Performance gains

floresjc

Performance gains
« on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:08 pm »
Are Salk owners seeing big performance gains over competitor brands in HT applications, or mainly 2 channel? Also, for any owners who may own multiple Salk offerings, do you notice the biggest difference in 2 channel applications vice HT?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Performance gains
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:15 pm »
I think the answers to your questions will vary depending on where somebody is focusing their energy and/or budget.

The Salk speakers are equally good and at home on a HT or two channel setup.  How well they perform (in terms of their own limits) is influenced by their associated equipment, room, etc...

BTW, I subscribe to the camp that says if the speakers sound good for two channel, they will sound good for HT.  Outside of the lowest bass (which should be handled by sub(s) anyway) there aren't unique requirements for HT over two channel.

George

floresjc

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:23 pm »
No there aren't unique requirements per se. But I was thinking of this scenario. If someone were to invest in HT3's over HT2's or a competitor's brand, in HT application, the HT3's main advantage on the low end would be passed over to a sub. So it would seem that if HT was your primary use, perhaps cheaper is better if that is indeed the case. Of course, thats kind of assuming that above a certain frequency, say 40hz, HT2 = HT3.

I gather that most here are seeing HT3's in all their glory in dedicated 2 channel setups, where as ST and HT2 are pretty popular for HT since the low end punch doesn't have to be in the mains as much. Or perhaps people are seeing quite a bit of performance gain by using the high end speakers in terms of clarity of dialogue and such.

I should say, that the same would seem to hold for HT2 and ST, but I guess thats why I'm asking. I'm kind of 50/50 with my usage, so I'm not sure.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:31 pm »
No there aren't unique requirements per se. But I was thinking of this scenario. If someone were to invest in HT3's over HT2's or a competitor's brand, in HT application, the HT3's main advantage on the low end would be passed over to a sub. So it would seem that if HT was your primary use, perhaps cheaper is better if that is indeed the case. Of course, thats kind of assuming that above a certain frequency, say 40hz, HT2 = HT3.

I gather that most here are seeing HT3's in all their glory in dedicated 2 channel setups, where as ST and HT2 are pretty popular for HT since the low end punch doesn't have to be in the mains as much. Or perhaps people are seeing quite a bit of performance gain by using the high end speakers in terms of clarity of dialogue and such.

I think the driving factor is cost, not performance.

Would I rather have 5 HT3's in my HT instead of 5 ST's??  Of course I would!!  But my budget simply doesn't allow that.  How low each plays is irrelevant in my decision making process.

The performance improvement of the HT3's over the ST's doesn't get diminished by having them in a HT setup - assuming that one was serious about extracting as much information and enjoyment out of their HT as possible.  While the HT3's have great bass, they still don't have enough for a serious HT system.  Plus, you want to handle the .1 channel (LFE) separately from your L/R channels.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:34 pm »
Few have dedicated spaces.  Many have dual purpose rooms.  If just HT I have always said the HT3 would not be fully appreciated even if you did cross it over lower than normal (you chose).  In the same vein, a TL version HT2 is also potentially wasted.  The older version HT2 would be a killer choice for HT with the Seas drivers and ribbons assuming a proper sub integration.

Now if I had unlimited funds a full HT3 7.2 set up would be stellar - just because.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:39 pm »

I should say, that the same would seem to hold for HT2 and ST, but I guess thats why I'm asking. I'm kind of 50/50 with my usage, so I'm not sure.

You're welcome to plug the ST's into my HT system when you come over Saturday.  I'm currently running a 3-way version of the Ellis 1801, which uses the W18 and 0W4, and a good sealed subwoofer.  My personal opinion is that the most speaker $ should go into the music system.  But I can't think of any reason why speakers that sound great on music won't sound great in HT.    

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm »
Big Red -

Thats kind of my line of thought. Although I wasn't nearly so concise. HT3's all around would be money.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2009, 11:45 pm »
Few have dedicated spaces.  Many have dual purpose rooms.  If just HT I have always said the HT3 would not be fully appreciated even if you did cross it over lower than normal (you chose).  In the same vein, a TL version HT2 is also potentially wasted.  The older version HT2 would be a killer choice for HT with the Seas drivers and ribbons assuming a proper sub integration.

Now if I had unlimited funds a full HT3 7.2 set up would be stellar - just because.

Pete,

I totally thought and felt this way until Blu-ray came out and brought along hi-rez music and movies.  Now I want high resolution AND full range speakers that allow me to maximize the source material and my personal enjoyment.

George  

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:03 am »
With all the good answers from George, Pete and Dennis, I can't add anything else intelligent.

At this point, your imagination seems to be working overtime.  I think you need to spend more time listening to some Salk speakers and less time thinking :icon_lol:.

floresjc

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:03 am »
zybar  -

I guess I kinda forgot about the hi-def Bluray sound. I don't currently decode it, so I forget. That completely changes the scenario, and one would want as much full range as you could get.

floresjc

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:06 am »
With all the good answers from George, Pete and Dennis, I can't add anything else intelligent.

