Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomena $295.00

TheChairGuy

Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomena $295.00
« on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:52 pm »

I had the (optional) battery supply, but it was purchased separately

Michael Yee was commissioned to develop a very special, yet cost-effective, phono to line stage. Together, they came up with the Phonomena. This American designed and built unit offers many features, including: All discrete circuit topology (unlike many of its competitors which use op amps), Class A operation, adjustable gain from 40 – 60dB in 16 steps, Super-Matched parts, single gain stage with internally nested RIAA (simplifying the circuit and allowing the use of higher quality parts at the same price), adjustable loading from 30 Ohms 100K Ohms in 128 steps….

Musical Surroundings, the importer that lends their name to these units made by Micheal Yee, is a serious vinyl resource....Benz, Koetsu, Aethetix among them.

This is an excellent, very flexible phono preamp. It will very cleanly boost nearly any output cartridge. It is extremely quiet...eerily so with (optional) battery supply engaged. Even without running on batteries, it is very, very quiet.

I am selling because I bought a full function preamp with excellent phono....and I really find the high-output Grado's good enough for my needs.

I am the second owner - having had it for almost a year now. The rca's have been cleaned and Caig'ed (a very important 'tweek' for minimal cartridge voltages). They have clean fronts, tops and sides. I have original boxes, and manuals.

Fire away with any questions...Regards, John

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 05:28 am by TheChairGuy »

Tubes 4 Ever

Re: Musical Surroundings Phenomena $325.00
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:06 am »
 :D geez John I thought my habit was bad  aa
Tim
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2007, 04:55 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

Re: Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomena - $325.00
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2007, 03:51 am »
Tim,

You are waaaaaay more diseased than I am...but I certainly have a touch  :wink:
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2007, 04:55 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

Re: Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomenal - $295.00
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:08 pm »
RAL cable has sold separately today...Phenomena and Battery Supply are still available  aa
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 05:36 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

Re: Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomena - $295.00
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:39 am »
Will split pair if someone has a Phenomena and wants battery supply....or someone wants a first rank phono pre, but don't want to lay our $600+ for all  :)
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 05:36 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

Re: Musical Surroundings (Phono pre) Phenomena $295.00
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:59 am »
The Battery Power Supply was bought today - leaving just the Phenomena available as of today  :)
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 05:35 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:36 am »
New price - $295.00.

Nothing wrong with it, folks - it's just excess to my needs.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:34 am »
The Phenomena is sold...the beheaded/lopped Denon remains.

I'm really surprised it took that long to sell the Phenomena - if ever you see one around $300 used and need a phono pre, buy it.  Especially if you are in love with low output MC's....there is no phono pre anywhere near it's price with the loading options this gives you.  Dialing the right gain and load in are critical to getting everything from low output devices  :)

With LOMC's, you simply can't buy a tube preamp for any sensible money that will ratchet gain up 60db.  Run the Phenomena into a tube line preamp and you'll be in hog heaven.

It's dual mono, extremely silent at any gain level and the DIP switch options are truly outstanding.