Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon

williamsims

Re: Still Trying to Buy a Classic, this time on Audiogon
« Reply #60 on: 2 Feb 2013, 03:51 am »
Hi, everyone, I wanted to give you all an update on my adventure:
I picked up the the 'table last weekend -- it looks great and  runs fine.
I bought a medium-output Benz Glider and Nordost  Frey 2 phono cable.

I was planning to get it up and running this weekend but am uneasy about the Nordost Frey 2 cable.  I'd actually won an auction for Nordost Tyr 1 cable.  However the seller told me he'd managed to convince the distributor to sell me the Frey 2 at the same price and, trusting fool that I am, I accepted.

But when I looked into the differences in the cables, I found that Tyr sells for 50% more than Frey.  Is there any reason to believe that second generation Frey is superior to first-generation Tyr? I smell a flim-flam and at this point am planning to exchange the the Frey II for the Tyr 1.

Does this make sense?  Anyone have any advice?  I'm inclined to take the more expensive first-generation cable, the Tyr 1.

One more question:  what's a good source of belts?  I gather that the Super version of the WTT uses the same belt that the Reference does.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Cheers -- Bill

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #61 on: 2 Feb 2013, 09:10 am »
If you have a good electronics repair shop near you they may be able to match up the belt with something they have in the back.
Or you could go here:
http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/well-tempered.html
 but the shipping is really slow
or here:
http://www.lpgear.com/category/WT.html

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #63 on: 2 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
No but the price is certainly right and their feedback can't be beat.
I think I'll get one for a spare.

williamsims

« Reply #64 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:53 am »
Hi, Steve, thanks as always for your imprimatur.

Seems like a good deal, given that one of the other clowns was charging $45/belt.

Cheers --  Bill

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #65 on: 3 Feb 2013, 01:05 am »
My last belt was a freebie from my local electronics repair shop, they just dug around in the back and came up with one. 
They're nice people and always do good work, too.

williamsims

« Reply #66 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:41 pm »
Hi, just in case you all haven't seen the WTT for sale over at ATi, it looks like a nice one:

http://www.audiotechindustries.com/oc/classified.php?p=426-Well-Tempered-Classic-Turntable/

Cheers -- Bill

/mp

« Reply #67 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:30 am »
Hey Bill,

Just peeked at the table to which you provided a link. Did you notice the difference between the tables in the images? Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me there are differences between the two upper images one views one at a time by clicking on the thumbnail. Both are square motor WTTs; however, one WTA has a silver fluid cup, no cartridge or cartridge clip while the other one has a black fluid cup, mounted cartridge and cartridge clip. There sit on different wood blocks. One is thinner and browner; the other is thicker and redder with a little scoop removed in the center and a placque. The lower image is a round motor WTT with a high gloss plinth.

mark

williamsims

« Reply #68 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:48 am »
Hey, Mark, absolutely!  Child-hearted trusting fellow that I am, I ASSumed the lower photo was a stock photo not one of the actual table.  Does look a little fishy.  I'll ask the guy.

williamsims

Source of WTT belts
« Reply #69 on: 15 Feb 2013, 04:03 am »
Hi, everyone, earlier I mentioned I was going to try an ebay source of belts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Well-Tempered-CLASSIC-REFERENCE-RECORD-PLAYER-Turntable-Belt-35-1-inch-/110991329312?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item19d7994820&afsrc=1

Long story short they arrived today in pristine condition, and the price is right:  $13.95 each.

Cheers -- Bill

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 17 Mar 2013, 09:42 am »
Did the belt work out okay?

williamsims

« Reply #71 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:56 pm »
Hi, Steve, shortly after the belts arrived I started getting ready to move and packed them up with the TT.  As soon as I move and get unpacked, I'll let you (all) know.  In the meantime I've gotten a second-hand Aesthetix Janus preamp so the phono preamp issue is resolved.

Hope all's well with you -- Bill