Amplifier question

SnapperHawk

Amplifier question
« on: 25 Apr 2012, 06:41 pm »
About a year or so ago, you built me an NS-SEP30. I was wondering if there were any improvements that could be incorporated into this model. I would very much like to keep this amp as up to date as possible.

Also, given the nature of this amp, and because I am always looking for variety and a change in sound, I was wondering if you had any other suggestions for an amp that you make that would complement this one. I don't necessarily want to duplicate the sound and overall presentation characteristics but would appreciate your thoughts on a complementary unit.

For example, I have been looking at the deHavilland 50A (45W full triode).

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, etc., on what you might provide would be welcome.

Jeff Hawk

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Amplifier question
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm »
I can't recall whether your amp has DC filaments. If it does not- that's the best upgrade out for it and there may be some circuit upgrades as well that came out within the past year.

Two complimentary amplifiers would be the NS-40 and our new SS-500+ w/ tube front end. I have not officially announced the SS-500+ yet- but will shortly. This new SS amp will provide 250 watts into 8 ohms per channel and have a 600 watt power supply. The amplifier will be Class D and the front end will be 6SN7 driven. 

There will be a remote option available for all preamps & integrated amps as well. I have been putting in tons of time with a preamp (our first!) that has one built in and she is a beauty.

You will find allot of reading material about the NS-40 on here. Since the SS-500+ is new, there isn't anything on it yet. I can tell you this: There will be NO performance compromises regarding having the preamp built into the amplifier chassis. The design is derived from our active integrated tube amp designs.