Tube amp for NX-Otica

Glady86

Tube amp for NX-Otica
« on: 1 Feb 2024, 04:05 pm »
 I bought a PrimaLuna Prologue 5 to try with my NX-Oticas. I’ve had the same amps for I think 20 years, Odyssey mono. I got the itch to try something different. I did at one time own a pair of Arteforma 805 tube amps. I used those with a pair of Vapor Audio speakers, though I liked the sound I eventually sold them and kept the Odyssey amps. Anyway, I hope to receive the amp on Saturday.

Anyone try PrimaLuna amps, and what are some recommended budget friendly tube amps I could look into trying?

Also, I’m guessing I should use the 8 ohm outputs?

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2024, 05:40 pm by Glady86 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Tube amp for NX-Otica
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2024, 07:29 pm »
I used a PrimaLuna Prologue 4 with my Otica hybrid speakers. I wasn’t impressed with the stock tubes. On a recommendation I replaced the stock tubes with Telefunkin 12AX7s, CFTE 12AU7s, and Svetlana Winged C EL34s. These tubes changed the entire character of the amp giving it the clarity and definition of my SS amp with the fullness and warmth of tubes.

Glady86

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2024, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the comment,

These have the stock tubes included with one pair of upgraded input tubes, though I don’t know which type he included. I read Genalex Gold lion for output are good, then I think the originals are Genalex, but maybe a lower grade? I may have a pair of Tele 12Ax7 here to try. I used those in a phono preamp.

BGA

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:04 pm »
I've used an Elect 8800 and a Wilsenton R8 and found the power types most pleasing for my taste were the Goldlion KT77. In my room they provided a nice soundstage and a little warmth.

No experience in the Primaluna gear though. Just some thoughts.

Glady86

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2024, 09:28 pm »
I've used an Elect 8800 and a Wilsenton R8 and found the power types most pleasing for my taste were the Goldlion KT77. In my room they provided a nice soundstage and a little warmth.

No experience in the Primaluna gear though. Just some thoughts.

I almost bought an Elect amp kit, I read a good option for high quality sound for reasonable price. But got the PrimaLuna instead, mainly cause it looks well made, point to point wiring, plenty of power and easy to tube roll. Though I’m not sure it will beat out my Odyssey amps. The Arteforma 805 didn’t plus those things were like having two space heaters in the room. I guess it’s a matter of personal preference for sound quality.

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2024, 11:21 am »
Quick Silver 8417 mono blocks (most are EL34 modded)
If you are looking bang for your buck, you can get these old monoblocks for under 1500$. Put some decent tubes on them and they provide a warm, rich sound with good detail, huge sound stage and excellent dynamics. I have swapped them with a few amps in the 2-3k range to compare and dissapointment is the only thing that comes to mind anytime I tried something else. I can't imagine how these would be under 8k if they were new.

Glady86

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2024, 01:08 am »
Quick Silver 8417 mono blocks (most are EL34 modded)
If you are looking bang for your buck, you can get these old monoblocks for under 1500$. Put some decent tubes on them and they provide a warm, rich sound with good detail, huge sound stage and excellent dynamics. I have swapped them with a few amps in the 2-3k range to compare and dissapointment is the only thing that comes to mind anytime I tried something else. I can't imagine how these would be under 8k if they were new.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I got some of  that quality with the Primaluna.

Here’s my impression so far of the PrimaLuna with stock tubes. At first I could tell it sounded a bit colored in the midrange and subdued treble. It exaggerated the shortcomings of some music that I thought was recorded too bright to begin with. Though the bass and dynamics surprised me, very good. Also the amp is very quiet, almost as quiet as any solid state amp I’ve owned.

Played it nearly all day and the sound improved quite a bit. Soundstage, dynamics and getting some of that tube magic imaging? Is that what you call it? Definitely like how it portrays vocals better than the Odyssey amps. I think changing out the drivers tubes will fix any shortcomings I hear. I’ll try that for sure.

Glady86

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2024, 05:40 pm »
 I did some minor speaker positioning adjustments and with more play time I am very pleasantly surprised with overall sound quality of the PrimaLuna with NX-Otica’s.

Though PrimaLuna makes more expensive amplifiers (more than I’d ever pay for amplifiers) I think the Prologue 5 or some of the lower cost models you can find used, are a good choice for anyone wanting to experience impressive tube amp sound without spending a lot. So, I’m happy with it and it’s staying. Also, though it would probably hurt resale value, it would be very easy to upgrade some of the guts with better parts. I might try some mods at some point since I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

Glady86

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2024, 07:15 pm »
Replaced the 12au7 driver tubes with Pinnacle 13D5A and added Herbies damping rings to the Prima 12ax7 stock tubes. Really tamed the midrange and extended the highs some. Pretty much improved the sound across the board. The only “problem” I see here, is I don’t know when I’ll stop tweaking and trying to improve it. Anyway, I see why some prefer tubes, though my SS amps are pretty dam good also with the NXOticas:

Glady86

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2024, 08:10 pm »
So I wrote in another thread my most recent experience with this “entry level” PrimaLuna amp, but thought I’d update this thread in case anyone was following. I upgraded the original 12ax7 tubes with GE 5751 and the power tubes with Gold Lion KT88. Together with the first change I made, a Pinnacle 13D5A in place of the stock 12au7, it completely transformed the sound quality from what’s all the fuss I read about in reviews, to okay I get it Now!

To sum up my impression of the amp. Details I’ve never before heard in recordings, better separation of instruments, definition of vocals, shimmering of cymbals, punchy lively bass, and unexpected great dynamics.

The only things I think the Odyssey amps are better at or the PrimaLuna slight weaknesses (if you want to call it that) I believe the PL amp may add a slight bit of coloration to the sound and though I like the bass qualities, not as controlled. Though I don’t know if more hours on the tubes will change anything, but will report back if I can hear it.

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2024, 11:49 pm by Glady86 »