Versalex 10.5" tonearm setting problem

wahaha

Versalex 10.5" tonearm setting problem
« on: 31 Jul 2012, 04:57 pm »
Dear all, this is my first post. Hope all expert can help me to solve the problem, thanks.

I am the NEW user of the well tempered versalex, I have try to set the tonearm with some protractor like vinylengine stupid protractor, well tempered protrctor for GTA. But I still can't set the inner grove have good performance, the distortion is so serious.

Did anyone have the protractor for versalex LTD tonearm?

Please help, thanks everyone.

Erocka2000

Re: Versalex 10.5" tonearm setting problem
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:08 pm »
Please refer to the post called Alignment Issue on Amadeus.  All your answers will be in there.

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2012, 03:26 pm »
Where did you purchase your Versalex? Who set it up?

WTL informed me that they will be putting a new alignment guide on the welltemperedlab.net blog in the near future. The one that had been posted was not disastrous, but somehow was not translated (graphically) correctly from Bill's instructions.

Check that the twist of filaments that suspend the ball is in the correct direction- counter clockwise. This gives a subtle anti-skate force. If the filaments are twisted in the opposite direction.. it might limit inner groove tracking ability.

Mike

wahaha

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2012, 03:59 pm »
Hi, Erocka, I have read that post before but there is no any protractor can be found or download, please forgive me as the newbie, can you provide any link for the protractor?

wahaha

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2012, 04:00 pm »
Hi, Mike, I am in Hong Kong and I buy it through my friend in China. The turntable is send from China directly, no one set it up for me, I need setup by myself.

Do you know when will WTL release the LTD tonearm protractor? I am urgently need it.

I think the golf ball is setup correctly.......maybe I post the photo for you to check, OK?

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2012, 08:57 pm »
There will be a new head shell alignment guide posted at welltemperedlab.net, soon.
You're welcome to post photos, but seeing if the tone arm filaments are twisted properly isn't easy to see in a photo.

Mike

SteevA

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2012, 09:50 pm »
Setup is not helped by the instructions telling you to rotate the collar clockwise when it really should be anti-clockwise

I.e. this bit is wrong
"5. Suspend arm by applying one and half turns on the monofilament
suspension around the azimuth collar apply clockwise half twist
to the mono-filament suspension lower golf
ball into bearing cup and slide azimuth adjusting collar onto
azimuth rod (the clockwise twist effectively provides “antiskate”.
See Fig (5) and Drawings (1) and (2)."

I understand it is going to be fixed but it may not have been in your version.  The LTD manual is certainly not the high point of the product and could do with a decent re-write, but that mistake is the only one I found.

My Versalex did not need any headshell alignment and unless you have managed to move your headshell from where it was when you got it, yours should not need any adjustment either.

Steve

wahaha

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:59 am »
I have try to reverse the gold ball (please refer to photo), the inner groove distortion seems like decreasing. :D

But, there are still have some problem, I need to listen few days to found out the problems. :duh:

SteevA

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2012, 08:54 pm »
That looks like you have given the collar 1.5 turns rather then 0.5.  If you have given it 1.5 then you need to remove one.  That is nearly as bad as giving it 0.5 of a turn in the wrong direction (as per the manual).

Steve

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2012, 04:29 pm »
Agreed..... looks like one too many twists( at least ) to me as well.

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2012, 04:39 pm »
Plus..... I can't see much in the way of damping fluid in the pic. Not sure how the Versalex compares to the Amadeus in this regard, but it doesn't look like the ball is 1/3 submerged. As I've stated, if the Versalex is  different as far as the fluid/ball relationship, never mind.

wahaha

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2012, 05:46 pm »
That looks like you have given the collar 1.5 turns rather then 0.5.  If you have given it 1.5 then you need to remove one.  That is nearly as bad as giving it 0.5 of a turn in the wrong direction (as per the manual).

Steve

Hi, Steve. You mean that I need to release 1 turn? But, how's the direction? Is it correct? Thanks.

wahaha

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2012, 05:49 pm »
Plus..... I can't see much in the way of damping fluid in the pic. Not sure how the Versalex compares to the Amadeus in this regard, but it doesn't look like the ball is 1/3 submerged. As I've stated, if the Versalex is  different as far as the fluid/ball relationship, never mind.

Maybe my photo has not show well, I have check the fluid, it's around 1/3 already. Do I need to add more fluid?

SteevA

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:02 pm »
Yes the direction looks correct.  You need to remove at least 180° of twist.

It should look like this (except I should have used the good camera).  At least that is how mine looks and I don't get any distortion.  When the manual say’s to apply a ½ twist it is unclear whether this is roughly 90° or roughly 270° (180° won't mate with the suport arm).  I chose the former (roughly 90°) and it works well so I am assuming that is what was meant.  The manual really needs a top view showing just how much twist is required for this.

Below is a picture of the demo unit I had at home before buying mine and it looks like the dealer has made the same decision as to what ½ a twist means as I did.

And about 1/3 golfball submersion is also corrrect for a Versalex.  What I did to get the fluid level correct is to wind the adjuster right up then gradually fill the cup until things just started to sound a bit doring (very subjective measure I know).  I then wound the adjuster down one rotation at a time until I thought it sounded OK.  I also tried doing it the other way round but it was not quite as successful.

Steve
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2012, 08:49 pm by SteevA »

wahaha

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2012, 03:29 am »
Hi, Steve. I have twist the gold ball as photo. But the inner goove distortion still remain :icon_twisted:

Do you have more skill to set the tonearm? Thank you very much!! :wink:

threadkiller

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2012, 04:10 am »
Looks like you both have the proper twist, and in the right direction. The left string should be over the right, which looks like you both have.

The error I see is in wahaha's photo- get your counterweights together on the tonearm.  Not proper.  Otherwise could job.
Make sure cartridge is perfectly projected on the shiny side of strobe disc. Rotate small wheel back and forth to line up sides of cartridge with reflection.

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2012, 04:12 am »
Good job!  Oh those typos...  :lol:

SteevA

« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:38 am »
Do you have more skill to set the tonearm? Thank you very much!! :wink:
I guess after that you need to check you are at the right tracking weight for your cartridge and then see if increasing it toward the top of its recommended range makes any difference.

Your golf ball looks pretty level but, as threadkiller says, you need to confirm azimuth is correct at the cartridge.  I understand the arm can be pushed through the golf ball (although I don’t plan to try that) so it is possible yours has been rotated so that when the golf ball is level the cartridge is not.

Trying another cartridge is another step to rule out cartridge related issues.

Can you take a top down picture of your headshell / cartridge?

Also a front on view of your cartridge while it is playing might be useful.

I’m not sure VTA would cause that problem unless it was way off.  Have you looked at that?

Steve

wahaha

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:06 am »
Looks like you both have the proper twist, and in the right direction. The left string should be over the right, which looks like you both have.

The error I see is in wahaha's photo- get your counterweights together on the tonearm.  Not proper.  Otherwise could job.
Make sure cartridge is perfectly projected on the shiny side of strobe disc. Rotate small wheel back and forth to line up sides of cartridge with reflection.

If you said left string should be over the right, mine is incorrect. The photo shows right string over the left. :duh:

SteevA

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2012, 10:34 am »
It depends on your point of reference.  You have yours the correct way round in that picture.  Anti skate needs to apply a force to the arm away from the spindle.  That arrangement of the strings in your picture will do that.

Steve