Would it be worth upgrading from a BPT BP2 to a BP3.5 Sig?

Big Red Machine

I am bouncing around the idea of upgrading from my tricked out BP2 to a BP3.5 Sig unit with Z sleeve, ERS, Noise filter, and 20 amps of capacity versus my 7.5 amps.

Do you think it would be even quieter?  The review of the BP3.5 seemed to imply the full blown unit was the shiznit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Would it be worth upgrading from a BPT BP2 to a BP3.5 Sig?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm »
Great question!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm »
Pete,

If your system is close to drawing the 7.5 amps the BP2 is capable of handling, the BP3.5 might be quiter and more effective since the the transformer won't be close to saturation.

Personally, I prefered the higher end Furman products to BPT, but in fairness, I haven't tried BPT's latest and greatest.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:24 pm »
The Furman seems to have some features for surge and PF that the BPT does not.  I wonder what transformers Furman uses?  My BPT unit with the Plitron is dead quiet.

I have measured my amps at higher than normal volumes that they can draw up to 1.5 amps peak so if I am using 3 amps with the amplifiers that isn't too bad.  I may put the meter on the whole shebang and see what I measure.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:39 pm »
The Furman seems to have some features for surge and PF that the BPT does not.  I wonder what transformers Furman uses?  My BPT unit with the Plitron is dead quiet.

I have measured my amps at higher than normal volumes that they can draw up to 1.5 amps peak so if I am using 3 amps with the amplifiers that isn't too bad.  I may put the meter on the whole shebang and see what I measure.

Pete,

Not sure who makes the transformer (I didn't ask and have never looked inside), but it is dead quiet.  In fact, I thought it was quiter than the big BPT I used to own.  This is is with me using 10+ amps continously (the penalty for having big Class A Tube mono blocks).

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:19 pm »
Have either of you tried just the UberBuss without the Balanced power?  If so, can you explain the differences wtih and without?   :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:59 pm »
Never owned an Uber.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:02 pm »
Never owned an Uber.

I thought you had one...sorry.  Maybe you should try one.   :wink:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:43 pm »
Sent an email to BPT confirming my amperage rating.  I thought it to be 7.5 amps but am hoping it is higher.  I don't "feel" like any compression or limitation is happening right now.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:49 pm »
Sent an email to BPT confirming my amperage rating.  I thought it to be 7.5 amps but am hoping it is higher.  I don't "feel" like any compression or limitation is happening right now.

Seems like it's 15A.

In his introductory e-mail, Chris 'splained: "... The unit sent is our BP-2 Ultra Balanced Power Isolator in black ( brushed stainless steel case available at no extra charge). This is our 15 amp model representative of the current line-up, with 5 other models -- ranging from our 2.5 amp BP-Jr.II ($499) up to our flagship 20 -amp BP-3.5 model ($1699) -- available. There are a few other companies building balanced power conditioners. This begs the question what sets BPT apart. First and foremost, our units are designed for high dollar value. This means no bells or whistles on the outside, but the best quality parts available on the inside.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bpt/bp2.html

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:59 pm »
Seems like it's 15A.

In his introductory e-mail, Chris 'splained: "... The unit sent is our BP-2 Ultra Balanced Power Isolator in black ( brushed stainless steel case available at no extra charge). This is our 15 amp model representative of the current line-up, with 5 other models -- ranging from our 2.5 amp BP-Jr.II ($499) up to our flagship 20 -amp BP-3.5 model ($1699) -- available. There are a few other companies building balanced power conditioners. This begs the question what sets BPT apart. First and foremost, our units are designed for high dollar value. This means no bells or whistles on the outside, but the best quality parts available on the inside.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bpt/bp2.html

That's exactly what I have w/o the high current filter option.  Maybe I should stand pat and save the moula.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »
and another.

You're fine!

http://www.b-p-t.com/positive-feedback-on-the-bp-2.html

Yep.  Looks like I am sweating it for nothing.  Now what do I spend my money on?

oops!  Soundscapes!! :duh:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:03 pm »
Now what do I spend my money on?

Nothing or music!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2011, 08:34 pm »
Have either of you tried just the UberBuss without the Balanced power?  If so, can you explain the differences wtih and without?   :thumb:

I have tried the following:

1.  Everything (amps, speakers, preamp, digital front end) plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line
2.  Everything (amps, speakers, preamp, digital front end) plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, which is plugged into an UberBuss, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line
3.  Amps plugged into the wall and everything else plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, which is plugged into an UberBuss, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line
4.  Amps and speakers plugged into the UberBuss and everything else plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, with each plugged into the dedicated 20 amp line
5.  Preamp and digital front end plugged into the UberBuss and everything else plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, with each plugged into the dedicated 20 amp line

Option #2 (the combination of the UberBuss feeding the FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i) provided the lowest noise floor, best detail, widest soundstage (width and depth), and best overall sound.

George