speaker/load are you driving and at what kind of levels, room size, etc?

4 ohm load, ~88 dB efficiency, ~17x23 ft room.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:56 am »
4 ohm load, ~88 dB efficiency, ~17x23 ft room.

Interesting...

My speakers are also a 4ohm load (Vandy 5A's) and even less efficient at 86 or 87 db's.  My room is 29x17x8 and opens up into the kitchen and a 2 story entrance foyer.  I played music so that it hit over 100 db peaks from 15-17' away and I never heard the amps clip, get hard or glassy.

Is that 4 ohm load a nominal 4 ohms with dips much lower?

Just goes to show...careful system matching is always required.

George

jackman

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:01 pm »
I haven't tried the N-Core yet but I'm not a fan of bridging based on my limited experience in this area.  I have a Coda amp that can be run bridged 2 channel or non-bridged 4 channel mode.  I tested it several times in bridged and unbridged mode and, although the bridged mode is much more powerful, I prefer the sound in non-bridged mode, even though I'm only using 2 channels.  My monitors are 4 ohms.  The non-bridged mode is much cleaner and better sounding, to me at least.  I had Phil Bamberg over a few months ago to help dial in my system and ran a blind A/B comparison of bridged versus non-bridged and he picked the non-bridged mode every time. 

This was a surprise to me because I had been running the system in bridged for a while (it's way more powerful so I thought it would be naturally superior, better headroom, etc.).  Don't know if the same would be true of the N-Core but I'd encourage someone who is considering running these bridged to compare them to a non-bridged N-Core system before assuming bridged is going to sound better.  Honestly, I thought it sounded pretty good in bridged mode and I was surprised the non-bridged mode sounded so much better.  My system has never sounded better but I'm going to check out the N-Core when I have a chance.  Hopefully at Roscoe's place when the demo pair makes its way to Chicago.

TomS

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:52 pm »
Yes, I think every situation is different with bridging, depending on load characteristics, etc.

I had two BEL 1001 amps that when bridged were an entirely different (good) beast, not at all related to levels/power demands approaching clipping. As a single stereo amp, it was just good, but not great.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:58 pm »
Yes, I think every situation is different with bridging, depending on load characteristics, etc.

I had two BEL 1001 amps that when bridged were an entirely different (good) beast, not at all related to levels/power demands approaching clipping. As a single stereo amp, it was just good, but not great.

+1

I've only a sampling of two (Modwrights and Spectrons) but when bridged they each blossomed, and their stereo counterparts weren't clipping.

George, my issue wasn't clipping, hardness or glassy feel at all.  Just dynamics.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
+1

I've only a sampling of two (Modwrights and Spectrons) but when bridged they each blossomed, and their stereo counterparts weren't clipping.

George, my issue wasn't clipping, hardness or glassy feel at all.  Just dynamics.

Understood.

Of course, I have the luxury of the having the built in subs and not asking the amps to handle below ~100 hz.

George