Tang Band 1808s over Alpha H frames

Poultrygeist

Tang Band 1808s over Alpha H frames
« on: 1 Jul 2011, 01:17 am »
I want to thank you guys and MJK for your knowledge and inspiration without which I would not have been able to build these OB's. They are everything I hoped they would be.

studiotech

Re: Tang Band 1808s over Alpha H frames
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2011, 02:10 am »
Details?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm »

The 8 inch Tang Bands are in their own separate T shaped OB which just rest atop the H Frames. They are driven by a Miniwatt SET of 2.5 watts, while each 15 inch Eminence Alphas H frame is powered by a Dayton APA-150 amp with built in crossover. A crossover setting of 80 db sounds about right. The signal from an Integra player is feed to the amps via an Aric preamp. 

In building the H frames and the Tang Band baffles I used a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig to make very strong right angle joints. It's by far the easiest and most fool proof way of joining two pieces of plywood together. If you've never seen a Kreg Jig in action they are several demos on Youtube. Best $90 I've ever spent.

I used inexpensive 3/4 plywood which can be had for $26 at Home Depot for a 4X8 sheet. It doesn't stain so well hence the painted surface and black molding trim.

I've had the Tang Bands in those folding wing OB's as shown in the background ( first pic ) but as you might expect they were bass shy. The H frames OTOH give great realistic bass and sound nothing like a plodding sub.

The H frames are quite versatile and I use them to add musical bass not only to the TB's but to a pair of Mk3 Frugal Horns as well as some small Tekton full range speakers.

Open Baffle speakers are often criticized for lack of a low end but the H frames offer an outstanding solution. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:34 pm »
4.5 Fostex Tektons atop the OB H frames.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm »
Mk3 Frugal Horns and OB H frames

brian t

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2011, 04:57 pm »
nice build, that tangband driver is the most revealing driver i have used and what surprised me was it does not need any help from a tweeter.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:06 pm »
The Tang Bands are exceptional. I once considered an enclosure but from what I've read it's higher Qts would call for a giant cabinet.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:06 pm »
If you send me a picture of the Tang Band OB and Alpha 15A H frame, your name, and an e-mail address so interested people can ask questions directly, I would love to add your speakers to my gallery. Totally up to you, some additional exposure for a really nice looking dipole speaker design.

Martin

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2011, 08:00 am »
Nice work, great to see an application of the MJK approach like this  :thumb:

The TBs doubled in price recently :(

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2011, 11:12 am »
Truth be known my woodworking skills are severely limited. Home Depot made all the cuts for the H frames and the Tang Band OB's. I joined all the sides using a Kreg pocket hole kit as shown in the video below. You can even buy wood plugs to fill the pocket holes which I haven't gotten around to yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWI6QppYBFE

scorpion

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2011, 02:41 pm »
Neodymium prices has doubled. People think that Alnico will come back !  :)

/Erling

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2011, 02:43 pm »
I can't see how that justifies the increase. There's still all the rest of the materials, forming, assembly, shipping, etc etc etc. Anyway the market will tell. Bet the price drops again in a few months.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2011, 06:38 pm »
I tried my friend's gimmicky OB's on the H frames thinking they might embarrass my home spun Tang Band OB's - not! The TB's sounded much fuller and more refined.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2011, 09:28 pm »
Neodymium prices has doubled.

It has gone up much more than that.

dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:43 pm »
If I decide to add a tweeter to the Tang Bands for that extra sparkle does anyone have recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2011, 08:21 pm »
jp, you may pick up some mechanical efficiency with that great looking design but 2.5 watts from my SET is plenty for the 1808's in OB. Post some pictures and impressions when you get them up and running.

The 1808 is just one heck of a driver and I hate that the price doubled as it will keep many from giving them a try.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2011, 08:25 pm »
For those who would like to see the entire drawing with notes, credits, etc

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Half-Chang-map-170608.pdf

We interesting your take on how this works. On paper the 1808 needs quite a bit bigger box.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm »
Dave. Im alittle worried now...

You always need to be worrying a bit when you are the 1st one to install an unspecified driver ito a box fairly finely tuned for a driver that is quite different.

Your adventure will yield an important piece of data thou.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm »
The new FF225wk is pretty close to a drop-in.

dave