Totally enclosed tube amps & preamps: A good idea?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I have been considering having a custom enclosure made for my amps & preamps so that nothing is exposed. I will make it so that the tubes can be seen.

The idea sounds good and I can use some positively beautiful wood to do this- but don't know how well it would go over. I'm still contemplating the design. The ways I can go with this are infinite!

Any good ideas? Post 'em here!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Totally enclosed tube amps & preamps: A good idea?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm »
How much will the price increase?  Do you have any new circuits that you're working on?  If so, what?  To me, that's much more important. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm »
Appearance is important. In fact, you'll see something new very soon- not this, but something different.  :D

As far as circuits go, yes! R&D is slow due to order processing- but it doesn't keep me from planning.

1. New phase splitter circuits (transformer based as well as a new adjustable model)
2. Additional preamp circuits
3. All the stuff that was mentioned several months ago (AKA: Circlotron)
4. A speaker line (been studying them for YEARS- have to put it to practice!)
5. Hybrid amps & preamps + discreet component SS amps & preamps (not class D)

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:15 pm »
I have been considering having a custom enclosure made for my amps & preamps so that nothing is exposed.

I believe Audio Research has enclosed their tube amps and preamps for years.  The tops of their enclosures are well vented due to the heat generated.  Personally, it does not matter to me if the tubes are exposed in a preamp but I believe there is an appeal to having the tubes visible on amps. 

Good luck with your new designs!

Ken

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2010, 01:54 pm »
Hi Brian.
It would be great if we could see a hand sketch of what you have in mind for the enclosure.
If you buy a tube amplifier, it's to see the tubes glow !
An amplifier with an enclosure ? Yes, but it must be well ventilated and tubes must be visible and it must be as nice as your chassis.
You tell us all the time that more stuff will come, but so far, we have not seen much ?
We are still waiting to see your new front plate, why don't you build a unit and post some pictures, maybe if all the AC members see what you can do, they will buy it.
Maybe everything you are talking about will be spread and we will see it over a period of 10 years. (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
4. A speaker line (been studying them for YEARS- have to put it to practice!)

What type of speaker?

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2010, 02:25 pm »
Maybe some plexiglass windows   :green:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:12 pm »
  A solid enclosure has its benifits such as EMI and RFI protection. resonance damping as well, if done properly.
  When working with Promitheus on developing an enclosure i contacted Mapleshade to discuss wood choices. ron bauman did extensive research measuring different types of wood for resonance control. The winner was 3/8" thick Ebony. costly but affective. Under trannies especially was Ebony king. maple is their favorite cost wise.
  However I have found spruce to be superior for the enclosure with ebony as the base or board and trannie supports. Taking it a bit further compressed wool for controlling any unwanted vibration[ under circuit boards].
  Designing a component with resonance control is a tricky ordeal. it is the resonance frquency that is key. What is that frequency ? Can't tell ya its Mapleshades secret. Halcro knows a bit about it as well. 
  Me i would want 10ga or thicker steel enclosure with wood bottm and side trim. Affective and cost friendly. Oh and of course a sepate power supply with umbilicle cord.

charles

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:27 pm »
This is purely my opinion but the world absolutely DOES NOT need another speaker manufacturer.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm »
Yes, we do need another speaker manufacturer. In fact, we need more manufacturing of EVERYTHING in the USA!

My specific reason for developing speakers has to do with wanting to sell complete sound systems. This way I will provide people with 100% assurance that everything is a perfect match. It feels strange to know that the performance of something I make is due in large part to what it's being connected to. This gives me an opportunity to have more control over quality.

I have gone to great lengths to make my equipment compatible with a wide array of unknowns and the results are mostly positive. Having a speaker line will erase a huge variable for myself and customers who need speakers. Naturally, they will be made to work with other amps as well. They will be tested on several hundred pounds of solid state and tube gear.

