help this noob out. should i buy the apc deal in cheap and cheerful??

Rclark

So.. My system has noise, I've come to terms with that, but I don't like it. I was going to solve the issue later but there's an opportunity in cheap and cheerful for a deal on an apc.

I've got mechanical transformer hum in my gear, and I've got a slight noise floor, not much, the Emotiva gear is pretty quiet but I'd like it gone.

I know next to nothing about power treatment. I mean, I've read this forum some, but I have no firsthand experience.

I was going to look for a used PS Audio Humbuster to apparently solve the transformer hum, then I was going to buy a used PS audio Duet and plug that into the Humbuster for general noise floor power smoothing.

Good idea? Or should I buy the apc that is on special right now? Or some other product? Not a huge budget at the moment. Thanks for any help :)

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
First off, the APC is a good deal just from being able to plug in a ton of plugs into it.  It is built like a tank!!  It looks to have heavier body armour than what the government gives our troops.  It has lowered the floor noise of my system.

However, that being said... do you have a dedicated line AC line that you use for your audio??  It hit me like a rock the other night.  I always had an annoying hum coming though my speakers that I could hear close up but not in my listening postion.  However, it still bugged me that it was there.  I usually turn my tube gear off when leaving the room.  However, a couple of nights ago, I planned on coming back in so I turned off all the lights as I was leaving and voila!!  No more hum!  I plan on getting a dedicated line ASAP!

Randy

Rclark

So that's one for the apc. Ok.

Have you personally thought of adding a Humbuster? Apparently the problem is DC on the line.

I can't add a dedicated line, I live in an apartment for now.

roscoeiii

Big fan of the Humbuster if DC on the line is the issue. PS Audio does have a trial period as does Channel Islands, who has a comparable product.