AudioQuest Niagara 1000

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
AudioQuest Niagara 1000
« on: 11 Nov 2017, 09:15 pm »
A $1000 'outlet strip'?  Apparently it's much more...a six-outlet AC-power filter/surge suppressor with one of those six outlets being rated for hi-current amps. 
http://www.audioquest.com/niagara-1000/

The two reviews I found...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-15-audioquest-niagara-1000-hifiman-he1000-v2

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/07/audioquests-niagara-1000-what-the-hell-are-you-waiting-for/

...are highly positive.  Seems to me this 'long-tube' format would be a good way to get filtered power close to its using components, to which one could run very short powercords.

Any user opnions here?
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017, 04:23 am by jeffreybehr »

Randy

Re: AudioQuest Niagara 1000
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2017, 05:10 am »
I have one, but it doesn't do much for my system, but then neither have all of the other power conditioners I've tried. My AC gets bad in the evening hours after being top notch during daylight hours. Nobody can explain it. The power company says there should be no difference, but there is and has been for years and years.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2017, 05:32 am »
Probably gets bad in the evening due to people being home (presumably after getting off work) and using appliances, TV's, HVAC, etc. My AC is definitely worse in the summer months too (everyone using their air conditioners).

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2018, 05:33 pm »
anyone else have one or tried one?

Comments appreciated. Thanks

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2018, 07:38 pm »
I have one, but it doesn't do much for my system, but then neither have all of the other power conditioners I've tried. My AC gets bad in the evening hours after being top notch during daylight hours. Nobody can explain it. The power company says there should be no difference, but there is and has been for years and years.

If that's the case, have you made sure to use line/voltage regulators as well?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2018, 11:22 pm »
  Check out Gigawatt not a dealer of such. www.Gigawatt.eu/home/

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2018, 02:14 am »
See if you can still get on the IFI Ipurifier tour. Two of those solved my AC distortion problems. I had to wait till midnight before to get rid of the AC hash. 99 dollars each.

AndrewA

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2018, 03:44 pm »
I tried one and sent it back.  I couldn't really hear anything different.  Also its bulkiness and configuration didn't suit.

FWIW, I also tried one of the iFi's and that did nothing for me either.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2018, 06:44 pm »
I have not had experience with this unit but installed a Torus wall mount unit for my system.  They have a 240V input (or optional 120V) and output 120V portable unit depending on your system demands.  I use a smaller 6A unit for my TV to isolate it from the rest of the system.  http://www.toruspower.com/  This is not balanced power, which requires special building permits, and this non-balanced configuration is the most effective benefit for my system.  I had horrid power issues.  Computer switch power supplies being the worse!

I have used many other systems.  Audience Adept Response TSSD was the second most effective in filtering out stuff but not as good.

PM for more information on my system, if interested. 

bodhifile

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2018, 08:49 pm »
I got one of these recently, definitely helped my setup. After midnight always sounded better where I live as well. I also know for sure because my analog audio mix downs sounded clearer every time I ran down the exact same mix comparing day to night. A and B ing them, it was apparent. That issue is solved. Also have the iFi ipurifier ac, makes some difference as well on another outlet. Haven't done too much testing with it though.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:35 pm »
What you need is regenerative power conditioner, I was talking about what I use here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152774.0

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2018, 09:39 pm »
Hmm...this product just won the 'AC POWER CONDITIONER OF THE YEAR' award in 'The Absolute Sound' January issue.  Maybe it's better than we think.

divertiti

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2019, 05:13 pm »
I have this conditioner, and it's much more than a "power strip", just unfortunate that it's in that form factor so people make that comparison. With my amp and sources plugged into it, the system sounds a lot smoother and less grainy. I do live in an apartment complex, so might not be as beneficial if you live in rural area.

Digitalnomad

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2021, 05:48 pm »
It sounds like a great unit - just not sure how it compares to the competition from a price standpoint