New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

Danny Richie

Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #60 on: 28 Aug 2017, 03:13 pm »
Does that also mean that the N's and OB's are back, or will they require tweaking first?

All kits listed on our site are available.

studley

« Reply #61 on: 31 Aug 2017, 11:03 am »
Not that I'm a cabinet maker, but would using HDF either alone or in conjunction with another material like MDF or BB accomplish what you seek? I know HDF isn't cheap, but it must be less expensive than aluminum, no?
Panzerholz would probably be a good alternative, but probably costs as much as aluminium.

In the UK if you search around it's possible to buy Beech plywood.  It's a good bit stronger / more rigid than birch ply.  A CLD baffle made with 2 layers of Beech ply and bonded with green glue might be worth looking at.

Skeeboingen

« Reply #62 on: 15 Sep 2017, 02:23 am »
I am curious how you think these would do in an omni-directional set up, like facing upwards toward a cone?

~S

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:25 am »
I am curious how you think these would do in an omni-directional set up, like facing upwards toward a cone?

~S

That would be the O-3

http://gr-research.com/o-3.aspx

I haven't heard this model but the X series version, the X-Omni, sounds very good.

Mike

srb

« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2017, 08:25 am »
That would be the O-3

I think Skeeboingen is referring to the tweeter facing upwards with into an omni-directional cone reflector?

Skeeboingen

« Reply #65 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:02 pm »
THAT"S EXACTLY IT!!!  Thanks srb, how does it do?

~S

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 15 Sep 2017, 04:29 pm »
I've tried that before and really wanted it to work with some small full range drivers. I even made a omni flare using a woofer cone filled with plaster that set on an aluminum phase plug.

The problem is that short wavelengths don't reflect very well. You also get some compression and throat cancellation. So the response is very week up top and pretty choppy.

It can yield better results and add some room ambiance with nothing over it and with a response limited to the top octave. That way there is no on axis output. 

Skeeboingen

« Reply #67 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:06 pm »
I'm still in the theoretical stage, I was thinking dipole, but was interested in omni-directional for ambience.  Actually I was looking at dock piling caps for the cone.  What about one of each?  One pointed up, and one dipole?

~S

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:20 pm »
I'm still in the theoretical stage, I was thinking dipole, but was interested in omni-directional for ambience.  Actually I was looking at dock piling caps for the cone.  What about one of each?  One pointed up, and one dipole?

~S

It might be a little much to add one to another version that is already in a dipole configuration. It might add a little if the room is over damped.

I experimented with an up firing tweeter on the top of the LGK's.

It worked out really well and did add a layer of ambiance. However, it only worked really well if the voice coil of the up facing tweeter was aligned with the voice coil of the LGK driver. If it got off a little bit then it tended to be as much of a disruption. I was using a small TB tweeter with a Neo motor and a very small face plate. It sat on top of the box overhanging the front a little. There was just no way to mount it and make it look good. But I did get it to add some positive attributes to the presentations.

Another good application for the up facing tweeter is with larger full range or wide band drivers that drop off in the top octave. And the deeper voice coils of the larger drivers will more easily allow alignment.

Skeeboingen

« Reply #69 on: 15 Sep 2017, 05:52 pm »
Sometimes I think I may be trying to re-invent the wheel, forgetting that it will still be round! :duh:

I have a virtual pipe organ, with the speakers sitting on either of me as I play.  They also double as our stereo speakers, so they point out to the room instead of at me, hence my desire for more omni-directional.  Point source is of less importance here than to others, but fidelity is crucial.  Almost everybody that has a rig like mine uses self powered near field monitors, almost always Behringer 2031s with a sub or 2.  Some use as many as 40 front speakers, plus midfield and rear for surround!  I can't afford all that, but I do want good sound, so I appreciate the input.

~S

studley

Line Force Arrays
« Reply #70 on: 10 Oct 2017, 09:04 pm »
Everyone who heard the Line Force Arrays seems to be of the view that they have never heard anything better.  It would be great to give those comments some context, so I wondered if the relevant people would care to say what other top flight speakers they are familiar with but they think were bested by the Line Force Arrays.

Danny Richie

Re: Line Force Arrays
« Reply #71 on: 10 Oct 2017, 09:35 pm »
Everyone who heard the Line Force Arrays seems to be of the view that they have never heard anything better.  It would be great to give those comments some context, so I wondered if the relevant people would care to say what other top flight speakers they are familiar with but they think were bested by the Line Force Arrays.

Probably the strongest testament to that came from long time industry loudspeaker designer Igor Levitski. He designed all of the drivers being used in that speaker as well as many others. He has quite the trained ear and listened to those speaker intently for over an hour. He said the the system was the best that he had ever heard.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137990.0

studley

« Reply #72 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:29 pm »
Thanks for that Danny.  Quite a testament!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #73 on: 11 Oct 2017, 12:16 am »
Probably the strongest testament to that came from long time industry loudspeaker designer Igor Levitski. He designed all of the drivers being used in that speaker as well as many others. He has quite the trained ear and listened to those speaker intently for over an hour. He said the the system was the best that he had ever heard.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137990.0
So is there any chance that with the new drivers available, the Line Force Arrays could see the light of day?

I would imagine they would be very expensive with the machined Aluminum.

Captainhemo

« Reply #74 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:16 am »
So is there any chance that with the new drivers available, the Line Force Arrays could see the light of day?

Yeah, IIRC that pair   was around the  $60k  neighborhood with a set of triple 12 OB servo subs.   But  , when  one is looking for that level of  performance,  that price is  relatiely  cheap. 
We looked into doing a couple other designs in  aluminum  as well as  a couple other  materials,  it  does get pretty spendy in a  hurry .

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:51 pm »

They were very expensive to build. But, the Neo 10's are available from Parts Express and I have plenty of tweeters build just like the custom version that was made for Serenity Acoustics. Anybody serious enough about them can have a pair custom built.

studley

« Reply #76 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:08 pm »
Is CHrisitie Digital now making the Neo 10s or is it just old stock that Parts Exp have?

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:37 pm »
Is CHrisitie Digital now making the Neo 10s or is it just old stock that Parts Exp have?

I am pretty sure that Christie is supplying Parts Express with new drivers now. They are still being made at Dia-ichi just as they were before.

Oscillate

« Reply #78 on: 11 Oct 2017, 10:27 pm »
"Anybody serious enough about them can have a pair custom built

I feel, or at least believe that the frames could be made of something other
than custom milled aluminum? ...that would put them within $ reach :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 11 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm »
"Anybody serious enough about them can have a pair custom built

I feel, or at least believe that the frames could be made of something other
than custom milled aluminum? ...that would put them within $ reach :)

My research didn't yield any better solution.