Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....

SteevA

Having upgraded from a Denon 103R to a Dynavector XX2 and then from a Pioneer PL-71 to a Versalex I decided to compare this phono stage (http://www.pureaudio.co.nz/?page_id=37) to my Dynavector P-75 Mk1.

In doing so I broke a rule I have lived with for many years -  to never do a home demo of something above my budget.

I thought it would be better and it was, but by somewhat more than I had anticipated.

When I first started to listen to it I was a bit underwhelmed as it didn't really sound much different - but I gradually began to realise that I was hearing high end detail extracted by the XX2 which the P-75 had been hiding from me.  The bass was also tighter and more textured, but not any deeper.  So I kept on listening for 3 more days, just to be sure. One big difference I noticed was how much more lifelike cymbals sounded.

The proof of the pudding was to come, if it was going to, after I took it back.  It did and now I miss it a lot and have bowered to the conclusion I am going to have to save my pennies to buy one.

Perhaps listening to CD for a few weeks will let me forget it or maybe I should demo the new P75 Mk3 in the hope it has somehow bridged the gap.

Perhaps next time I will have better self control.

Steve
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 04:14 am by SteevA »

BobM

Re: Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm »
I've often said that the weakest and most overlooked link in the vinyl chain is the phono preamp. You need to spend as much here as you do on an upscale cartridge or an upscale arm or the table itself. A $1700 cartridge with a $500 phono stage doesn't make sense when you think about it, and certainly not when you hear the difference.

SteevA

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2012, 02:21 pm »
I think you are right.

I have laughed at other people in the past who said thier systems sounded broken. Now I know what they mean.

I think I will wait a bit before demoing a  new power amp as at the moment I just suspect improvements could be made in that area.

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:20 pm »
I did the same thing last weekend... demo'd an amp 2x my budget just for fun and that was the one I ended up purchasing.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:51 pm »
Steve, good story... I think most of us can relate. 
The new mk3 is far ahead of the 1.  And with the xx2 make sure you run it in enhanced mode if you borrow it.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:29 pm »
Five and a half time more expensive was your error.  Huge regret.  That would be like me purchasing a Dynaudio contour s5.4 new instead of a planned upgrade Vandy model 3 upgrade

"PureAudio will be featuring more ambitious designs than Plinius; the phono preamplifier will probably cost around $4500"

"Dynavector P75 mkII Phono Preamp Only $850.00 "

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:48 pm »
I can honestly say that after hearing the $5000 Soundsmith cart on their $895 phono pre that might be something you should take a listen to.  Of course I'm speaking about the pre.

http://www.sound-smith.com/preamp/

I use a Zesto Andros PS-1.

Erocka2000

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:01 pm »
I actually just did the same thing.  I purchased a pair of DeVore Fidelity Nines speakers.  It was just an offer I couldn't refuse. 

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:08 pm »
Good buy.... Love those.  What will you drive em with?

Oh, the new P-75mklll is $895...

Erocka2000

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:46 pm »
I'll be driving them with my Line Magnetic 216IA integrated amp. 

SteevA

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:50 pm »
Five and a half time more expensive was your error.  ......
True, but that was sort of the point of the exercise as I saw it in my mind.  I figured that trying something a little better could yield inconclusive results so decided to find out if spending serious money really made a serious difference.

The price difference is not quite that much here.  The P75 mk2 is about NZ$1000 while the Pure Audio is NZ$4400.  Probably just reflects the latter being made 'down the road' here in Wellington and the P-75 being made 'across the ditch' in Australia.

On the positive side, I will now have something to judge the P75 Mk3 against when I try it.  On one level I am sort of happy as I now know that a lot more can be extracted from the XX2.  I had been mulling over getting the DV TKR at some point but clearly doing that would not have been a good investment if I had run it through the P-75 Mk1.  Paradoxically, I now feel less inclined towards the TKR as it would have cost more than the Pure Audio and lasted only a fraction of the time, but probably yielded less benefit.

I can honestly say that after hearing the $5000 Soundsmith cart on their $895 phono pre that might be something you should take a listen to.  Of course I'm speaking about the pre.

http://www.sound-smith.com/preamp/

I use a Zesto Andros PS-1.
I don't think the Soundsmith stuff is available round here.

Steve

SteevA

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2012, 02:26 am »
Steve, good story... I think most of us can relate. 
The new mk3 is far ahead of the 1.  And with the xx2 make sure you run it in enhanced mode if you borrow it.
Should have a P-75 Mk3 at home for a demo over our upcoming long weekend.  Don't think I will bother trying a Mk2.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2012, 02:39 am »
good to hear.....and good move on the bypass, the mkll is discontinued...  let us know what happens....

and with your  xx2, be sure to have it in pe (phono enhanced) mode....I'll be curious to read about your findings...

SteevA

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:47 am »
I run the MK1 in enhanced mode so it would make sence to test like with like.

The other thing I need to remember is that the power supply polarity has changed on the Mk3 (or so I was told) so I will need to swap sockets on the DPS.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:59 am »
yes one does.....I forgot this, and had a dead DPS till I switched it into the next socket.......as I said one time on here, my technical skills won't get me too far  :duh:

SteevA

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2012, 03:34 am »
Well, the P75 mk1 is now back in and sounding a bit less under control than the mk3, particularly in the higher registers. This was particularly noticeable with my changing them over half way through Icehouse’s Measure for Measure album being played at a ‘when the partner is out for coffee’ sort of volume.  In fact I felt it necessity to turn down the volume a bit after the swap.  It is of course possible that the mk1 has more gain than the mk3 in enhanced mode.

I don’t think the mk3 is any more musical then the mk1 but it is definitely more refined and you can pick out more detail in the treble.  In comparison, the mk1 sounds a bit splashy and crashy.

So would I buy one?  If I had not just last week heard the Pure Audio Vinyl then most definitely I would.  Under that scenario, even if I had a choice between a cheap 2nd hand mk1 and a new mk3 I would still go for the mk3. 

But I don’t think I will be buying one, since having now heard what my XX2 is capable of producing I think the P-75 mk3 would leave me frustrated and with a big glowing ‘what if’ sitting over the vinyl part of my system.

Steve

SteevA

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2012, 08:26 pm »
Have now arranged to try out a Simaudio Moon 310LP (http://www.simaudio.com/moon310LP.htm).

This one is a little cheaper than the Pure Audio machine and a lot smaller.  It can also be upgraded with an external power supply, at some later stage, but doing so then makes it at least NZ$1000 more expensive than the Pure Audio. 

I don’t think the one I am getting to demo will come with the PSU so making call between the two may be difficult if they are close.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm »
No no and no to the Sim.  A shop near me sells them so I do know of this. Non musical.  Look elsewhere.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm »
If he is able to try it out, why not let him see how he likes the sound of the Sim? 

Audio is not a one flavor for all hobby.

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm »
Never said it was... just some things need to go away.
True, he won't know till he tries.  Go for it.