The importance of variable feedback

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
The importance of variable feedback
« on: 7 Oct 2010, 12:23 pm »
A major contributor to an amplifier's performance is the negative feedback circuit. I have made it possible to control exactly how much feedback is necessary to perfectly tune your speakers and room in.

My feedback circuit can be adjusted from zero to infinitely too much. Our amplification circuits are so stable that even at maximum, there is no motor boating or any other anomalies. A long time ago I became fed up with amps that do not have a way achieve synergy with the rest of the system. The whole hit or miss scenario (buying & selling amps) can get tiresome. Variable feedback offers a way out of the viscous buy-sell loop. All of our tube amps come with with this feature.

Guy 13

Re: The importance of variable feedback
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2010, 12:49 pm »
A major contributor to an amplifier's performance is the negative feedback circuit. I have made it possible to control exactly how much feedback is necessary to perfectly tune your speakers and room in.

My feedback circuit can be adjusted from zero to infinitely too much. Our amplification circuits are so stable that even at maximum, there is no motor boating or any other anomalies. A long time ago I became fed up with amps that do not have a way achieve synergy with the rest of the system. The whole hit or miss scenario (buying & selling amps) can get tiresome. Variable feedback offers a way out of the viscous buy-sell loop. All of our tube amps come with with this feature.
Hi Blair.
Most of the tube amplifier manufacturers don't have or don't offer the negative feed back (NFB), why is that ?
After looking inside my Niteshade NS-15 amplifier I saw a potentiometer and a piece of wire going to the tube socket, (Maybe there is more) but that look like something easy and not expensive to implement in the circuit.
Can you comment ?
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2010, 01:26 pm »
It is more expensive to install because fixed resistors cost much less than stereo variables and then you have labor costs for drilling another hole, extra soldering, etc..

Instead of taking a chance on one of my amps not fitting in because of something that is easily remedied, it is worth it to implement this circuit.

With this circuit, not only are customers guaranteed a good fit, but they get the higher performance benefits an exact fit amp has to offer. This is great! You, the owner can modify a critical part of the circuit to your liking without touching a soldering iron!

targa02

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:58 pm »
You have mentioned several positives regarding having a variable feedback option on an amp, is there any downside for having this option?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:30 am »
I have not found a downside to having a variable feedback control on a tube amp. There are absolutely no adverse effects electrically or sonically.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2010, 06:04 pm »
In the late 90 years I was told by a tube amp builder planar speakers get best sound with none or low feedback and dinamic/cone speakers like a bit of feedback.
Then variable feedback is a very useful option im a tube amp for both the musiclover and the audiophile.
Regards, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.