Odyssey with Focal?

Gt2r

Odyssey with Focal?
« on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:48 am »
Long time lurker with a freshly renewed interest in his systems.  A friend that was over was listening to music with me and asked if I would direct him on updating his system.  Always glad to spend someone else's money...
He is looking to add an amp to his new Focal 726 speakers. Like me, he uses Sonos to send AIFF files.  He lets his Onkyo handle the DAC work and HT duties.  Focal 706 and an unknown to me 10" sub finishes out his currently system. I realize there are a lot of points to address in his setup but specifically, how do Odyssey amps (likely the Khartago or possibly a Stratos) "get along" with the Focals?

Thanks in advance

GentleBender

Re: Odyssey with Focal?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2015, 12:59 pm »
I'm no expert at this point, but I am sure you can't go wrong with either the Khartago or Stratos. What is he going to use it for and how loud does he like it? How big is the room? I just started to build my first system and started with the Cyclops and Suspiro phono stage and can't believe the improvement in sound. The Cyclops is just a Khartago as an integrated amp. If he wants to use it as a HT setup he could use the Stratos HT-3 so he could add his center channel to balance out the front, it is only a $300 difference that adds an additional 150 watt center channel.

I just took delivery of the Cyclops and Suspiro Friday night (2/20/15) and have it connected to a $200 turntable and Polk Monitor 60 speakers that I picked up used for $125. I've had the turntable and speakers for over two years and they have never sounded great until now. Even my wife that normally doesn't get into this much was excited when she heard the difference.

There are so many options out there it can be overwhelming to find the true gems, but thanks to a buddy of mine, I found my solution. I think of Odyssey Audio like a chef that makes an insanely delicious pizza with only the finest ingredients and all the mass production units are merely overpriced frozen pizzas but where a lot of the budget goes to marketing and beautiful boxes.

Gt2r

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:44 pm »
His room is approximately 19'x16'.  Although there is no center channel yet, I'm sure he will add one at some point.  He listens predominately to the Blues.  Sometimes it's a recording that sounds like it was scratched out in a basement somewhere in 1940 and I've turned him on to some newer artists.  Sonos allows him to put his whole CD library in one place and control it from his listening chair.  Adding a good DAC later will help.

Gt2r

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:54 pm »
His room is approximately 19'x16'.  Although there is no center channel yet, I'm sure he will add one at some point.  He listens predominately to the Blues.  Sometimes it's a recording that sounds like it was scratched out in a basement somewhere in 1940 and I've turned him on to some newer artists.  Sonos allows him to put his whole CD library in one place and control it from his listening chair.  Adding a good DAC later will help.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:40 pm »
I was hoping some others would post their recommendations, but unless your friend wants to turn it up to ungodly volumes, Odyssey Audio will blow your mind. Mind you I am using it in a two channel setup. I can tell you that the Khartago sounds great with anything I've thrown at it. It's far from broken in, but sounds great. I had to take today off just to listen to everything in my collection again. Just sounds so good now.

Call Klaus and tell him your setup and goal, he will get you hooked up.

Cheers,
Jason

Gt2r

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2015, 03:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. The Focals are fairly efficient so I don't think volume will be an issue.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2015, 06:22 pm »
retro looks and if he can take the 88lb. weight this amp is a sleeper @ $2500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XPR2F1Vls

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2015, 08:30 pm »
I have no experience with the Usher R-1.5 so I can't compare, but for $1650 you could have a three channel Stratos HT-3. I could not find many reviews for the Usher, but what do I know. Maybe more research would reveal that the Usher is awesome.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:35 pm »
I have 2 sets of Focals here, the 706v and 908 Profiles. Both are very efficient and for their size, present a nice sound stage. I have not really "pounded them" yet. I have not heard the larger floor standers except for the humungous Utopia Be speakers at RMAF, but they were hooked up to ungodly electronics and I got the feeling the guy was unsure of what he was doing at the time.

Nonetheless, I think they are of fine quality, made in France and should mate with your Odyessy amp(s) of choice just fine.

The ARIA 936 speakers are getting lots of good press, but they are getting up there in price.

Wayner

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

Gt2r

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2015, 04:43 am »
I am not familiar with Usher.  Interesting possibility and some on the used market right now.

jkm

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2015, 04:07 am »
FWIW, I have 2 Stratos Monos driving Focal jmLab 820s. Sounded great for 10 years. But, I'm in the process of upgrading everything, so my monos and 820s are up for sale. Still, I always thought the two brands were a great match.