I'm contemplating juicing as a meal replacement for one meal a day...

RDavidson

The best advice for anyone who is insulin resistant or diabetic is to avoid carbohydrates.  Do not eat fruits (other than maybe berries, and only few of those), any whole or not whole grain, pasta, bread, etc.  Do not drink beer.  If you want alcohol, choose wine or hard liquor.  Raise your fat level (fat does not cause weight gain, carbohydrates do). 

There is some evidence that certain prebiotics (such as rice and potatoes) can be eaten and not cause a blood sugar increase.  Personally, the jury for me is still out on that.  I avoid any of these also, but will partake of them rarely. 

I used to eat less than 10 percent of my calories as fat, because I believed in the "experts".  I ate some kind of hot grain cereal for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and rice and beans for dinner.  I couldn't understand why I was hungry all the time, my emotions were out of control, and I could eat a high carb meal and be hungry literally 10 minutes later.  It was because my blood sugar and insulin control was bad, and this happened while I was riding a racing bike 60+ miles a week and lifting weights.

Now, I eat as much fat as I can.  I add butter (grass fed) and coconut oil to my coffee.  I do not eat fruit, except berries, and those rarely.  I do not eat any grain, except once in a while I'll breakdown and get a personal pizza.  I may have a sandwich with bread or tortillas if I can't get anything else.  Traveling can be tough.  I avoid sugar at all costs, except for special occasions such as birthdays. Anything that's "low fat", I do not eat.  I eat dark meat chicken and all the skin and avoid white meat.  I eat a lot of vegetables.  I exercise four days a week now, three aerobics and one lifting weights.  I have boundless energy. 

Genetics is a factor in this.  I'm genetically set to be insulin resistant.  I know people who can eat fruit, ice cream, breads, pasta, etc., and they're thin.  If I eat that crap, not only do I feel terrible, but I gain weight instantly, and the weight does not come off easily. 

Intermittent fasting I think has been helpful for me, if only to realize that I can miss breakfast and really have no effects.  It also means that I know what hunger is and can easily go without for long periods of time if necessary.  I've been low carbing for a while now, though, and I think if I tried intermittent fasting when I first started low carbing, I wouldn't have had the insulin and blood sugar control to do intermittent fasting.

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying and most of it also applies to those who aren't diabetic or insulin resistant too. One minor thing, you CAN get fat from eating (too much) fat. The reason is simple : Fats are high in calories. If you drop a lot of carbs, yes you can eat more fat to make up for the caloric deficit of not eating carbs and yes it is harder (in this situation) for the body to put on fat, particularly if you're active. But at the end of the day, no one should just eat fats without consideration to calorie needs. Caloric surplus will lead to weight gain over time.

Guy 13

Hi all.
Even if some regimes for Diabetes type 2 give good results,
I find that those regimes might scare some of those that want to do something
about their high blood sugar level.
As a start, how about eat everything with moderation in small quantities but more often?
Then later on, slowly go to the ideal regime. It would be easier and less discouraging.
Cut off all those good things overnight might be too difficult for some.
Cereals, pasta, rice out, that's O.K. but fruits, not me. 1/4 or 1/2 an apple a day, for me that's O.K.
Now the exercise thing. For some, only walking, maybe at a fast pace could be enough.
Of course some real exercise is better and if it's on a daily basis, even better.
Slowly but steadily is the way to go, for me it's working.

Guy 13
Anyway, I will see if the results are positive
on my next visit to the doctor on the first week of December.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2014, 10:42 am by Guy 13 »