1st Class Service From APC on the S15

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
1st Class Service From APC on the S15
« on: 9 Sep 2011, 04:10 am »
I was able to buy a clearance referb S15  from Vanns.com as  detailed in this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94624.0
for $239. The unit arrived in June but, its a looooong story, was not able to hook it up until 2 weeks ago. When I finally took it out of the box I noticed one of corners of the rear was bent. The 7 day return privilege on refubs had long since expired so I thought I was screwed. With nothing to lose I plugged the unit in and it ran through its initialization sequence and booted up without a hitch. Thinking I was home free I plugged a Bryston BDA-1, Toshiba SD6980 Universal Disc player, and Sharp 46" LCD TV in. The BDA-1 is hooked up using a Mojo Audio PC. The Mojo bettered the stock cord as well as a Shunyata Venom. The Wyred4Sound SX-500 monoblocks are plugged directly in the wall ( a new dedicated 20 amp line with cryoed 10 ga. romex into a quad box) using W4S PCs.  The sub is a AV123 Rocket Hot Rod using a Shunyata Venom PC direct into the quad.
      For a day and a half the system sounded better than it ever has, the S15 bettering a Belkin PurePower PF60. A layer of digital glare had been removed revealing more detail and less stridency.  Suddenly the unit switched off. The unit would keep running through the boot up then switching off. A call to APC tech support had me doing a hard reset that proved to be fruitless. I had since deleted my original invoice, so a call to Vanns had an email copy of it sent to APCs customer service. I was issued a RMA and received a shipping notice replacement unit on its way.
    The replacement is working flawlessly but when I took the bad S15 out and put the PF60 back in, I notice the LCD looked better. So now I have the PF60 into the quad and the S15 into the PF60.  I called back tech support about returning the bad unit and I was told to KEEP THE OLD BATTERY. This reduced the weight by 22lbs and now I have a spare battery. The cost to return VIA FedEx was $53.
        I cannot praise APC highly enough! This is truly a best case scenario to what could have been a very ugly situation.

vonnie123

Re: 1st Class Service From APC on the S15
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2011, 03:33 am »
Nice to know info on the APC service.  I bought one of those S15s from Vanns as well but dont remember them being refurbs, just clearanced.  I have a Belkin PF 60, 2 APC H15s, and an APC H10.  All are good products.  the thing to watch for on those clearanced S15s will be short battery life.  Have mine in use for the computer and TV setup in the office. 

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: 1st Class Service From APC on the S15
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:23 pm »
To clarify, I purchased the  original unit after all the sale units had sold. I kept going back to Vanns open box, return, blow out, etc page  to check for a deal on the S-15. The unit I got was a return.