Looking For A Subwoofer For LS3/5A Speakers

audiojem

Looking For A Subwoofer For LS3/5A Speakers
« on: 9 Feb 2020, 01:14 pm »
I love Mini Monitors and own a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary Version and Graham Chartwell LS3/5A's.
I have them in a 12" x 15" room looking to add some bass without taking away from my monitors so I'm searching for a sub that will blend nicely with them.
I'm not sure the room could take a pair of subs but no expert here by any means.
I want something built not looking for a project any Ideas would be helpful.
Thanks In Advance.
AJ

audiojem

Re: Looking For A Subwoofer For LS3/5A Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2020, 01:19 pm »
Not sure if I put this in the correct circle if not please let me know a better one.
Thanks
AJ

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:42 am »
I love Mini Monitors and own a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary Version and Graham Chartwell LS3/5A's.
I have them in a 12" x 15" room looking to add some bass without taking away from my monitors so I'm searching for a sub that will blend nicely with them.
I'm not sure the room could take a pair of subs but no expert here by any means.
Thanks In Advance.
AJ

Subs for music I find is kind of hard choice I own two pairs of Kef LS 50 passive set and an active set that serves  with my desk top system also full range Daedalus Poseidon speakers in a separate system for music 
the Passive LS 50 serve as front channels for HT system , for centre channel I have a SVS Ultra . The sub I use for that system is a HSU VTF-15 MK2 a massive beast
with a 15 " driver . I have alway found it hard to integrate it with my two channel system for HT it works GR8 .So recently I have acquired a REl T/9i I am just testing it to see how it integrates with my  2 channel listening the form factor is nice as it is very small and very well made , the other options you may want to look at are Rythmik Servo controlled JL , & Sumiko , SVS , SVS has very good customer service you could probably talk to Ed Mullen the Technical Director at SVS for further advice. Personally I don't like subs for music my Poseidon with with 2 -8 inch drives seem to have all the bass I want even when I listen to  Ivan Fischer Mahler Symphony 7, hope this helps ! :thumb:
Asghar

navi

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2020, 12:40 pm »
Thanks In Advance.
AJ

If you have LS3/5a's then you need to try to build your own AB1
Ebay sells the cabinet. You just need to get a hold of a pair of B110 and read this:
http://www.g4dcv.co.uk/ls35a/diy.html

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2020, 07:08 pm »
I own a pair of Linn Kan mk1 which essentially is a LS35a but with different tweeters.  I match it with a Velodyne ULD15MK1.  Perfect match imo.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2020, 09:57 pm »

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:32 am »
I agree with Tyson, I have two pair. I have used them with monitors from Nola, Reynaud and Fritz.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:15 am »
If you build the AB1 type sub, note that a second order high pass filter feeding the satellite is incorporated into the crossover. This is necessary, in my opinion, as if run full range, the LS3/5A has a substantial resonant hump around 100 Hz to compensate for lack of extension (6 dB down by 60 Hz) and this makes mating with any sub difficult.

I know; I've tried blending a pair of nice Hsu's with the Harbeth HLP3s (which are like an upscale LS3/5A in my book) and after a year of trying never came even close to success—but I was letting the Harbeths run full range. This was 25 years ago and both time and money were too tight to allow experimentaion, but I learned that trying for success without high passing them is a waste of time—unless you like sloppy, boomy bass, and some seem to, I've noticed.

audiojem

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2020, 11:14 am »
Thanks for all the input still taking it all in not interested in building my own.
Any input on the SVS or REL subs?
Thanks
AJ

audiojem

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2020, 11:49 am »
Any first hand input on Salks too?
Thanks
AJ

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:20 pm »
AJ, my room is the same size as yours. I use a REL T7i with my ELAC Uni-fi-ub5. I set the sub up and broke it in according to REL.

Steve

Mike B.

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2020, 04:52 pm »
Many moons back Dale Satterberg designed and sold a woofer specifically for that speaker. It was reviewed well. I think you can do better with today's technology. I use JL audio Fathom series subs which I think would be excellent.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Satterberg-MW-2-Subwoofers-Speakers-for-Rogers-LS3-5A-/133101942393

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2020, 12:10 pm »
Salk subs are simply expensive better braced versions of Rythmik subs.  Why not just try a Rythmik L12 for $540?

I heard an affordable LS3/5A clone at AKFest in 2009 that had a matching bass unit/stand that sounded very nice. (one of the very systems that sounded good in those small hotel rooms).  Sorry can't recall/find the brand/model but was also sold by a rather popular internet seller (again sorry can't recall which one). 

I had LS3/5A clones 40 years ago and paired them with 6 cu. ft. passive kit based bass boxes which overloaded any room I could ever hope to afford.

Luxmancl38

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm »
I recently added a JL Audio D-110 to my Aerial 5T's. Gained lot's of tuneful detailed bottom end. Not a one note bass sound. Very musical. I demoed against the REL 7TI and the SVS PB2000 plus models from Paradigm, Martin Logan and KEF. JL Audio was just the best in my room. :thumb:

jtcf

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:17 am »
It's easier to blend two or three inexpensive subs into your room rather than one IME.They cancel whatever peaks and nulls are in the room and won't draw attention to themselves.Research the "swarm" system.I like SVS.

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2020, 12:34 am »
I am currently running a pair of Graham Chartwell LS3/5’s in a 9x13x8 listening room. I am using 3 HSU subs in my room. They are,2-stf 1’s,and 1 vtf2 mk3. Very pleased with this setup. My room is also treated with gik bass traps,and absorption panels.