The Place between Jazz and the Blues

DavidS

The Place between Jazz and the Blues
« on: 19 Feb 2014, 07:48 pm »
Yesterday was spinning a new copy of Billie Holliday's Songs for Distingue Lovers and then this morning a live set by Big Momma Thornton that I rescued out of the bargain bin.  It seems there was a time when jazz artists sang the blues and blues artists did jazz.  Another album I have that works in this direction is Ruth Brown who on this record is a little blues, a little Ella, and a little R&B pop.  And more modern day Eva Cassidy comes to mind.  Who else is working this turf - both the 30 to 60's but also modern day? 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: The Place between Jazz and the Blues
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:35 pm »
What's your definition of the Blues? Because as far as I know, Lady Day rarely sang them. A sad song does not the Blues make.

Doc

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm »
I MUST find my copy of I Smell a Rat by Willie Mae Thornton.  My, how she sings that!  I found it!  Got Hound Dog on there, too.  On Backbeat Records from Houston, TX.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm »
I often struggle to categorize jazz vs. blues recordings, but these two (from my collection) are sure to satisfy your requirement ...

For female vocals, this combo release, Burnin / Confessin the Blues:

And for male vocals, Jimmy Witherspoon - The Spoon Concerts:

DavidS

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:55 am »
Spoon I know but need to explore more, Esther Phillips I know the name but don't think I have ever heard her - in fact would have guessed she was a white 60's country star.  Will go looking at the record store for her. 

On definition of the blues - think this was the point I was making - there seems like a time maybe 30's to 60's where the lines were blurred between what was blues, jazz and even pop music.  I like the music that happens when these collide like Big Mama Thornton singing Stormy Weather.

That said I would probably like Lady Day and even Ella more if there was more blues in their recordings - maybe why I like Madeleine Peyroux so much.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:53 am »
Here's an Ella recording of particular merit in this discussion . . Clap Hands!  Here Comes Charlie (Verve).

pjnad

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:58 am »
Check out Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers...you can find her discs on Amazon. I think she manages to hit that spot you are looking for; she's kind of like a modern Bessie Smith.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:42 pm »
Thought of a couple more from my stash ...

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:46 pm »
And this one too ...

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:50 pm »
Also, to my ear, many Hammond B-3 releases as well straddle the jazz/blues line, particularly the Acid Blues series of albums.
For example:

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:55 pm »
Although, except for Esther Phillips (best example I've posted here), none of the others dive into the style of the 30's, and most not even the 40's. So my appologies if these really are not what you meant.

What about these though? These dive even into the 20's and still mix jazz/blues/pop ...

Devil Doc

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2014, 02:40 pm »
No blur here. I IV V, AABA, and flatted 3rds plus some variations. Hunter, Spivey and Hegamin came out of retirement, and in their seventies to make this recording in the mid sixties. All the tunes are from the thirties, I believe. It's still available on CD.

Doc

DavidS

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:07 pm »
Alberta Hunter - yes this one is what I am looking for more of.  Will have to find this one - don't know Lucille Hegamin - more research required.

first lady of Canadian jazz is Molly Johnson who has a little of this going on - part Billie Holliday but also a foot in blues and r&b.  Not sure if non-Canucks have heard Molly.

finally Mose Allison - have a bunch of his but don't play them much - always figured he was place between jazz and folk.  will have to spin some today.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:27 pm »
Here's an Ella recording of particular merit in this discussion . . Clap Hands!  Here Comes Charlie (Verve).
Here's another couple not to be missed.  I mean seriously, seriously:

ZLS

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:54 pm »
    Possibly the only Blues Billie Holiday ever sung; Fine and Mellow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJQiqTZfakQ

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:57 pm »
Here's another couple not to be missed.  I mean seriously, seriously:

That Shirley Horn CD gets mucho play in my system. Usually I try to stick to live performances however this studio gig was done very well. Gotta check out the other one.

charles

Devil Doc

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2014, 05:43 pm »
Quote from ZLS

This is a very famous recording and video. Hawkins and Lady Day were once lovers. Watch the interaction between the two, especially during Hawk's solos.

Doc
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2014, 06:55 pm by Devil Doc »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:37 pm »

Another good example woud be Abbey Lincoln's Abbey is Blue, on Riverside. There's a lot of blues in AL's music and that's especially true for Abbey is Blue. Great band, great set. Listen to Let Up at the link below.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/abbey-is-blue-mw0000649616

Kp

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:41 pm »

Great post, Z.  Wish you would post more often.

ZLS

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2014, 03:46 am »
    Why, thank you sir.

An example of where Jazz and the Blues meet is,

Count Basie and Joe Turner; The Bosses

http://www.amazon.com/Bosses-Basie/dp/B000000Z0E/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392954268&sr=1-3&keywords=count+basie+and+Joe+Turner