Floor Standing Speakers for Low-Wattage Systems

moofoo

Floor Standing Speakers for Low-Wattage Systems
« on: 12 Dec 2023, 02:27 pm »
Going to commit to a low-wattage systems but I have no experience with such. I am honing in on a 15 watt amp (rated at 15), but need suggestions for floor standing, high efficiency speakers. Thank you for your time. I do appreciate it! - Louie

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: Floor Standing Speakers for Low-Wattage Systems
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2023, 07:52 pm »
many models of Klipsch, and my Spatial M3s run well on 13 watts. 

PS the sensitivity ratings of speakers are not always a great way to tell how they will actually peroform with a particular amp

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2023, 08:21 pm »
Ops, consider any hi sensitivity speaker.
Hard tô beat Klipsch for the price (monitors).
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2023, 03:12 pm by FullRangeMan »

JMW73

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2023, 11:42 pm »
I'm running Klipsch RP-600 M (bookshelves) on ACA monos (15 watts) and it sounds very good.  I'm sure you could find something in that range.

I'd look seriously at Tekton. 

I really looked hard at Zu Audio as well.

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2023, 02:08 am »
Omega Speaker Systems.  Really nice sounding speakers and an easy match with your amp.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2023, 01:57 pm »
Why a floor standing speaker? 

20 years ago I ended my search for "full range" high efficiency speakers (couldn't find one I liked) so I settled for a 90 dB/w/m Fostex F200a driven transmission line (the driver when last available was $579 each) and drove them with 40 watt mono-blocks. 

Now I've gone over to active designs.  My Buchardt A500SE monitors use (4) 150 watt mono-blocks and are rated 25-40,000 Hz +/- 1.5 dB with lots of features (wireless, room EQ, "Master Tunings").  The whole setup uses just 3 power cords for streaming. 

ric

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2023, 02:39 pm »
A lot depends on budget. Speakers are (arguably) the most prominent aspect of sound quality, so if you plan to listen to a lot of music, spend the most you can afford.
I prefer to buy used--more bang for the buck.
There are a ton of speakers in whatever price range you have. Room size, listening preferences, (jazz, classical) do you prefer an accurate vs bass heavy type of sound or is a warm full mid range all that you need?
Keep in mind that the room will dictate what you hear, and that proper speaker position coupled with proper listener position is paramount.
Lastly, how good are your ears? If you can discern cable changes, etc., then the challenge is when you get everything set up, is anything missing.
Good luck!

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:51 pm »
Like Ric has noted, better define your room size, listening priorities, current system, budget, etc. Is your 15 watt amp tube or solid state for instance? I've mentioned these choices in a previous thread, but once again it's hard not to mention the Tekton Lore, Zu DW6, Klipsch Heresy 4 and Clayton Shaw's Caladan. Above those price points the choices are boundless.....Klipsch Forte 4, Cornwall 4, Volti Razz, various Spatial's, Pure Audio Project. But now we're creeping over the $7K plateau, so I'll stop.

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:54 pm »
Running my 96+dB sensitive speakers (Pure Audio Project Trio15 Horn1) in my medium-sized room on 4.3 watts of wonderful 2A3 tube power:

(Those are open baffle 15" woofers straddling those gorgeous wood horns.)

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2023, 05:54 pm »
Hi Louie I’m not sure of your budget or room size but Charney Audio could be what you’re looking for. Fullrange single driver high efficiency horns designed on the tractrix theory. I have a pair of Companions driven by 8w 300b amps and couldn’t be happier!
Chris

http://charneyaudio.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2023, 06:13 pm »
With $90,000 I would buy a new house.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2023, 06:27 pm »
With $90,000 I would buy a new house.

I'm gonna pack my things and become your neighbor if you can buy a new house for a meager $90,000. In America, the average home price is $430,000. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2023, 06:52 pm »
Yes, house not apto, last year I paid $10 or 15 property tax for full year.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2023, 12:38 am »
These are high efficiency, and have a servo controlled, powered bass section so your main amp only has to drive the mids/highs -

Jarbs

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2023, 02:26 am »
Daedalus work well in that power range. I’ve used a couple different 20 watt amps with mine. Currently using an Aric Audio 300b SET @ 9 watts to good effect in a large room. Low damping ratio amps are fine, like flea watt SET. 96 db 6 ohm.

Tobian Sound are a good two-way horn type in a box option. Swiss and expensive. 99 db 8 ohm.