Power Conditioning/Protection for computers

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Power Conditioning/Protection for computers
« on: 2 Sep 2011, 11:43 pm »
A really strong lightning storm came through a week or two ago and knocked out my internet connection (outside of the house) and then it blew a board on my PC.
I was using a cheap-o plastic cased APC protector (an older unit, too).
Would something along the lines of an APC-12 or 15 do the trick?  Cheap is good as this is not a stereo system, it's just my old Dell.

decal

Re: Power Conditioning/Protection for computers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 08:27 am »
Nothing will protect equipment from direct strikes. Please unplug your equipment during storms if you want it protected.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:03 am »
The best thing is a total whole house system.  One that has AC power protection and telephone, satellite and cable TV protection all at the AC power service entrance. Also add a good ground rod system connected only at the service entrance. The ground rod's real job is for lightning protection.

Some experts write that point of use protectors cause more problems than they solve.

rw@cn

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:42 am »
Nothing will protect equipment from direct strikes. Please unplug your equipment during storms if you want it protected.

+1.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:46 am »
www.zerosurge.com makes some great stuff.  Since using his stuff, I don't unplug anything.  I let it eat!!!

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm »
I use the Brick Wall Line filter for a long time and never unplug anything here. Same as Zero Surge.

http://www.brickwall.com/surge-protectors/video/products/view/5/5.html

decal

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:31 pm »
Evidently some of you guys have never witnessed a direct hit from lightening. :duh:

rw@cn

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:38 pm »
I had a hit in my back yard about 15' from the house a few years ago. Fortunately I had all electronics (but cable and phone) disconnected. The cable and phone ran through a PS Audio Quintet which absorbed the hit before it died. Thankfully the whole house surge protector protected the appliances and heat pump. That was replaced as well, although the electrician said it was ok.

One neighbor lost just about all of his electronics and his house was about 70' away from the strike.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:07 pm »
Evidently some of you guys have never witnessed a direct hit from lightening. :duh:

Could not agree more. Unplug the suckers. Besides leaving the gear plugged in all the time leads to magnetic build up which robs dynamics and clarity. BTW when is the last time anyone demaged their system ?? Your gonna be surprised as to the result. Give it a go Guys.

charles
SMA

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:38 pm »
  Could not agree more. Unplug the suckers. Besides leaving the gear plugged in all the time leads to magnetic build up which robs dynamics and clarity. BTW when is the last time anyone demaged their system ?? Your gonna be surprised as to the result. Give it a go Guys.

charles
SMA

How does one demagnetize their system? I've never done it.