Quan's SoundScape 8 Center (SS8C)

guf

Re: Quan's SoundScape 8 Center (SS8C)
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:09 pm »
my girl friend pointed out the awesomeness of the bass trap (she calls all room treatments bass traps) mounted on the track on the wall. After she said "is this a new center channel you are going to have to get?"

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:06 pm »
Nice set up! I'm guessing you can hit 140db with all that air being moved by all those awesome speakers. Thanks for the diminsions, I'm looking on how to fit that SS8C in my room. Enjoy, Pete

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:16 am »
Quan, your room looks awesome buddy, with that monster center tying it all together. Too cool man.

Have you thought about putting down a rug between you and the system to cover that hard wood?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:19 am »

Man that's gotta be one sweet sounding system.  :thumb: I especially like how you've raised the height of the center so to create that seemless soundstage, something your postioning of your TV has allowed you to do. Sure would be nice to know what your whole A/V system consists of. It's defintely something to be very proud of.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Austin08

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:24 am »
Quan, your room looks awesome buddy, with that monster center tying it all together. Too cool man.

Have you thought about putting down a rug between you and the system to cover that hard wood?

I have a 4” frabic filled mattress which I recycled from my broken futon- in front of my LP (you guy could not see in the picture because I use to fold it back on regular days). Crazy but quite effective and my wife and my son love to take a rest on it everytime we watch movie. :wink:
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 01:01 pm by Austin08 »

mykyll2727

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:00 am »
Quan, I agree with the others. Truly awesome setup! :thumb: I'm sure it must sound amazing.  :green: You have every right to be very proud.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:32 am »
Great system

Are those salk subs in the corner?  Ouch

What do you have them rolled off at?

Austin08

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:25 am »

Man that's gotta be one sweet sounding system.  :thumb: I especially like how you've raised the height of the center so to create that seemless soundstage, something your postioning of your TV has allowed you to do. Sure would be nice to know what your whole A/V system consists of. It's defintely something to be very proud of.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Not much at all,

Main system,

Bat VK31 with 6 match NOS tubes Emperex 7308 jan white lable.
Bat vk6200 amp
Sony XA5400es SACD player.
Classe SSP60 processor.
Oppo 105 (sometime next week).
Dedicated custom pc for music and streaming with Asus Xonar Essence.
Salk sound SS8s and center.
Definitive BPVX dipole surround speaker.
Dual Rythmik FV15hp se subwoofer.
All kimber ICs and speaker cables.
BPT 3.5 signature plus power conditioner.

Will see how the new Oppo act as DAC or ortherwise, I will get the W4S Dac2 or Bryston Dac

Second system (bedroom)

CJ CAV50 intergrate
CJ DR1 cd transport
CJ DA2b tube dac
Triangle 30th Anniversary Comete special editon speaker.
Oppo 83se Nuforce edition blu ray player.
All Kimber ICs and speaket cables.

I always want a turntable system but somehow never got chance to make it happen.

Austin08

« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:35 am »
Great system

Are those salk subs in the corner?  Ouch

What do you have them rolled off at?

Originally, I though of ordering from Jim dual 12” subs but as that time my friend offered me a very good deal on his dual Rythmik FV15hp (he got 4 of them). So, I took the deal and save bunch of money.

I am mostly using these subs for movie and blu ray concerts discs. I cross them at 50hz. They pressurize the room evenly (sometimes, they scare the heck out of me).

Austin08

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:48 am »
my girl friend pointed out the awesomeness of the bass trap (she calls all room treatments bass traps) mounted on the track on the wall. After she said "is this a new center channel you are going to have to get?"

I have 2 panels on sliding track that help me cover 80% of that large window ( First reflection point). Also, they help me tone down the sound from that side a bit since I have a big opening wall to my dinning room on the other side.

I also got one big panel 4x8x6" on the back of my LP and it is on track, too. ( half of the back wall is stair case to upper level)

Even the bass traps 4x7x8" for 2 back corner are on mobile. I installed furniture sliders on the bottom and put cabinet handles on either side of the panels for easy moving around. I tuck them in the closet when not in use.

