ModWright LS 100 with SS amp and Klipschorns which tubes?

Khorn

Just waiting delivery of a new ModWright LS 100. It’ll be the first tubes in my system for about 30 years. I’m looking for warm SLIGHTLY ringy and microphonic effects NOT defects. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Khorn

Re: ModWright LS 100 with SS amp and Klipschorns which tubes?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2021, 11:03 pm »
Been running my new LS100 in my new system for a few months now and find the preamp fantastic in design, ergonomics and specially the Sound Quality. It’s a super synergistic fit with the rest of my system and a genuine bargain price wise. I’m really blown away by this unit and looking forward to great musical times ahead. Perfect choice for me.

cheech

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 02:33 am »
Glad you are enjoying it. What tubes are you using? I run mine with a  NOS Phillips 5AR4 rectifier and Sophia Electric 6SN7s. I plan next to use NOS Sylvania 6SN7s.

Khorn

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2021, 03:05 am »
Glad you are enjoying it. What tubes are you using? I run mine with a  NOS Phillips 5AR4 rectifier and Sophia Electric 6SN7s. I plan next to use NOS Sylvania 6SN7s.

I ran it for the first month or so with the stock supplied tubes:

electro-harmonics “gold pins” 6SN7 EH (Tested & Matched).
Sovtek 5AR4

It sounded fantastic and I had planned to upgrade to the recommended Sophia Electric tubes in the future.

Then unexpectedly I received some new Western Electric pre production USA manufactured
6SN7 tubes to test. I knew these were coming for a while but didn’t expect them so soon.
I have to emphasize these will not be available on the market for about nine (9) months.

I’ve done a small update review on another site and don’t know if it’s proper to mention here according to posting rules.

I will state though that these are absolutely amazing in so many respects.