Tube amps & wine go well together!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Tube amps & wine go well together!
« on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:09 am »
There's nothing like sitting in your favorite chair with a good wine while listening to some of your favorite music.  :wine:

What flavor of tube amp goes with that wine? Oh...El84's with Lambrusco. 

Maybe a push-pull KT88 with a little Burgundy.

Some sparkling 6L6's with Campaign! Single ended, push-pull, whatever!

Tube amps do set the mood for some good times! That goes for tube preamps as well.  8)

dangerbird

Re: Tube amps & wine go well together!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:15 am »
sounds like someones' chillin' to some good tunes  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:37 am »
I'm drinking a blend called "Big House Red", a good every day wine, and listening to some Waltzes of Chopin on my GR Research V2 speakers, driven by custom KT88 tube amps, a custom 12bh7 tubed preamp, and a Scott Nixon USB Tube DAC. 

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2011, 12:02 pm »
There's nothing like sitting in your favorite chair with a good wine while listening to some of your favorite music.  :wine:

What flavor of tube amp goes with that wine? Oh...El84's with Lambrusco. 

Maybe a push-pull KT88 with a little Burgundy.

Some sparkling 6L6's with Campaign! Single ended, push-pull, whatever!

Tube amps do set the mood for some good times! That goes for tube preamps as well.  8)

Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
There’s nothing like sitting in my super comfortable leather lazy boy chair listening to my Niteshade Audio SE-15 glowing tubes amplifier driving my GR Research V1 Open Baffle speakers playing my favorite The Ventures LP.
No wine, no soft drink, no alcohol, no beer…
I know, my life must be boring; well I have other things to compensate, like my tube sound system.

My recipe for good music is two big 6L6, one small 6SN7 and a huge 5U4 put that into an almost empty under the hood Niteshade chassis and you have some sweet flavored music.

The main reason why I took the tube road, it’s mainly because it reminds me of the good old days when tube amplifiers were the only type of amplifiers available.

First mono tubes amplifier I design and built myself when I was 18 years old, that’s 45 years ago.
5Y3, 6SN7 & 6F6 salvaged from old TVs relatives and friends gave me.

I soon will be 63 years old.
I also like the non aggressiveness of tubes and the mood tubes create with their glowing filaments when all the lights are turn off.

The following amplifiers really don’t create a mood for relaxation, they what I call : COLD !
No red wine, only red glowing filaments.

Guy 13
You could also call me the tube guy.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2011, 12:57 pm »
I like your photos Guy! The time elapsed photos showing tube glow are especially unique and well done.  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:16 pm »
I like your photos Guy! The time elapsed photos showing tube glow are especially unique and well done.  :thumb:
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
So you like my photos ! Well, thanks.
I must say that I like them too, however, what I like more then my photos, is the real stuff...
Out of about 20 shots, only two came out good, time eleasped or long exposure is a more trial and error thing.
I like long exposures, I did many long exposures of fire works when I was still living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
After taking the pictures of the tubes in complete darkness, I have noticed that the 6L6 have some blue or violet color in them, is that normal?
When I took the pictures the volume control was in the minimum postion in other words, the amplifier was idling.
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:31 pm »
The blue glow is completely normal. Some tubes show it more than others. It's all those happy electrons moving around. They're really busy, have lots of things to do...

I've experimented with long exposures and completely understand the trial & error part of it. Well- you chose the right ones!