A bit of work and compromise but I am very happy with the outcome since I don't have a dedicated listening room and there is a wife to please. Good thing is, it only takes me 2minutes to set all that up and running.  :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 03:53 pm by Austin08 »

fsimms

« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2012, 03:48 pm »
OMG!  :thumb:

Bob

stlblues

« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:07 pm »
Man you should charge admission :lol: Seriously, killer system and beautiful :thumb:

Will see how the new Oppo act as DAC or ortherwise, I will get the W4S Dac2 or Bryston Dac

Let us know how that Oppo works out as DAC.
btw Went for the W4S ST-500 so far so good but only a few hours on it.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #32 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:26 pm »

have you tried the ss8s without the subs for music?
just interrested in the difference

crossed over probably gives you a lot more headroom on your amp

thanks for listing your equipment
you reminded me I need to get on the Oppo 105 registry list
done, awaiting an upgrade to my Oppo 83

Saturn94

« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:55 pm »
Man you should charge admission :lol: Seriously, killer system and beautiful :thumb:

+1

Austin08

« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:18 pm »
have you tried the ss8s without the subs for music?
just interrested in the difference

crossed over probably gives you a lot more headroom on your amp

thanks for listing your equipment
you reminded me I need to get on the Oppo 105 registry list
done, awaiting an upgrade to my Oppo 83

Thanks for mention running system without subs. I am trying right now. The Salk trio produce cleaner and tigher bass. (maybe due to seal box design). This will be a very good set up for acoustic jazz. The Rythmiks does adding more weight to bass. I think I will running my system with subs when listening to heavy rock concert and movie. Right at this moment, I am listening to Santana live concert in montreux and running without subs in DTS-HD surround. I am 100% sure that I can live without the Rythmik when listening music ( do missing some bass weight). and have to have subs when watching movie.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:37 pm »

Thanks for mention running system without subs. I am trying right now. The Salk trio produce cleaner and tigher bass. (maybe due to seal box design). This will be a very good set up for acoustic jazz. The Rythmiks does adding more weight to bass. I think I will running my system with subs when listening to heavy rock concert and movie. Right at this moment, I am listening to Santana live concert in montreux and running without subs in DTS-HD surround. I am 100% sure that I can live without the Rythmik when listening music ( do missing some bass weight). and have to have subs when watching movie.

That was my experience as well Quan.  The SS8's absolutely stand on their own in terms of range, but adding subs really increases the "feel" of the bass - gives it more body.  In fact, once I was breaking in some tubes and left the system running overnight, but turned off the subs.  I forgot that I turned off the subs and did bump up the sub level a couple of times without thinking about it.  Never noticed that I had left them off until I went to fiddle with the settings on the subs themselves.  Of course, when I turned them back on, I immediately noticed the difference.  But it took a long time to realize they were off.  Impressive!

........Peter

I just realized I now have guf's speakers as my avatar!   :icon_surprised:  I guess I'll need to change it again.  :cry:  Hmm, back to my grateful dead dancing bear as I have on AVS, blue wolf I used to have here?  Maybe I'll take a shot of my CJ tube amp - particularly if I can get a good shot with glowing tubes.  :D

Austin08

« Reply #36 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:47 pm »

Another personal note,

Early this morning, I fire my system up and start  doing my very first critical listening and fine tune the whole thing together. I notice my center sound a bit darker and less alive compare to my SS8s. (Oh no, this can be real) After some crossover adjustment and recalibrate the sound, even try swapping out ICs and speaker cable - still not very happy with the outcome. So, thinking and thinking. It must be something to do with the positioning of the center. My wife and I, we musle around with it a bit and finally I do a little modify to one of the component stand that I have make years ago. The stand will lift my center up another 2” (that make it 18” from the floor) and tilt it up another 1”.

What a drasmatic changing. Now, my center sound alive and as good as my SS8s tower. The whole thing is seamless and bring my system sound from very good to extreamly good.

Austin08

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:28 pm »
Maybe I'll take a shot of my CJ tube amp - particularly if I can get a good shot with glowing tubes.  :D

Peter, you can put color led light hiding some where around the tubes. Those color led lights will make your tubes glow beautiful for pictures .  :thumb:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:42 pm »

Peter, you can put color led light hiding some where around the tubes. Those color led lights will make your tubes glow beautiful for pictures .  :thumb:

I'll experiment, thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #39 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:48 pm »

Another personal note,

Early this morning, I fire my system up and start  doing my very first critical listening and fine tune the whole thing together. I notice my center sound a bit darker and less alive compare to my SS8s. (Oh no, this can be real) After some crossover adjustment and recalibrate the sound, even try swapping out ICs and speaker cable - still not very happy with the outcome. So, thinking and thinking. It must be something to do with the positioning of the center. My wife and I, we musle around with it a bit and finally I do a little modify to one of the component stand that I have make years ago. The stand will lift my center up another 2” (that make it 18” from the floor) and tilt it up another 1”.

What a drasmatic changing. Now, my center sound alive and as good as my SS8s tower. The whole thing is seamless and bring my system sound from very good to extreamly good.

Could be the extra fine tuning was due to how far back your center's positioned from the SS8's, something I didn't notice in your system picture. I would think the optimal position would to have all 3 speakers equallateral distance from your listening position but so long as you've found a way to make it work, that's what counts. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin