Thelonius Monk

pardales

Re: Thelonius Monk
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:34 am »
Straight No Chaser is one of my favorites too. I would add "Live at the IT Club"

Have fun.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:45 am »
Giant Steps is a religious experience, assuming you have consumed enough scotch.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:57 am »
Oh I've got that one, no it's amazing alll on it's own. It was one of the first jazz albums I bought a year ago, and as a person who had never listened to jazz seriously, it blew my mind.

sts9fan

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm »
I also like "Live at the IT club"

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:52 pm »
WOW!

These guys all definitely have their own styles, that's for sure, and Monk has the coolest abstract style, his sounds like he barely tries to be complex, he just is.

Mitsuman, thanks for the Monk suggestion, it was the best sounding of the three, quite a soundstage, and very finely recorded.

I just gave these three a cursory spin last night but mean to get more into them. I don't really have any pianists in my collection so it was interesting. More than that, his style is amusing, light, and so abstract and unique it forces you to listen. what did he just do there?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2012, 06:55 pm »
My favorites are from his Riverside days (after Blue Note and before Columbia).

And of course, the coolest album cover of all time for a great album:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2012, 07:37 pm »
WOW!

These guys all definitely have their own styles, that's for sure, and Monk has the coolest abstract style, his sounds like he barely tries to be complex, he just is.

Mitsuman, thanks for the Monk suggestion, it was the best sounding of the three, quite a soundstage, and very finely recorded.

I just gave these three a cursory spin last night but mean to get more into them. I don't really have any pianists in my collection so it was interesting. More than that, his style is amusing, light, and so abstract and unique it forces you to listen. what did he just do there?

I'm glad you like it. There is so much of Monk's music to enjoy, I tried to give you my personal experience and your conclusion is the same as mine. The same album on vinyl is a true delight. Since I have the CD as well I felt confident recommending it.  :beer:

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2012, 01:12 am »
 Yeah it was a good choice  :thumb:

The cool thing I'm noticing so far is that these composers are all very very different and all worthy in their own right. But I had a hunch that Thelonius Monk was going to be out there and really grab my attention, rather than be something to listen to casually, like say Miles Davis, not to say Miles isn't something you'd listen to critically, if you take my meaning.

I like what I'm hearing so far, I'm going to spin all three albums tonight, and definitely take note of all the suggestions posted so far.

Is there anyone I should look into afterwards, now that I'm a Thelonius fan?