what would you choose?

threadkiller

Re: what would you choose?
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2012, 11:07 pm »
Very good advice!
Yes, that's how I hear it as well..
Get a great table for relatively little money, if you like add the Auditorium mat and WTL DPS ( external power supply), use a decent cartridge and IC ( apparently one that doesn't hum- and I don't care who this Morrow is, all I can think of is Vic Morrow) and don't get your ball too far down in the goo ( that's what she said).

vortrex

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2012, 11:22 pm »
how is the azimuth adjusted?

jsawyer09

« Reply #22 on: 2 May 2012, 12:58 am »
how is the azimuth adjusted?

It's pretty simple...you just turn the azimuth adjustment collar (the knob or 'cylinder'...the one you slide onto the suspension rod where the ball/tonearm/nylon go) slightly left or right, after it has been 'twisted' on. You can even do it on-the-fly as a record is playing.

threadkiller

« Reply #23 on: 2 May 2012, 01:21 am »
True.  The WTL way is to flip the strobe disc over, use the reflection from it to make your adjustment. Either way, a piece of cake...

jsawyer09

« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2012, 01:34 am »
True.  The WTL way is to flip the strobe disc over, use the reflection from it to make your adjustment. Either way, a piece of cake...

That's cool...I didn't know that. Thanks for that bit of info.

vortrex

« Reply #25 on: 2 May 2012, 02:25 am »
does anyone use a record clamp on their WT?  the spindle sure seems as though it was made long enough for one but I've never heard it mentioned.

and here's an amadeus with that cuing arm option:

http://www.blackpearls-online.de/shop/amadeus_10.jpg

mick wolfe

« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2012, 03:39 am »
does anyone use a record clamp on their WT?  the spindle sure seems as though it was made long enough for one but I've never heard it mentioned.

and here's an amadeus with that cuing arm option:

http://www.blackpearls-online.de/shop/amadeus_10.jpg

When I assembled the Amadeus and perhaps when you assemble the Amadeus, you'll see that the platter/spindle/ bearing "floating" dynamic does not invite the use of a clamp....neither the weight of the clamp or the downward force. I wouldn't let a clamp of any ilk get within 10 feet of the Amadeus. Just my opinion, but I'm stick'in with it.

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2012, 03:44 am »
You're not alone in your opinion. Mr F and Mr P definitely say no clamp of any kind, not even the Pig. Which is a blessing not to have to fool with.

code4246

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2012, 01:22 pm »
I like my classic, but it's definitely not reviewed as well as the WT.  in fact, you will see plenty of reviews out there where people do not care for the classic.  I can't find a single negative review or negative remark about the sound of the WT.  I really want to see if it is as magical as it is said to be.  the review at pitch perfect audio says a lot to me.

I've heard both side by side, the WTA is more lucid and transparent, the Classic is punchier, better built and easier to upgrade.

threadkiller

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2012, 01:39 pm »
Then enjoy it.
The classic isn't a bad table at all, but as you say, it's punchier, which means it's colored in sound, and it, like the Linn, is a flavor I no longer prefer.
It also cannot retrieve music out of the grooves like a WTL can. Once I heard that, there was no going back.
Plus, as you say, it's built at a price point, with some perceived need to upgrade.
There's nothing to upgrade with a WTL, except your system.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2012, 04:01 pm »
I've heard both side by side, the WTA is more lucid and transparent, the Classic is punchier, better built and easier to upgrade.

That being said, why would anyone even consider the classic?

Shakey

vortrex

« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2012, 04:41 pm »
do you actually see printing on the golf ball like "top flite" or whatever?  I looked at the manual and the setup pics show it.  I was thinking they at least used something generic.

mick wolfe

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2012, 05:14 pm »
do you actually see printing on the golf ball like "top flite" or whatever?  I looked at the manual and the setup pics show it.  I was thinking they at least used something generic.

No.

threadkiller

« Reply #33 on: 2 May 2012, 06:09 pm »
It is plain...

mick wolfe

« Reply #34 on: 2 May 2012, 10:21 pm »
Then enjoy it.
The classic isn't a bad table at all, but as you say, it's punchier, which means it's colored in sound, and it, like the Linn, is a flavor I no longer prefer.
It also cannot retrieve music out of the grooves like a WTL can. Once I heard that, there was no going back.
Plus, as you say, it's built at a price point, with some perceived need to upgrade.
There's nothing to upgrade with a WTL, except your system.

Boy that pretty much says it all. I can think of only 3 ways to improve the Amadeus. A better cartridge, perhaps a different mat ( OK, maybe an isolation base of some sort) and the optional power supply. All the homework and research has been done and this is the finished product. VPI, on the other hand has created what I'm sure is a profitable upgrade path for just about every turntable they've ever produced. Years ago I had a VPI HW 19/ ET II. I could literally have spent thousands of dollars on VPI upgrades for this thing. Let's see.....SAMA stand alone motor, Mk.4 platter, stainless steel outer ring and on and on. Bottom line....I'm sure this is a big part of their marketing stategy. BTW, this rig was totally outclassed in the end by a humble Nottingham Interspace/ Spacearm set-up. The Classic was introduced as a $3000 turntable and now the "new" Classic is $6000. Could there possibly be an upgrade path from the $3000 table to the $6000 version? 

code4246

« Reply #35 on: 3 May 2012, 02:51 am »
Punchier doesn't necessarily mean more coloured, in this context it simply means it has reproduces dynamic contrasts better than the WTA.

:lol:

The original $3000 VPI Classic is still available.

The $6000 one is a new model.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/series-classic.htm

threadkiller

« Reply #36 on: 3 May 2012, 03:11 am »
Totally totally disagree on that, code.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it seems like you're looking for something that is lacking in the rest of the system you heard it in.
Like when I listen with guys who turn the loudness button on at a high level, or people who turn up their subs too high into the mix.
Like I said, if you prefer that type of sound that's fine, doesn't mean it's right or for us that chose a WTL. 
I, too, had a VPI once, extremely happy I no longer do!

threadkiller

« Reply #37 on: 3 May 2012, 03:13 am »
Also, forgot to ask, sorry, but what is your point?
Do you have both an Amadeus and a VPI classic?
If only the latter, why are you on here?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #38 on: 3 May 2012, 11:08 am »
Dynamic contrasts are one of the things my Amadeus does better than any table I have heard. And it's not just the difference between soft and loud, but between loud and louder. The dynamic shadings are more pronounced and you can hear the gradations as they increase.

I have never heard any VPI do that.

Shakey

code4246

« Reply #39 on: 3 May 2012, 11:59 pm »
Nothing wrong with the system I heard the tables in (ARC, Avalon).

Ex- Amadeus, VPI Aries owner.

Here to persuade the OP to keep his VPI

:lol:

To use a car anthology;

Amadeus = Porsche 911 GT3

VPI Classic = 911 Turbo.

Both Amadeus and VPI Classic have similar back-to-basics design philosophies.

Both are good.