Totally enclosed tube amps & preamps: A good idea?

Guy 13

Re: Totally enclosed tube amps & preamps: A good idea?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:53 pm »
I have used these! They are very nice- but I found better alternatives.
Hi Blair.
Can you tell us what is the alternative that to the OD3 that you have found or is it a secret and we have to twist your arm to found out that well guarded secret ? (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:23 pm »
Naw- there's no secret as to why I choose not to use them very often. I'm very good with power supply design and choose to use resistor coupling between filtering sections most of the time as well as voltage dividers when necessary. There are very few instances where a regulator gas tube is necessary- where it can actually be used to improve a circuit.

If you really need something regulated in a low current circuit, then use Zener diodes (if high precision is not necessary).

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:20 am »
I have been considering having a custom enclosure made for my amps & preamps so that nothing is exposed. I will make it so that the tubes can be seen.

The idea sounds good and I can use some positively beautiful wood to do this- but don't know how well it would go over. I'm still contemplating the design. The ways I can go with this are infinite!

Any good ideas? Post 'em here!
Hi all.
A few pictures of some nice looking enclosures from Leben, Japan.
Yes, I know, you don't see the beautiful glow of the tubes, however, the reason why I post those picture it's because I like the front plate.
Guy 13

I little too crowded, of course, some knobs could be illiminated.
But this one is my favorite.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:21 am »
Very easy and inexpensive to do a silk scrreen faceplate.  I'm sure if that's what you want, Blair can have it done. 

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:30 am »
Very easy and inexpensive to do a silk scrreen faceplate.  I'm sure if that's what you want, Blair can have it done.
Hi JTW.
Yes, I know it can be done easily with silk screen printing, however, to cut down the initial cost, it can't be done on custom job. (One of a kind), it would have to be done for a production model something I don't think Blair want's to get into. In addition, before I buy, I would like to see how it would look like, a preview could be done on Photoshop.
I alreay have on paper my own design, however, it would cost much more and take forever to get it. Blair is caught between custom amplifier building and computer repair...
Guy 13 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:33 am »
Hi JTW.
Yes, I know it can be done easily with silk screen printing, however, to cut down the initial cost, it can't be done on custom job. (One of a kind), it would have to be done for a production model something I don't think Blair want's to get into. In addition, before I buy, I would like to see how it would look like, a preview could be done on Photoshop.
I alreay have on paper my own design, however, it would cost much more and take forever to get it. Blair is caught between custom amplifier building and computer repair...
Guy 13

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ and then you can do laser engraving.  Black anodize will show up white once the laser hits it.  It's really no big deal...

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:45 am »
http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ and then you can do laser engraving.  Black anodize will show up white once the laser hits it.  It's really no big deal...
Hi JTW.
Blair already sent me the link to that web site, he will probably do it that way, if I give him an order for an amplifier, but as previously mentionned, I want to see the end result (Even if only on my computer monitor screen) before I reach into my pocket for hard earned dollars.
Guy 13

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2010, 03:51 am »
Hi JTW.
Blair already sent me the link to that web site, he will probably do it that way, if I give him an order for an amplifier, but as previously mentionned, I want to see the end result (Even if only on my computer monitor screen) before I reach into my pocket for hard earned dollars.
Guy 13

Of course!  If you go to that site, you can use the free design software and design and see exactly what you will get.