Problem with New Cables between CD-> GK-1

vsr123

« on: 19 Feb 2005, 06:48 am »
I am at a loss to understand what is going on here.

Here is what I have that works perfectly ->
Cd->GK-1->AKSA (using off the shelf inter-connects between all components)...sounds good no problem here.

I decided to make a new set of interconnects using the DH Labs Balanced-Ag cable from Parts Connex. It has 2 x 23 AWG silver wires, a drain wire and a foil shield. I decided to make the directional inter-connects with the grounded end going to the source (the CD). Ok, so I make the cables, check connectivity, and use it for a few minutes between the CD->an old Rcvr (works nicely)..great!

I then move these new cables between the CD->GK-1. I power up everything, keep the GK-1 volume low, I then notice a loud hum which keeps increasing and which within 5 to 10 seconds gets louder to the point where I have to shut down the AKSA or I might damage my speakers.
I checked the DC V across the AKSA. DC offset is around 30mv but AC voltage keeps going up from a few 100 mv to over 10V! at which point the hum is way too loud.
Thinking that I shorted (bad solder) the newly made ICs somewhere, I re-check connectivity but everything is good here. I connect it between the CD to the RCVR, receiver plays just fine (no hum anywhere).

Go back to my old cables between the CD->Gk-1, and everything works great.

My question here is why are these cables causing a hum like this? This is a standard recipe that I am following, drain grounded on one side and open on the other. Grounded side is towards source.

So to Summarize
CD->old_Inter_conn->GK-1->old_inter_conn->AKSA (perfect)

CD->new_IC->GK-1->old_inter_conn->AKSA(very loud hum high AC voltage at speaker out of AKSA)

CD->OPEN->GK-1->old_inter_conn->AKSA(no hum)

CD->new_IC->Receiver (perfect)

also,
CD->new_IC->GK-1->old_inter_conn->RCVR (have slight hum).
The receiver and the CD player dont have a 3 prong AC cord. So I took a wire and ensured that the earth between the GK-1 and the RCVR (ground lug) is connected.....ok hum is GONE!

I check my GK-1 for star ground, everything seems ok except that there is no connection between earth and RCA input/output ground, whereas the AKSA has a proper star ground with the earth connected to the ground of the speaker/RCA input ground.

so two questions, why is this cable causing the hum to increase in this fashion and
should the GK-1 have the earth and input/output RCA ground connected together?

AKSA and GK-1 are 3 prong whereas CD and RCVR have hot and neutral AC wire only.

sorry for the longwinded post  :(

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2005, 08:33 am »
HI Sridhar,

The GK1 has floating earth, relies on the earth from the power amp.

If there is no three prong plug on the GK1, hum CAN (not always) erupt.

A simple earthing wire from GK1 to source fixes this.  The precise mechanism of earthing arrangements would fill a book.

Cheers,

Hugh