Nuforce Reference 20 Mono Amp Review

mitch2

Re: Nuforce Reference 20 Mono Amp Review
« Reply #20 on: 6 Oct 2014, 03:49 am »
The Atsah's sounded very nice in my system and they are constructed using the same NC1200 module and same power supply as the Merrill Veritas amps that you auditioned.

What did you like better about the sound of your modified Nuforce Ref 9 V3SE's and the Ref 20's, compared to the Merrill Veritas?

Also, did any of the amps you auditioned use the Pascal S-PRO2 modules like those used in the new AluminatiSound X2's?

I remain interested in Class D and especially anything under $10K that can compete with with the sound quality of amps based on the Ncore NC1200 module.

gammajo

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2014, 01:37 pm »
It is hard to answer partly because it has been awhile and they were close in many ways. The Veritas is a great amp and the designer a great person who is passionate about music, and meticulous in his design. Consequently, Veritas is very clean, ultra quiet and dynamic and would be a revelation to many who have dismissed Class D.

Amps are system and room dependent. That said for me the Nuforce which uses a proprietary analogue way of doing Class D sounds better to me on many dimensions - I think they are more liquid and natural sounding and I use live music as my reference, and for me they sound better on transients, decays, micro detail and macro dynamics and are also ultra clean and quiet. And with the Ref 20 they are better on sound stage (bloom, depth and width). I have not heard any Pascal S-PRO2 modules based amps.

mv

« Reply #22 on: 6 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm »
Has anyone looked at the NAD M22?
How would that compare with the Reference-20's?

mv

« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2014, 02:02 am »
gammajo,

Did you use any hi-res music for your comparisons of amps (and with what source),
or just regular CDs?

gammajo

« Reply #24 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:24 am »
Just the best recorded regular CDs and HDCDs

mv

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:09 am »
So, you were thinking of buying subwoofers for $18K, but you do not have a player for high-res music and a corresponding DAC?

gammajo

« Reply #26 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:29 pm »
Yup! I have heard several very fine high res systems and still do not like their sound compared to high quality stuff  for Red Book. So far the high res that I have listened to is very clear but missing a liqudity and organicity that to me is more like live music. I also work on computers all day and do not want that vibe in my listening room (for me computers are more left brain and music right brain). Finally there is much less material available on high res. I know this is subject to passionate debate, but I do know several people besides myself with great ears who have gone back from high res to Red Book. I imagine that here will be a time in the future when I revisit this after the high res market matures. In fact Red Book, through products like Berkley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference are still showing that advances are possible with Red book if Robert Harley can be believed. .

gammajo

« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:59 pm »
P.S. I forgot to mention that I live in a rural area with about 2mps speeds so it can take what seems like a year to download a high res album. and if the connection breaks (which often happens) I get to start over.

mv

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm »
I have the previous model of Berkeley Audio, the Alpha DAC II, and it is really excellent. And I also work on computers for my living, but you can use a specialized digital player, e.g., those made by Bryston, for a higher quality playback than a computer, and to avoid interacting with a computer.
You should definitely explore.