upgrade from Studio-20s ... HT1s?

albireo13

upgrade from Studio-20s ... HT1s?
« on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:45 pm »
I've had the itch for awhile to upgrade from my Paradigm Studio-20 bookshelves.  Reading this forum does not help!   :lol:
  This is for 2-ch music in the living room so being attractive is important as well as sonics.   The Studio-20s sound nice but lack bass extension.  I had been looking into adding a sub or replacing with towers.  High on mylist were the Songtowers.  However, since I have the monitor stands already, why not consider Salk bookshelves like the HT1?   

I guess my question is ... would this be an upgrade in sound quality?
Spec-wise the HT1s go a bit lower than my Studio-20s (45Hz vs. 54Hz).
Would the mids and highs be better as well?

The HT1s sure look attractive in pics!   8)
The price of the HT1s is higher than the SongTowers so, I am thinking there must be some sonic advantage.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thx,
Rob

fsimms

Re: upgrade from Studio-20s ... HT1s?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:25 pm »
I had HT1’s before I upgraded to SoundScapes.   If I was looking at getting speakers in your price range, I would get the HT1-TL’s.  They look so cute!  I haven’t heard the TL’s but I did see a pair.  My HT1’s were a special speaker.   Even after 6 years with my HT1’s, I was listening to a 50's jazz LP just 2 days before my SoundScapes were to be delivered.  My eyes got watery in gratitude for the privilege of being able to listen to such a good sound from my HT1’s.  They often gave me excitement similar to listening to live music.  This emotion had nothing to do with the new SoundScapes or the proximity of the delivery.  I only thought of the SoundScapes after my emotion.

I do recommend that you listen to a pair of Salks in your area first though.

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:42 pm »
I've never heard a Paradigm or similar brand speaker that could hold a candle to a Salk speaker.  Night and day improvement.  Recently attended an HT demo with all Paradigms across the fronts and it was very restricted and lacking any openness and airiness.  Re-confirmed my love for my "lowly" SongTowers in my HT.  10 years ago I would have considered Paradigms seriously and perhaps missed the opportunity to have Salks in my life.  Give them a try!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2011, 06:53 pm »
I've had the itch for awhile to upgrade from my Paradigm Studio-20 bookshelves.  Reading this forum does not help!   :lol:
  This is for 2-ch music in the living room so being attractive is important as well as sonics.   The Studio-20s sound nice but lack bass extension.  I had been looking into adding a sub or replacing with towers.  High on mylist were the Songtowers.  However, since I have the monitor stands already, why not consider Salk bookshelves like the HT1?   

The HT1s sure look attractive in pics!   8)
The price of the HT1s is higher than the SongTowers so, I am thinking there must be some sonic advantage.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thx,
Rob

How loudly do you usually play?  The HT1 TL's will definitely give you more bass extension than either the S20's, HT1's, or ST's. And I'm pretty sure they would be a step up from the S20's in the mids and highs.  But you can't wham slam them at rock concert SPL's. 
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2011, 08:01 pm by DMurphy »

albireo13

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2011, 07:38 pm »
I tend to listen to music at low to modest levels.  Almost never drive loud.  The loud, rock days of my youth are long gone.  :lol:

albireo13

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2011, 04:04 pm »
Which would do better at higher SPLs .. the Songtowers?

Rob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2011, 05:42 pm »
Which would do better at higher SPLs .. the Songtowers?

Rob

On heavy bass material, the ST's will probably play louder before running into trouble.  But there won't be as much bass below 40 Hz.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:42 pm »

Without a doubt, yes.  The SongTower's sound better in the midrange than even the Paradigm Signature series; and not by a slim margin IMO.  I think you'll love whichever Salk speaker you choose.