What about that Kentucky Derby?

ctviggen

What about that Kentucky Derby?
« on: 5 May 2019, 10:47 pm »
Recorded the Kentucky Derby, watched the 3+ hour show on fast forward with my daughter to show her the race.  Saw the winner, turned it off.  Checked phone...Found out the winner had been disqualified!  Yikes!

When my wife and other daughter got home, I showed them the race, then we watched the analysis at the end.  It did seem like the original winner went too far out into other lanes, then crossed back to inside lane again.  I'm still shocked, though.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: What about that Kentucky Derby?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2019, 11:33 pm »
Between the weather, and the fact the horse was spooked by the idiots yelling and screaming in the infield... I think it should have 'stood'. And not changed. The penalty was too harsh for what happed. Considering...
IMO they may have done it just to let the bookies get the shaft? 65 to 1 odds..

CSI

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2019, 02:40 am »
Horse racing is a sport that is losing public support at an alarming rate. Reasons include heightened sensitivity to animal cruelty, alternative forms of gambling, etc. Fiascos like this year's Derby, though perhaps unavoidable, turn off thousands of part time fans, including me. I will not bother watching this annual ritual next year. I suspect that in a few decades high profile horse racing will cease to exist.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2019, 04:04 am »
Great race and a tough takedown for the stewards. The Sport of Champions!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233480/kentucky-oaks-day-sets-all-time-wagering-record

On-track attendance was among a number of records shattered at Keeneland on Toyota Blue Grass Day. Single-day all-sources handle for the 11-race card totaled $25,809,200, eclipsing the previous record of $22,634,861 set last year on Toyota Blue Grass Day. The All-Stakes Pick Five handled $1,079,197, well above the former record of $899,196 set on the same day in 2018. The single-race exacta pool totaled a record $1,300,591, and the single-race win-place-show pool was a record $2,068,406. The daily double pool that day was a record $249,934.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233316/keeneland-spring-meet-closes-with-strong-statistics

http://www.gulfstreampark.com/RACING/news-details/2018/01/28/gulfstream-sets-record-handle-on-pegasus-world-cup-day

Advance To Go

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2019, 10:28 am »
What about all the horses that were knocking into each other as they came out of the gate ? They would have to disqualify half the field. Horses and drunks don't run/walk in a straight line. Can you imagine holding the winning ticket(s) then realizing you lost instead. Closers like Country House never or almost never win the triple crown. That also screws up any realistically possible drama this year on that.

goskers

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2019, 01:47 pm »
Maximum Security moved over 5 lanes. This would have been deemed an unsafe act during any other race and therefore disqualified. Look at the video proof available most anywhere showing the head on shot and tell me otherwise.  The rule is in place to protect both the horse and jockey.
Just because most become fans for one race during a year doesn’t mean that we are experts in the rules. This was a tough call to make because of the size of the stage. I think the disqualification would have been the call in any other standard race a very high percentage of the time. Upholding the rules when it really counts means a lot to me. It is much easier to waiver in times of pressure knowing the general public will be outraged.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2019, 02:15 pm »
Maximum Security moved over 5 lanes. This would have been deemed an unsafe act during any other race and therefore disqualified. Look at the video proof available most anywhere showing the head on shot and tell me otherwise.  The rule is in place to protect both the horse and jockey.
Just because most become fans for one race during a year doesn’t mean that we are experts in the rules. This was a tough call to make because of the size of the stage. I think the disqualification would have been the call in any other standard race a very high percentage of the time. Upholding the rules when it really counts means a lot to me. It is much easier to waiver in times of pressure knowing the general public will be outraged.

+1

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2019, 02:16 pm »
The people making calls at the top of any sport are experienced and knowledgeable- much more so than the rubes here or from the Twitterverse.  I don't get not accepting their call. 

smargo

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2019, 02:37 pm »

your completely right on in one sense - and in "no mans land in the other" the horse that was really interfered with "game winner" didnt even file an objection - go figure

goskers

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2019, 02:44 pm »
your completely right on in one sense - and in "no mans land in the other" the horse that was really interfered with "game winner" didnt even file an objection - go figure

True but this is the responsibility of the jockey if I’m not mistaken.

fredgarvin

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2019, 02:53 pm »
It could easily have gone the other way, because it probably didn't affect the finish. I watch a lot of racing all year long and see a lot of objections. It's a judgement call and that's how the ball bounces in racing.

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2019, 03:01 pm »
True but this is the responsibility of the jockey if I’m not mistaken.

Stewards can also file objections, and yes, Game Winner was impeded at the start and showed a lot of heart getting up from last place. Races like this often have a lot of bumping at the start and you don't see many objections.