Tekton's New OB Speaker/Sub

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Tekton's New OB Speaker/Sub
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jan 2024, 11:05 pm »
If there are no rear firing tweeters why would it matter?
Looks to be dipole/OB for the woofer frequencies only.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jan 2024, 11:46 pm »
Since the OP only posts in the Spatial Audio circle perhaps he is unaware of this circle that would have been a better place for this thread.  :scratch:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

I posted it in the Spatial circle because its pretty obvious that Tekton, a UT-based brand is biting the ideas of another UT-based speaker designer as it is particularly relevant to this circle.

Why the third person referrence and shade?  :scratch:

jachinboazicus

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jan 2024, 11:49 pm »
If there are no rear firing tweeters why would it matter?
Looks to be dipole/OB for the woofer frequencies only.

"The first true open baffle loudspeaker from Tekton Design features our patented tweeter array and a 15-inch subwoofer in a beautiful, elegant package."

Because if the woofer is the only OB aspect, it isn't a 'true' OB loudspeaker per the product copy.

Its a sloppy product launch.

Mr. Big

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jan 2024, 11:54 pm »
"The first true open baffle loudspeaker from Tekton Design features our patented tweeter array and a 15-inch subwoofer in a beautiful, elegant package."

Because if the woofer is the only OB aspect, it isn't a 'true' OB loudspeaker per the product copy.

Its a sloppy product launch.

It's a sale pitch and it does not look to be a pure open baffle, it's used in loose terms for the woofer only. I've never been a fan of Tekton's, Offer you the moon for little, many drivers of cheap quality and ugly-boxes looking speakers to boot. Did a lot of advertisements :) in major audio magazines thus a lot of hype from those publications, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan 2024, 12:11 am »
I posted it in the Spatial circle because its pretty obvious that Tekton, a UT-based brand is biting the ideas of another UT-based speaker designer as it is particularly relevant to this circle.

Why the third person referrence and shade?  :scratch:

Obvious that Tekton is biting the ideas of Spatial?
What's it like living in such a small world with limited exposure?

jachinboazicus

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan 2024, 12:36 am »
Obvious that Tekton is biting the ideas of Spatial? Yes
What's it like living in such a small world with limited exposure? You tell me.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan 2024, 01:36 am »
Maybe Tekton can make a great sounding OB speaker.  Something they failed to do with their box speakers.

Early B.

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:39 am »
Maybe Tekton can make a great sounding OB speaker.  Something they failed to do with their box speakers.

"As the mic drops, the stunned audience is rendered silent. Only the faint sounds of "Dayyummm!!" and "No he didn't go there!" could be heard echoing from the lurkers huddled in the balcony."

Daryl Zero

« Reply #48 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:51 am »

Tekton already had an OB speaker (the Sigma) that I considered prior to getting the Spatial. I didn't go that route because there seemed to be very little feedback or reviews on that speaker.

https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/ob-sigma/

Early B.

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm »
Tekton already had an OB speaker (the Sigma) that I considered prior to getting the Spatial. I didn't go that route because there seemed to be very little feedback or reviews on that speaker.

It's not an OB speaker if the tweeter and a woofer are in a box. It's also touted as a "true full-range" speaker which isn't true.

This might be helpful:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146174.0

P.S. -- I understand the need for marketing hype, but there's a line that crosses over into deception. Tekton teeters on that line like a Cirque du Soleil performer. 

seikosha

« Reply #50 on: 8 Jan 2024, 01:34 pm »

They actually had one that predated the Sigma too.  This was probably 10-15 years ago when they first started.  It used a Fostex driver in an open baffle and then I think they augmented the bass with a box.  Tekton has probably made more speakers than any company I can think of.  Not implying that it’s a good or a bad thing, but it seems like they are constantly just throwing things out on the market and seeing what sticks.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #51 on: 8 Jan 2024, 01:51 pm »
Okay, so if a speaker has a wideband driver and no tweeter it may be open baffle, if a speaker uses a cone tweeter it may be open baffle, anything else not open baffle. Got it.

Not very many open baffle speakers out there by those standards.
Dipole radiation does not equal open baffle.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Mr. Big

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jan 2024, 03:41 pm »
I emailed them. The $3K is only the deposit then $4K when they are ready to ship. So the total is $7,000.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:08 pm »
Okay, so if a speaker has a wideband driver and no tweeter it may be open baffle, if a speaker uses a cone tweeter it may be open baffle, anything else not open baffle. Got it.

Not very many open baffle speakers out there by those standards.
Dipole radiation does not equal open baffle.

The new Tekton ain't true OB.

The Spatial M3 Triode Master is an example of a true OB speaker

Mr. Big

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jan 2024, 07:16 pm »
The new Tekton ain't true OB.

The Spatial M3 Triode Master is an example of a true OB speaker

1st open type of baffle I owned was in 1980 the speaker was the Dalquist DQ10 mids on up were open baffle with a sealed box bass driver, the sound was very open and imaged well, they liked power and the more you gave them the better they sounded, a Threshold 400A could shake the room on a Telarc recordings, Jazz at the Pawnshop put you right in the club, not many speakers made today can do that.

JackD

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jan 2024, 02:51 am »
Most of Carl's current models from the Champ up follow a similar design philosophy as his DQ-10 design with similar results. 

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #57 on: 9 Jan 2024, 04:33 am »
Think i'll go talk about the new Magico speaker in the Wilson forum, because that makes as much sense as this topic being here. I no little about Spatial speakers and nothing about there owners, but out of respect to them and their forum i think this should be moved.

Don

jachinboazicus

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jan 2024, 06:00 pm »
Think i'll go talk about the new Magico speaker in the Wilson forum, because that makes as much sense as this topic being here. I no little about Spatial speakers and nothing about there owners, but out of respect to them and their forum i think this should be moved.

Don

I said it elsewhere, but the rendered image looks like a Spatial speaker with a McIntosh Tekton array slapped on it. Spatial is one of a handful of well known OB speaker manufacturers, and they are based ~30-mins away from Tekton in Utah. Spatial recently sold, and the X4(which is a tested model that you can actually buy now) is now ~$10K, and the Tekton crowdfunded idea is priced just below that at $7K with a $3K 'deposit' that is likely going into R&D for the product that has no specs.

Given the context, I thought it pertained to this circle. More than happy to delete if others feel this is in poor taste.

Don_S

« Reply #59 on: 9 Jan 2024, 08:13 pm »
EDIT: 35 years ago a speaker was designed to mimic a Quad Electrostatic speaker openiess. Which is why they were shaped like a Quad ESL 57.

Thank you for that information. I owned DQ10s and did not know the shape mimicked Quad. They were not famous, at least not to me, when I bought them. I bought them because they sounded better than any other speaker in the stores I visited. And that was a time when there were more stores to choose from. That started me on a long journey of OB, planar-magnetic and electrostatic speakers.