Song3 Encore 9.5 - SOLD

jsalk

Song3 Encore 9.5 - SOLD
« on: 13 Oct 2020, 06:34 pm »
Over the past six months or so, we have had several requests to produce a version of the Song3 Encore with the drivers and crossovers from the SS9.5's.  Since speaker cabinets are designed based on the internal volume of the woofer and the woofer is the same in both of these models, this is no problem.  At least that is what I thought.

Recently, we were producing a pair of Song3 Encores for a customer who wanted the original set of Encore drivers.  But the member of our crew who cut the driver holes in the cabinet mistakenly assumed this would be another pair of Encores with 9.5 drivers and cut the holes accordingly.  Naturally, the SS9.5 midrange is larger than the Eton midrange so we were unable to use these cabinets to build a standard pair of Song3 Encores. 

So we finished them up the way the driver holes were cut and now have the resulting pair available for sale.  Here is a picture...

And here is a frequency response plot...

This pair is finished, tested and ready to go.  They are priced at $5995, plus shipping.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2020, 04:42 pm by jsalk »

Yomaha

Re: Song3 Encore 9.5
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2020, 03:04 am »
Jim,

How would these compare to the BeAT’s just as a point of reference?  And what is the sensitivity?

Thanks!

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:55 pm »
This version of the Song3 Encore is 87 db sensitive (same as original).

Obviously, since the tweeter and midrange are the same, there is not difference there.  But this version plays down to an F3 of 25 Hz vs. 33Hz for the BeAT's.  The lowest note used in most music is about 29Hz, so these have you covered.

If you played these speakers side-by-side, you would notice that the Encore version sounds like a larger speaker (it is) and the 9.5" woofer moves more air down low. 

The bass is the only significant difference between the two models.

- Jim

JRMNorth

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2020, 03:23 am »
Hi Jim,

I like the new speaker!  It looks better proportioned with the larger mid (compared to the regular encore). 

I do have a few questions:

-  Are they Satin Black? 
-  Compared to the regular Encores, would the big difference be better mid bass, due to the larger mid? 
-  What is the build time for a custom build of this model?

Thanks,

John

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2020, 02:44 pm »
Hi Jim,

I like the new speaker!  It looks better proportioned with the larger mid (compared to the regular encore). 

I do have a few questions:

-  Are they Satin Black? 
-  Compared to the regular Encores, would the big difference be better mid bass, due to the larger mid? 
-  What is the build time for a custom build of this model?

Thanks,

John

These are satin black.

The regular Eton midrange has a magnesium cone and is a very good driver.  It is very detailed.  The AudioTechnology midrange used in this version of the Encore and the SS9.5's is a bit smoother and a bit more "musical."  Both are excellent drivers.  If you like a lot of detail, stick with the original.  If you listen to a lot of classic rock or want a smoother sound, go with the AT mid.  The AT mid probably has a bit more body in the lower midrange/upper bass.

Build time for a new pair of these would likely run about 120 days, but it all depends on the finish.  A satin black finish is much quicker since no veneering is required.  And open grained woods like walnut take longer to finish than closed grain woods like maple.

I hope this answers your questions.

- Jim

Archguy

Re: Song3 Encore 9.5 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2020, 11:22 pm »
Not surprised they sold quickly. Those are handsome loudspeakers and that's about the flattest frequency-response plot I've ever seen.  Congrats to the new owner.

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2020, 12:58 am »
Yep, those were a bargain for sure...

Scott586

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2022, 11:29 pm »
Apologies for resurrecting this older thread but it's relevant.  What is the goal for putting the SS 9.5 drivers and cross-over into the Song3 Encore cabinet?  Comparing the two current models it seems a like-for-like trade.  Am I missing something?
I'm contemplating my options before a purchase.  Thanks all!

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2022, 03:58 pm »
Apologies for resurrecting this older thread but it's relevant.  What is the goal for putting the SS 9.5 drivers and cross-over into the Song3 Encore cabinet?  Comparing the two current models it seems a like-for-like trade.  Am I missing something?
I'm contemplating my options before a purchase.  Thanks all!

The original Eton midrange is no longer available. So we were faced with a choice...eliminate the Encores design or use an alternative midrange.  Since the internal cabinet volume and tuning for the Satori 9.5" woofer was the same as the SS9.5 and we knew the AT midrange worked well in that design, we decided to simply substitute the AT mid for the Eton.  We already had a crossover design for that complement of drivers (SS 9.5) so it was any easy switch to make.

The Encores do not have passive radiators or the open back midrange.  It is also an easier cabinet to build and veneer.  So now there are two choices with similar performance atributes.  Never hurts to have some choice.

- Jim

Scott586

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2022, 09:28 pm »
Thanks Jim, that's what I thought but wasn't sure.  The original purchaser of the above pair just sold them.  I was trying to figure out how to acquire them but he's 18 hours away & didn't want to ship.  Sold within a day :(