Most realistic speaker type?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Most realistic speaker type?
« on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:36 am »
Open Baffle / Dipole
Bass Reflex
Acoustic suspension
Electrostatic

Take your pick

Mariusz

Re: Most realistic speaker type?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:43 am »
Without addressing the acoustic space - non of the above.

But the most realistic experience I witnessed took place here:

mca

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:14 am »
Mariusz,

Looks like Tact and MBL? Can you fill us in on the details?

drew54

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:24 am »
Thats Ralph Glasgal's Ambiophonic system.

For me, most realistic of all was all MBL with 101Es at the last HE show in NY.  I went from watching Attention Screen live in a ballroom to listening to the MBLs in another large room, and thought the drums sounded better on the MBLs.

I also heard the Nola Grand Reference at the show the previous year (2002?).  Sounded like real music to me.

3rd place could go to the large Scaneias.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:39 am »
I like open baffle for dynamic drivers, and monopole for ribbon/planar speakers.

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:47 am »
Mariusz,

Looks like Tact and MBL? Can you fill us in on the details?

Here is the link

The reproduction was scary real. MBL are used as "effect speakers". Rest is 90% SoundLabs all around - top, sides, front, 1st floor and 2nd floor. It is all about the ambiance. Sweet spot was/is extremely narrow for such a HUGE setup. Room was design with this technology/sound in mind.
The whole system cost - millions!!!!  Funny thing was that all those Labs and MBLs were hooked up with cheap Rat speaker wire and speakers on 1st and 2nd floor used 2.4GHz transmitters to receive audio signal........quite an experience.....different for sure.
Yes, Tact is used throughout - I think they are using Ralph's ideas/patent in at least one of their products. Ralph is very accommodating guy and I am sure that he would be happy to present you with some cool demo.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2010, 04:31 am by Mariusz »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:44 am »
Ralph is very accommodating guy and I am sure that he would be happy to present you with some cool demo.  :thumb:

Further reading.....Link...

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:01 am »
Bass reflex.

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:20 pm »
     :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:00 pm »
That is it - search is over  :lol: :duh:

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:19 pm »
It depends.  There's my answer.

If cost is no object, if the room is treated, how much amplification is available, what source material, etc.

In my room, I've found that the Gedlee Abbeys are the most realistic.  They require less room treatment, are exceptionally dynamic (this takes realism up a notch for me), and are extremely easy to drive which helps on a budget.

I like sealed with multiple subs, open baffle is awesome, but some of the drawbacks outweigh the benefits IMHO.  I'd love to hear open baffle with less compression than I've experienced so far.

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:32 pm »
I'd love to hear open baffle with less compression than I've experienced so far.
You should try to listen to Danny's V series.  I have the V1 and it simply keeps getting louder the more power I put to it.  I have yet to experience any compression with this speaker.

Best,
Ed

cujobob

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:42 pm »
I intend to, actually, I own/have owned many of Danny's offerings.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2010, 08:04 pm »
I have been looking at the V1 & V2 with great interest lately. Would like to know more about them. What is the frequency response of those two models?  I like fact they they can handle a considerable amount of power or that something like the NS-15 SE 6L6 can drive them. Very impressive!

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm »
I have been looking at the V1 & V2 with great interest lately. Would like to know more about them. What is the frequency response of those two models?  I like fact they they can handle a considerable amount of power or that something like the NS-15 SE 6L6 can drive them. Very impressive!
Hi Blair and Audio Circle members.
I own or I have owned the following speakers :
Open Baffle / Dipole
Bass Reflex
Acoustic suspension
Infinite baffle
Horn
Electrostatic (Stax hearphones)
Which one I prefer you will ask ?
All of them, because I appreciate tonality and caracteristics of each one they all sound different.
Each one have their strenght and weakness, each one is better at a certain type of music and playing level. The best or better one is the one that you like. For me now, it's GR Research open baffle (V-1 & V-2) beause of the neutrality and natureness of the sound. Of course, you need room, lots of room to make then perform well, but for me right now it's not a problem.
Today, there are so many makes and models, that the best thing is to audition them before you buy. Audition them with your music (CD/LP) and if possible, your amplifier, of course if you could audition them in your home, it woiuld be even better.
One other important factor is the sensivity of the speakers. I would not buy anything lower than 90db regardless of the amplifier.
Full range crossoverless, 2 ways ot three ways ?
My first choice would be fullrange, then second choice would be a two way.
I like simplicity, I think the simpler the better, when it's lept simple the sound is not modified and that valid for speakers as well as amplifier.
Have you ever look under the hood of a Niteshade Audio amplifier. There are so little parts, that you wonder if Blair did not forget some parts on his work bench. (Ha,ha...)
Few parts, quality parts, a winning combination.
How can you be sure I tell the truth, well I own a Niteshade Audio NS-15, I should know. If you don't own an amplifier from Blair, bvuy one from him or wiat, maybe one day he will have an audio tour or a 30 days trial option when you buy.
Please comment, I would like to compare my thinking with you thinking.
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:48 am »
I enjoy several kinds of speakers myself. I believe getting all the enjoyable qualities into one package would be extremely expensive.

My curiosity about speaker design has been getting the best of me.  :idea:

You may see a Niteshade speaker coming along sometime.

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:57 am »
I enjoy several kinds of speakers myself. I believe getting all the enjoyable qualities into one package would be extremely expensive.

My curiosity about speaker design has been getting the best of me.  :idea:

You may see a Niteshade speaker coming along sometime.
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.
If you get into speakers offering, I hope you will go the Open Baffle high efficiency way, for me it's the only way to go.
Pre-amplifiers, (Integrated) amplifiers, interconnects, (Speaker cables) and speakers. We will have a convenient one stop for comlete system purchase.
Keep up the good work.
Guy 13.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:28 pm »
I like ALL speakers...that sound good.   :lol:

Don't you think if you start making speakers that you'll be spreading yourself really thin?  From the outside it seems that you can't keep up with the confuzer and Niteshade products already...adding a speaker?  Forgeta about it!

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:33 pm »
I like ALL speakers...that sound good.   :lol:

Don't you think if you start making speakers that you'll be spreading yourself really thin?  From the outside it seems that you can't keep up with the confuzer and Niteshade products already...adding a speaker?  Forgeta about it!
Hi.
Maybe Blair don't want to tell us, but he as already hired some people to help him. He does not have to tell us how he's running his business.
Blair, I think you are going in the right direction by offering to the audiophile a wide range of products design and fabricated by or for you.
Guy 13.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm »
All wood work is outsourced and new construction techniques have begun on many models starting this month. I am trying to reduce my lead time by 50% on average.  :D