The bottom line for this venture is added quality control.

bunky

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:37 am »
 I own both enclosed tube amps and open tube amps and i think logic would make one believe that having a open amp would improve reliability for tubes and electronic components by virtue of the ability to shed the heat generated by the tubes much more quickly

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:50 am »
Personally, I love the look of tubes exposed.  First off, they are right out there in the room sort of participating in my listening session. Sort of like "comfort food".  8) (I know...they probably make a pill for this way of thinking... :green:)  Secondly, for me at least, I can't see how building an enclosure would not add to the cost of the piece.

Thirdly who the hell is Brian?? :scratch:

Posted by Guy13
Hi Brian.

Randy

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:08 am »
Personally, I love the look of tubes exposed.  First off, they are right out there in the room sort of participating in my listening session. Sort of like "comfort food".  8) (I know...they probably make a pill for this way of thinking... :green:)  Secondly, for me at least, I can't see how building an enclosure would not add to the cost of the piece.

Thirdly who the hell is Brian?? :scratch:

Posted by Guy13
Randy
Hi Randy.
Yes, who the hell is Brian ? ? ?
Sorry about that, I wanted to write Blair, but for an unknown, obscure and unexplicable raison I wrote Brian.
My only excuse is that I have now too many things going on at the same time.
Sorry about that <<< Blair >>>.
Plus : Exposed tubes give a mood to music listening !
Minus : Curious fingers could get burned !
The Chinese came up with many different approaches to that HOT problem, some kind a guard around the HOT tube.
Thanks for forgiving me about my mistake on Blair's name.
I hope it won't happen too often.
Guy 13 

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:17 am »
I only meant it is good fun Guy 13 :D  Heck, this morning I spent 10 minutes looking for my car keys until my wife said "Uh honey, they're in your mouth..."

I agree that enclosures have their place ESPECIALLY with little curious fingers running about.  When my first grandkids come along, I either need a lock on the door to my listening room or or well...probably a lock on my listening room. :thumb:

Randy

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:29 am »
I do get called Brian from time to time. But...I have been called worse, so don't worry about it.

Another common mistake is people calling me Larry.  :scratch:

I wouldn't design an enclosure which would store heat- but get rid of it. In fact, I could make one that can extend the amp's life. Air cooling systems have been a specialty of mine since I started to make custom cooling systems for computers as well as working with forced-air cooled tubes rated for 350w and up.

Keeping the tubes visible is important! I 100% agree. If this is done, it will be listed as an option and will look great, with absolutely no heat or tube replacement issues.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:56 am »
My specific reason for developing speakers has to do with wanting to sell complete sound systems.

Keep in mind though that most of us audiofools don't even own amps and preamps from the same company (I'm an exception).  I don't know anyone personally who has a complete High-End setup from the same manufacturer.  I just have my doubts as to whether competing with 600+ other speaker manufacturers should be attempted.

Are you developing source components as well?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:21 pm »
I did enjoy being able to see the tubes while I had the Beacon Two in house, it added a certain 'ambience' to the listening process.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:40 pm »
The enclosure would offer a 100% finished look. I want it to add elegance and make the amp unique. Birdseye maple, butternut and walnut would make beautiful enclosures. Combinations of wood can be used as well.

In this industry it seems that your largest selection of finishes involves chrome, anodized aluminum, maybe a little brass. It's the same old song & dance. A furniture quality amp sounds good to me!

I most likely will not get into source components unless it's a DAC or something that is modified and upgraded. It is worth while to take something "off the shelf" that is made well and improve upon it.

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm »
I did enjoy being able to see the tubes while I had the Beacon Two in house, it added a certain 'ambience' to the listening process.
Hi Carroll and all AC members.
I agree with you about the ambiance of tube glow.
Talking about nice glow, what about the OB3 tube, I think it's called a regulatior tube.
I only saw the nice glow on picture, anyone have that tube in his audio stuff ?

Have a nice glow !
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:29 pm »
I have used these! They are very nice- but I found better alternatives.