Tanzanite w/ Sub

aboroth00

Tanzanite w/ Sub
« on: 20 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm »
Hello there,

New tanzanite owner here.  I purchased a pair of sealed tanzanites second hand and i'm planning to use them with a sub.  I was wondering if any other Selah owners out there are currently using their bookshelves with subs and how they are implementing that in their setup!

Marbles

Re: Tanzanite w/ Sub
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2012, 01:45 pm »
I have a pair of regular Tanzanites as rear surrounds and a pair of custom in-wall Tanzanites as side surrounds in my main HT.  I use 4 sealed Dymaxion (Thanks Christof) GR Research/Rythmik servo subs.

Front speakers are Salk HT3's, with an HTC center.

This is one dymaxion sub:

aboroth00

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2012, 07:21 pm »
I was talking about a strictly 2-channel setup.  But those subs look absolutely fabulous!

I also have reservations about using the tanzanites in a HT setup due to their low sensitivity.  At 84db/1watt/1m, they seem rather inefficient for HT applications.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2012, 01:33 am »
I was talking about a strictly 2-channel setup.  But those subs look absolutely fabulous!

I also have reservations about using the tanzanites in a HT setup due to their low sensitivity.  At 84db/1watt/1m, they seem rather inefficient for HT applications.

For 2-channel you can let them roll off naturally to the subwoofer (60hz) or add an active high pass filter (60-80hz).

HT is possible depending on how far you sit from them and what levels you need. Keep in mind that the sensitivity is conservatively rated.

LadyDog

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2012, 02:35 am »
I use Tanzantes in the HT environment with no issues.

Beautiful sub Rob.  Chris makes some beautiful things.  Hope all is well with you. 

aboroth00

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2012, 09:36 pm »
For 2-channel you can let them roll off naturally to the subwoofer (60hz) or add an active high pass filter (60-80hz).

HT is possible depending on how far you sit from them and what levels you need. Keep in mind that the sensitivity is conservatively rated.

Thanks for chiming in Rick.  Personally for my application, the size of my room, and the levels i listen at.  The tanzanites probably wouldn't cut it.  But that's no knock on them, I just much prefer them for music. 

What would you do in this application?  I would think cutting them off with a HP filter would be preferable preventing lower frequencies from being played through the bookshelves, thus reducing distortion, and increasing headroom. 

Any suggestions on a high pass?  Or should I have a passive highpass custom made?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:52 am »
Thanks for chiming in Rick.  Personally for my application, the size of my room, and the levels i listen at.  The tanzanites probably wouldn't cut it.  But that's no knock on them, I just much prefer them for music. 

What would you do in this application?  I would think cutting them off with a HP filter would be preferable preventing lower frequencies from being played through the bookshelves, thus reducing distortion, and increasing headroom. 

Any suggestions on a high pass?  Or should I have a passive highpass custom made?

An active highpass is best.

aboroth00

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:43 pm »
Any recommendations on a quality high pass?  I'm in need of a LP and HP with subwoofer controls (phase, volume). 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm »
Any recommendations on a quality high pass?  I'm in need of a LP and HP with subwoofer controls (phase, volume).

The DEQX HD Express.

aboroth00

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:18 pm »
Holy Moly that's expensive.  I was thinking along the lines of something much less expensive <500$.  Thoughts on the SMS-1, Minidsp, NHT x2, Paradigm X30?  Marchand stuff?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:46 pm »
Holy Moly that's expensive.  I was thinking along the lines of something much less expensive <500$.  Thoughts on the SMS-1, Minidsp, NHT x2, Paradigm X30?  Marchand stuff?

I've used the X30 and it would work great.