What speakers work well for low watt amps?

bunky

Re: What speakers work well for low watt amps?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Apr 2012, 01:48 am »
i heard a couple of pairs of 211 SET monos at the Capitol Audiofest.i believe one pair were Audio Note  :drool:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #41 on: 12 Apr 2012, 01:58 am »
I have spied that same 211 - think it is a Topaz?

That's the one. A 1st class amp, still sitting due to the Audio Note invasion. Even at dealer cost enuff to buy a good used car. They also probably still have some of the Antique Sounf Labs (i think i saw an 845 or 211). They'd be easier on the pocketbook but at a price. Did you ever borrow our RH84?

dave

PS: Chris has the Dayens

acresm22

« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:04 am »
Speaking of the RH84, I'm currently listening to this amp made by Wayne Rathan of Waamamps. Sounds very nice on my Klipsch LaScalas.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72459.0

zeke

« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2012, 04:09 am »
Audio Note E's, Tekton Lores, and Altec A7's, all sounded great with a Audio Note 300b amp, Burgess 45/2A3 amp, and Rawson F3 clone amp.

imo even tho a low watt amp may drive a 92db sens speaker satisfactorily, the amp usually sounds better driving a 95+ db sens speakers.

sebrof

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm »
8 ohms is not the loudspeakers impedance ... it is the nominal impedance,and tells you VERY little.

dave
I mentioned "benign 8 ohms impedance" which I meant to be a flat 8 ohms, or at least relatively flat. My understanding is a simple crossover is a good place to start to get a flat impedance which Lores and Omens have (although the Omens are 12 ohms nominal). I think, anyway. I dunno.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:17 pm »
Hi.
i heard a couple of pairs of 211 SET monos at the Capitol Audiofest.i believe one pair were Audio Note  :drool:

Yea, Audio Note of Japan builds & sells the MOST expensive amps on this planet. I am talking about the 211 SET monoblock pair - "Ongaku".

"Ongaku" means music in Japanese. Tagged USD190,000 a pair, delivering only 2x27W. Undoubtedly the most costly music watts even made - qualified for the Guinea Book of World Record.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to audition "Ongaku" along with entire
Audio  gear. Sound excellent indeed though I doubt only the rich & famous can afford it.

c-J

Ericus Rex

« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:43 pm »

What's the ETA of those beauties, Josh?

JoshK

« Reply #47 on: 12 Apr 2012, 03:16 pm »
August at best.  Mine will have the caps in black too.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #48 on: 12 Apr 2012, 03:55 pm »
   Well the average Joes' 211 is the Consonance Cyber 211. Very similar circuit design to Audio Note. Very close. If you are willing to gut the sucker and add improved parts IMO as we did it will not be embarrased by the Ongaku. Actually closed than one might think.
   The 211 tube is our favorite for SET. The issue is the tubes. They are not cheap. GE, RCA, United oh my. Newer tubes current production are a hit and miss in sonics and reliability. We are not dealers for Consonance.

charles

JoshK

« Reply #49 on: 12 Apr 2012, 04:01 pm »
My monoblocks come with NOS GE 211s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #50 on: 12 Apr 2012, 04:20 pm »
nice set amps can be made w/6c33c tubes.  and 6c33c tubes are not expensive.  but some of these really are not low power amps.  i have a pair of audio mirror 6c33c amps that are relative bargains, imo, but at ~40-45wpc, they don't technically qualify for this circle.  that's what having a pair of 6c33c's per channel will do.   :lol:  audio mirror makes another amp, similar topology, w/6as7 tubes; for 20wpc:

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:15 pm »
DougS - I have the Audio Mirror 20 watt version. Very good bargain indeed. And look what this guy did to his:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/AudioMirror.htm

Since I don't get out much, tell me how these Audio Mirror products compare to the best. I really have no idea.

I've been in this town for almost 12 years and there still has never been one High End audio show. Can you believe it?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #52 on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:25 pm »
DougS - I have the Audio Mirror 20 watt version. Very good bargain indeed. And look what this guy did to his:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/AudioMirror.htm

Since I don't get out much, tell me how these Audio Mirror products compare to the best. I really have no idea.

I've been in this town for almost 12 years and there still has never been one High End audio show. Can you believe it?

macro, i thought you might chime in - i know you own the 6as7 wersion.   :wink:

ya, i saw that guy's work - his amps are what i cc'd here in the pic i posted.  while i do not have much experience w/esoteric gear, what i hear, and what i have heard, tells me that these amps, even stock, offer 95% of the best of what's out there...  my amps compared favorably to $10k modded asl hurricane monoblocks, driving the ribbons of vmps rm40's, from ~280hz on up.  i am sure troels' rebuilt a-m amps are exceptional...

doug s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #53 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:08 pm »
I mentioned "benign 8 ohms impedance" which I meant to be a flat 8 ohms, or at least relatively flat.

One really needs to see the curves, with both magnitude & phase.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #54 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:10 pm »
Hi.
Yea, Audio Note of Japan builds & sells the MOST expensive amps on this planet. I am talking about the 211 SET monoblock pair - "Ongaku".

What about the $350k Wavac?

dave

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #55 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:24 pm »
Well, I'm going to nip this little pissing contest in the bud. My Audio Mirrors are $450K. And that includes a bushel of tubes.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #56 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:45 pm »
Hi.
What about the $350k Wavac?

dave

Which Wavac? Its flagship model:- SE-833 V1.3 (150W) retailed for USD69,000 only. Per watt price still can't touch that Audio Note.

c-J

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi

cheap-Jack

« Reply #58 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:05 pm »
Hi.
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/704wavac/index.html

dave

Click to Positive Feedback On-Line issue 21. Full review of the said model with retail price for USD69,000.00.

c-J

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #59 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:20 pm »
I don't really care ... the sales tax on even the cheap one is more than i have into my hifi...

dave