Acoustic Technologies Classic Series?

AudioDwebe

Acoustic Technologies Classic Series?
« on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:33 pm »
Has anyone heard these speakers?

I saw a pair online and they looked interesting enough that I have them on order. 

I'm not sure if the company is still in existence but I've read some great things about these (also some not so great).  But they look very elegant and I am so curious as to how they will sound.

If you've heard them, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mamoru
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2020, 02:33 am by AudioDwebe »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Acoustic Technologies Classic Series?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2020, 12:03 pm »
Have been a single driver speaker fan for 20 years for their innate coherence/imaging superiority and commissioned a pair 16 years ago which I still use daily.  They are rather large transmission line based floor standers that use Fostex F200a drivers ($575 each when last available, 8 inch whizzer-less cones, AlNiCo magnets, EnABL treated, considered by some as the best extended range driver in the world, rated 89 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, 30-20,000 Hz, 27 watts continuous/80 watts peak).  Not your garden variety single driver speaker.

The speakers you're describing have no performance specifications given, I surmise they are inefficient, offer very limited ultimate output, and lack almost any bass (typical of most small extended range drivers).  Have you auditioned them?  Based on content they seem overpriced.  Audio Circle's own Omega Speakers would seem to represent a better value.  Hope you can at least listen to them before buying them.  Looks can be very deceiving, especially around audio gear. 
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2020, 01:09 pm by JLM »

AudioDwebe

Re: Acoustic Technologies Classic Series?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2020, 03:05 pm »
Nope, no audition. 

Just pulled the trigger because they were priced at a point where I thought taking a chance might be worthwhile and most everything written about them were actually praising them.  The only negatives were by a few folks on one of the forums, and I'm not even sure they listened to them.  The typical pooh-poohing without first hearing them.

Supposedly, they're 92dB efficient and soundstage well without having to put your head in a vise.  And supposedly they put out enough bass that showgoers were looking for the sub in the room these were demoed. 

I hope I won't be disappointed.