At this point, your imagination seems to be working overtime.  I think you need to spend more time listening to some Salk speakers and less time thinking :icon_lol:.

I know! Got an appointment, but it seems like such a *long* wait till Saturday. Work was dragging by today. Plus its rainy out, so all its all I can do to sit and ponder. I think I've been over Wyred4Sound and AVAhifi 400 times. I'm into the realm of audio theory until I can get to Saturday...

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:33 am »
Wish I could demo some Hi Rez, but my receiver is old school. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:35 am »

Come on up to Boston and I'll provide a few different demos for you Dennis.   :green:

George

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2009, 01:08 am »

BTW, I subscribe to the camp that says if the speakers sound good for two channel, they will sound good for HT.  Outside of the lowest bass (which should be handled by sub(s) anyway) there aren't unique requirements for HT over two channel.

George
I agree, except for one thing: extreme dynamics.  Some people feel that ridiculously efficient speakers are the only thing suitable to be used with home theater.  I am not in this camp, as I don't listen at reference levels, and most of the "peaks" are usually in the nether bass regions, which the subwoofer can handle.  Crossing over to 80Hz will help even further as far as worrying about those peaks damaging your speakers goes. 

If you don't listen to movies at ear bleeding levels, the Salk's are great.  If your room isn't utterly gigantic, the Salk's are great.  If the name of your game is sheer dynamics, well, there are a only a few brands out there that will deliver, but at the expense of skimping on other important design aspects.  I wouldn't ever give up the impressive qualities of my SongTower RT's for more headroom and crazy SPL's.  Never!

On the flip side, if I had a dedicated home theater I'd go with something else over the SongTower's and instead use the ST's for 2.x music and multichannel music.  My choice for a dedicated HT right now would be the Salk HTS's or Seaton Catalysts.  That way I'd have "the best of both worlds."  :)  YMMV

P.S.  My comments pertain ONLY to the SongTowers.  I am sure the HT2's, V3's and HT3's will fill a large room easily.  Oh, and I look forward to your impressions from this weekend's listening session at Dennis' home.  Please keep us posted!

floresjc

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2009, 01:41 am »
Nuance -

I'm very excited about hearing some Salks up close for the first time. Saturday seems to have transformed slowly into somewhat of an event. Originally I was hoping to get about 20 mins with someone in the area who had anything, but I was really fortunate to get some time with Dennis who has a few of the systems I'm interested in. He even encouraged meto drag one of my Rockets over there (it really wasn't that hard and I'm sure it will really help) and get some side by side comparison going, and I think Dennis wanted to take some measurements for his own edification. And maybe just for giggles, I'll challenge him to a violin duel (I played years ago), winner takes HT4 prototype.

I'm half tempted to take a notebook, I'm sure after listening to so many different things, I'm going to have to write it down to keep it all straight.  Of course, the easiest solution would be to just work alot more and buy a pair of everything Jim offers...

Going to be a long two days, I can already feel it. I'll probly spend a chunk of tomorrow evening rounding up some songs to make a custom demo cd of stuff I really know, and would show different aspects of the system.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2009, 02:21 am »

Come on up to Boston and I'll provide a few different demos for you Dennis.   :green:

George

Be careful what you ask for.   I'll be in Boston on April 17 giving a lecture at the New England School of Medicine .........   But no--wait--I have to catch the 5:00 U.S. Air shuttle back to D.C., so you're off the hook.  Sorry to scare you like that. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:01 am »

George

Be careful what you ask for.   I'll be in Boston on April 17 giving a lecture at the New England School of Medicine .........   But no--wait--I have to catch the 5:00 U.S. Air shuttle back to D.C., so you're off the hook.  Sorry to scare you like that. 

Dear Dennis:

Ahh, too bad you can't stay.  You'll be adjacent to China Town, and I would have been delighted, if you allowed me, to take you for a nice heart-healthy lunch or dinner.  (If you go to China Town, East Ocean City has excellent Hong Kong-style seafood.)

OITP

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:25 am »
Yup--I know the area well.  Except that the folks at the NESM always take me to a Thai joint instead of Chinese for lunch.  Actually, my plans aren't set in stone, so it might be worth seeing whether some kind of get-to-gether would be possible. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:28 am »
"I'll challenge him to a violin duel (I played years ago), winner takes HT4 prototype."

I'll take you up on that one.  I've been practicing.    Jim did ship the HT4 cabinets out today.  Hopefully they'll arrive Friday and I can give you a proper demo. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:46 am »
Yup--I know the area well.  Except that the folks at the NESM always take me to a Thai joint instead of Chinese for lunch.  Actually, my plans aren't set in stone, so it might be worth seeing whether some kind of get-to-gether would be possible. 

There are several Salk owners in the area.  A get-together would be great.  NEMC is only 10 minutes, barring heavy traffic, from both my home and my office but a bit farther for George.   If we meet, I would be happy to return you to Logan afterward to catch a shuttle.  I'll block the day in my book, just in case.  :thumb: