First build with Visaton B200 and Alpha15A

sjalloq

First build with Visaton B200 and Alpha15A
« on: 9 May 2012, 03:55 pm »
Hi there,

noob here!  Just wanted to say hi and get some advice for my first build.  I've been reading the DarkStar thread and bought my B200's at page 3.   :icon_lol:  I've now bought a pair of 15A's for the low end and am going to try and build my first pair of speakers this weekend.  As such I'm looking for some build advice.

I want to try something simple first so that I don't have to worry about my woodworking skills so I'm planning on perhaps two builds: 1, the piano hinged folded baffle with B200 only; and 2, something similar to the Visaton NoBox.  I actually have quite a narrow room at 3m so my ultimate plan might be to do something of the Orion size (13" wide) but I wanted to keep it simple to begin with.

As for electronics I have a MiniDSP on order and I have a pair of NuForce Ref 9's for the 15A's and a Linn LK85 for the B200's.  I assumed that was the better division due to the power and damping factor of the Ref 9's.  Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions to the NoBox design?  Or perhaps alterations on baffle width?  I'd like to keep the build simple for now so may just drop to a single verticle baffle with some square wings.

Finally, I've seen lots of references to The EDGE which was a baffle loss calculator.  This seems to have disappeared - has it just moved somewhere I can't find it or did the owner discontinue support?

Thanks, Shareef.

Rudolf

Re: First build with Visaton B200 and Alpha15A
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
Finally, I've seen lots of references to The EDGE which was a baffle loss calculator.  This seems to have disappeared ...

http://www.tolvan.com/edge/

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 01:18 am »
Sounds like you're on the right track. The Nobox looks pretty simple actually. You could make the baffle a bit narrower given that you have EQ, but with a 15" driver there's not a lot you can cut off.

sjalloq

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 11:56 am »
Rudolf - thanks.

John - good point.  The baffle width on the nobox is designed for a passive crossover and no EQ.  Perhaps I can try an 18" baffle and see how I get on.  I can more easily accomodate a baffle of those dimensions and had been looking at the BD Qasar as well.

Thanks.