Horizontal Ribbons

aevans

Horizontal Ribbons
« on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm »
The biggest gripe I have about ribbons is the vertical dispertion, they have a definate sweet spot that because of my limited floor space leaves me hunting in my seat to keep tone that I like. Any chance that adding a horizontal ribbon would cure this, or is it wishful thinking?

I figured if anyone knew it would be Rick, any information on a set up with a horizontal and vertical ribbon?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Horizontal Ribbons
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:37 pm »
The biggest gripe I have about ribbons is the vertical dispertion, they have a definate sweet spot that because of my limited floor space leaves me hunting in my seat to keep tone that I like. Any chance that adding a horizontal ribbon would cure this, or is it wishful thinking?

I figured if anyone knew it would be Rick, any information on a set up with a horizontal and vertical ribbon?

Are you using the foam pads for the RAAL ribbons?

aevans

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:59 pm »
I tried them out once, but that was a while back. I guess i need to revisit them.

I'm sitting about 5-7 feet away from the speakers depending on how far I place them to the wall. I'm not sure how much the foam is really going to help. I'll let you know what I find out.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:08 pm »
I tried them out once, but that was a while back. I guess i need to revisit them.

I'm sitting about 5-7 feet away from the speakers depending on how far I place them to the wall. I'm not sure how much the foam is really going to help. I'll let you know what I find out.

The 140-15D is designed to work best with the foam caps. They shorten the effective length of the ribbon for smother vertical coverage. The DEQX measurements should be made with the caps in place.

aevans

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:01 pm »
Any recommendation for how many "teeth" are supposed to be covered by the caps?

Only concern I have with the foam is that they don't fit well with the grills in place, so I usually need to take them off each time I get done listening. I guess I could leave them in place, just looks a little funny and kind of stretches the grill cloth.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2011, 01:20 am »
Any recommendation for how many "teeth" are supposed to be covered by the caps?

Only concern I have with the foam is that they don't fit well with the grills in place, so I usually need to take them off each time I get done listening. I guess I could leave them in place, just looks a little funny and kind of stretches the grill cloth.

Ten teeth between them.

aevans

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
OK, wow.. that fixed all my issues.

I guess can cancel that larger living room I was planing on.

Thanks for the help with this, I need to go back in and tweak the sounds with the DEQX. The top end is noticably tweaked down, but my current deqx setup has the top end brought down 2-3db anyway, so I'll try running it flat and working my way back through it.

The imaging is actually working now, and I can jump up and down on the couch, stand up and just about lay flat on the ground before the tone changes now. This is a huge step up. I guess I should have read the manual or brought it up, but I had the same kind of issues with other ribbons and the previous owner said he never bothered with the foam caps either. I could see that sitting a good 12-16 foot away there would probably be no need for them, but in my tight space 12.5x16 foot set up on the long wall these are required and work great.

Thanks again for your help