Audiophiles in the Sacramento area?

Whitestix

Audiophiles in the Sacramento area?
« on: 28 Jul 2017, 11:18 pm »
I a serious jazz fan living in Sacramento and would like to connect with other audiophiles in the area to listen to music.  I have swapped a lot of gear over the years and currently have the follow systems:
Main system:
SOTA vacuum TT with a Dynavector 20X2 MC cart
Oppo 103D CD player
Channel Islands Audio DAC
Don Sachs custom 6SN7-based tube preamp
Pass Labs First Watt F5 class A amp
McCormack DNA .05 Deluxe class A/B amp
Spatial Audio M4 Turbo S Hologram open baffle speakers

Bedroom system:
Music Fidelity M3i intergrated amp
Revel M22 monitor speakers

Let's connect if you are in the area and listen to some great music!  Cheers, Whitestix

A_shah

Re: Audiophiles in the Sacramento area?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2017, 05:47 am »
Mark,
I will probably  drive stop by to listen to Don Sachs pre- amp. perhaps later next week I will call you
Asghar

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2017, 07:08 am »
Hi Whitestix, if you don't mind, I have a few questions about your system and room.

Of your two amps, which do you prefer with the M4 and why?

How big is the room and how do you have things (especially the speakers and listening chair) set up in relation to the room?

And apart from Jazz, what else do you listen to?

TIA - John.

galyons

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2017, 06:00 pm »
I currently live near Walnut Creek, but regularly travel to Sacto/Rancho/Roseville.  Planning to move back to the valley in the next 6 months.  Would love to get together.  I am a DIY, jazz and DHT guy.  Like you, I am very found of the sound of 6SN7/7N7 tubes.   Willing to bring amplification and DAC's to listen and compare. I built, and sold, an Aikido octal preamp, would be very interested in hearing your 6SN7 preamps.

My current main rig is:
  • VPI TNT IV turntable;  VPI JMW12.7i arm;  FR1 MkII  Silver Coil cartridge with Soundsmith retip; Odessia SUT w/Hashimoto  transformers
  • Bottlehead Eros phono pre
  • Bottlehead Eros Tape Head & Otari MX5050 IIIB2 R2R
  • Audio Note Kit Dac2.1B NOS tube DAC
  • Bottlehead  Smash^Up  Russian 4P1L tube preamp
  • Bottlehead Paramount 300B monoblocks with 7N7  driver tubes
  • EV Sentry IV-A 3 way horn speakers

Being a DIY'er, most of the amplification is pretty heavily upgraded, similar to what Don Sachs does.  I have built or rebuilt everything in the system except the TT, which started as a TNT Jr. many years ago. The main rig is built around DHT low power amps and 102dB/1W/1M horns.  I like open baffle sound, as well.

I have several other turntables, cartridges, amps, preamps and DAC's.  (I have a Sota Sapphire, but currently boxed.) Yeah, I know!  :?

I will send you a PM with my mobile phone number.

Cheers,
Geary

ratcreek

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2019, 02:59 pm »
Hi Whitestix,
If you're still out there I'm a Sacramento audiophile and would like to meet others in the area.  I enjoy all types of music but am a serious jazz fan too.  Unfortunately my wife does not enjoy jazz so I don't get to play it as often as I'd like to.

Currently running a Von Gaylord/Legend system:
LAD-2 Sig pre-amp
Legend LM-II amps
Return of the Legend speakers
tied together with VG cables and stands
Pumping jazz through that from a:
Well Tempered Classic TT with a
Soundsmith Zypher cart and MCP-2 phono stage.

Any other Sac area audiophiles out there?

Bryan