Free measuring and testing services

Danny Richie

Free measuring and testing services
« on: 28 Mar 2018, 07:38 pm »
I have mentioned this service before here on AC within a few threads and earlier this week I posted something about it on our Facebook page. So I thought I'd make a new post for it here as well for those that are not aware of this service.

For all of you guys out there trying your hand at building or designing your own speakers, we offer a free measuring and testing service. You just cover the shipping cost both ways and we'll run a complete set of measurements, plus provide evaluation, and recommendations (for FREE). The measurements include on axis responses, vertical off axis responses, horizontal off axis responses, individual driver responses, a spectral decay, and the impedance response.

But if it's a big heavy speaker then you might have to show up with it and help set up and take down or cover a handling fee.

maty

Re: Free measuring and testing services
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:00 pm »
Maybe you should announce it also in Diyaudio.

If I did not live in Spain, I would ask you to buy the KEF Q750 and rebuild the filter, with at least 12 dB drops for the woofers. With better components off course, without the 10uF electrolytic.

[IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/KEF-Q750-crossover.jpg

Borrowed picture of:

[Polish review] http://www.avtest.pl/zestawy-glosnikowe/item/767-kef-q750

to English with Google: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avtest.pl%2Fzestawy-glosnikowe%2Fitem%2F767-kef-q750&edit-text=&act=url

[IMG] http://www.avtest.pl/images/testy/kolumny/kef-q750/KEF-Q750-8-impedancja.jpg

[IMG] http://www.avtest.pl/images/testy/kolumny/kef-q750/KEF-Q750-9-zzz.jpg

Why? The answer:

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/reference-components/1146-recommended-reference-component-kef-q750-loudspeakers

With better cables. Neotech SOCT-16 to the audiophiles or star quad geometry like Canare 4S11 to the others.

And viscoelastic material or others to the inside walls.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:15 pm »
I have to admit, that's some pretty cheesy crossover parts for a speaker of that price point. Actually those parts are pretty cheesy for any speaker.

maty

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:23 pm »
KEF Q900 crossover

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:31 pm »
Lots of up side potential there.

maty

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:43 pm »
KEF LS50 crossover

KEF Q100 crossover

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2018, 09:09 pm »
Looks like a trend. Maybe I should go into the Kef upgrading business.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2018, 10:37 pm »
KEF LS50 crossover

:o  That’s not quite what I would have expected.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2018, 12:46 am »
Ugh. Just looking at those pics make me break out in a hashy treble.

Yuck. Sonicap or ClarityCap CSA at minimum needed, stat. Are those 20awg inductors for the woofers? Sheesh. For what they're charging that's pathetic.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2018, 01:53 am »
Sadly, that's exactly what I have come to expect. Iron core 18 ga inductors, cheap poly caps, sand and wire resistors.  I know AJ in Fl did a fine job with those 100 woofers several years back.  I'd love to hear what Danny could do with them. 
You may have already seen this, but this is a F/R graph from an Altec Valencia reworked by Danny a few months back.  Those big woofers and horn are not easy to tame.  Lots have tried.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:29 am »
I have no doubt that when it comes crossovers Danny has a magic wand and the ability to improve practically anything. If I lived in Texas, I'd have him look at my Spatial's, but it would cost too much to ship them from Canada and back. However I do intend to get some other much smaller and lighter speakers off to him soon though.  8)

A_shah

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 04:01 am »

I have both a the passive Kef LS 50 & the powered LS50 W have to give credit to KEF that even with cheesy and cheap parts they make them sound so good.

A-shah

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2018, 04:29 am »
I've never heard them but I've noticed that they frequently appear on the used market. It would be interesting to hear them before and after Danny.

maty

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2018, 08:32 am »
To finish with KEF,

The R series use a electrolytic too and...

KEF R600c crossover

The same happens with many other brands, with very expensive speakers, very nice on the outside but neglecting the inside because you can not see it!

openbaffled

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2018, 03:37 pm »
What are those "blankets" around the R600 caps?  Probably trying to keep vibration away from the cap or maybe just trying to keep you from seeing their cheesy cap choice.

maty,

Do you own a set that you want to improve or just have access for pictures?  If you own it, you could play around with resistors to get the woofer level you want and then have Danny sell you better components of the same value.  It wouldn't be the same as having him measure and fix it, but certainly would be a step up in quality.

maty

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2018, 03:47 pm »
I already improved my KEF Q100. I could not remove the coaxial crown  for fear of breaking it so I could only act on the crossover. The current sound is much better than the original, which sounded very bad during the first hours, without bass -> they are a terrible purchase for compulsive buyers.

lokie

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2018, 07:04 pm »
Oh man, I wish you were in the Altanta area. I would be on your doorstep tomorrow morning w coffee and bagels.

maty

« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2018, 07:01 pm »
Focal Chorus 826V crossover

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2018, 07:07 pm »
That Focal crossover looks kind of familiar. I upgraded a pair of Focal 707's several years ago.

Here is the stock and then newly designed crossover side by side.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2018, 07:50 pm »
B&W Matrix 802 crossover

Made in 1988 -> electrolytics should not be in their best condition.