Maestro outlets

50jess

Maestro outlets
« on: 24 Nov 2011, 02:08 pm »
Has anyone tried the Maestro outlets?  What sonic improvements could one expect?

Big Red Machine

Re: Maestro outlets
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2011, 02:21 pm »
orgnic and clean

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:45 pm »
I just finished a custom Uber for an Audio Circle member that has three of them in it.  He has had another Uber with Furutech FI-15A-N1 receptacles.  It will be good to see what he has to say.  I'll shoot him a link to this discussion so that me can weigh in (if he wants to) regarding the sound.

Dave

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2011, 06:48 pm by dBe »

50jess

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:31 pm »
Just had Maestro installed.  Very significant improvement!  3D quality.

highfilter

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:33 pm »
I haven't experimented with other outlets, but these babies do make a positive difference. Recommended.

yo2tup

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:30 pm »
I just finished a custom Uber for an Audio Circle member that has three of them in it.  He has had another Uber with Furutech FI-15A-N1 receptacles.  It will be good to see what he has to say.  I'll shoot him a link to this discussion so that me can weigh in (if he wants to) regarding the sound.

Dave

Like Dave said, I've been using this new Uberbuss with the Maestro outlets and Mongo power cord for a little over a week now.  I previously had an Uberbuss with the Furutech gold outlets and the
"standard" MPC power cord.  I can't make any comments on the Maestro or Mongo pc on their own, but I can compare the two Uberbuss systems to each other.   The difference between these two units aren't subtle, I actually couldn't believe it at first.  So here are my thoughts of the two units compared to each other:

Furutech/Standard MPC Uber:  very musical and punchy, and very smooth and flowing in the midrange.  It makes for a pretty and colorful sound, that's little on the warmer side of neutral.    I've been happy with this unit for the past few months, it sounds great.  Cleaned up my dirty power very nicely without restricting dynamics...I want to say that it actually improved dynamics.   But I didn't know what I was missing until getting the Maestro/Mongo Uber. I realized that the smooth midrange and pretty sound actually masks and flattens some the detail, but still makes very enjoyable sound. 

Maestro/Mongo Uber:  so much more detail in the midrange and image separation.   imaging is sharper with better separation and space.  the added detail (and microdynamics) and better imaging makes everything sound very 3D with more texture.  the frequency range is more neutral and better balanced.    i hate to be cliche but overall everything sounds more like real music with this unit.  In my system, I definitely consider this to be an upgrade over the other unit, and not just preference thing.     

For me, going from the furu/standard uber to the maestro/mongo uber is all pros without any con's. Money well spent for sure :)  And from what I've read Maestro's take ~500 hours to get into full stride.  I have way less hours than that on mine and everything sounds great, so I'm curious to see how it improves over time. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:34 pm »
Yes, they take time.  I just built a small distribution box with a pair and it has its ups and downs right now.

yo2tup

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:37 pm »
my system btw:

Viva Solista MKIII integrated, Trenner & Friedl Ella speakers, and Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1 combo

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:42 pm »
Like Dave said, I've been using this new Uberbuss with the Maestro outlets and Mongo power cord for a little over a week now.  I previously had an Uberbuss with the Furutech gold outlets and the
"standard" MPC power cord.  I can't make any comments on the Maestro or Mongo pc on their own, but I can compare the two Uberbuss systems to each other.   The difference between these two units aren't subtle, I actually couldn't believe it at first.  So here are my thoughts of the two units compared to each other:

Furutech/Standard MPC Uber:  very musical and punchy, and very smooth and flowing in the midrange.  It makes for a pretty and colorful sound, that's little on the warmer side of neutral.    I've been happy with this unit for the past few months, it sounds great.  Cleaned up my dirty power very nicely without restricting dynamics...I want to say that it actually improved dynamics.   But I didn't know what I was missing until getting the Maestro/Mongo Uber. I realized that the smooth midrange and pretty sound actually masks and flattens some the detail, but still makes very enjoyable sound. 

Maestro/Mongo Uber:  so much more detail in the midrange and image separation.   imaging is sharper with better separation and space.  the added detail (and microdynamics) and better imaging makes everything sound very 3D with more texture.  the frequency range is more neutral and better balanced.    i hate to be cliche but overall everything sounds more like real music with this unit.  In my system, I definitely consider this to be an upgrade over the other unit, and not just preference thing.     

For me, going from the furu/standard uber to the maestro/mongo uber is all pros without any con's. Money well spent for sure :)  And from what I've read Maestro's take ~500 hours to get into full stride.  I have way less hours than that on mine and everything sounds great, so I'm curious to see how it improves over time.
What's different other then the outlets though?

yo2tup

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:11 pm »
What's different other then the outlets though?

The Mongo power cord that's built into the Uberbuss.  The other Uberbuss with the Furutech oulets had a standard MPC power cord built in.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:13 pm »
The Mongo power cord that's built into the Uberbuss
You mean that he just used the same wire in & out right?

yo2tup

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:16 pm »
no its a different power cord design.  you can read about it here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83892.0

Berto

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:53 pm »
I rolled a Jenna, Porter and Maestro in and out of my rig. Maestro had the porters more immediate presentation (that I like) with the transparency of the Jenna. Almost like best of both worlds. I installed a few in my Bybee V2 and one in the wall.

When I was doing this, I thought maybe I might need to seek help, but it turns out it really makes a diff, like everything i'm finding out :duh:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:47 pm »
no its a different power cord design.  you can read about it here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83892.0
Kevin, first let me thank you for the great review.  I told you that you would prefer the new Uber over the first one that you had.  Part of the reason is the Maestro receptacles and most of it is Mongo.  The two Ubers are identical internally. 

First, the Furutech/Maestro differences as far as I can tell.  The Furutech is round and lush sounding.  Great bottom, a warmly detailed and breathy midrange with highs that shimmer and do not possess any edginess to them that I have found.  They are perfect for most solid state based systems and tube systems that you want to really draw you into the presentation.

The Maestros are more immediate sounding with a tight well defined bass, great midrange and high frequency detail - more "air", if you will.  Given your system, I can see and hear why these are a better choice for your system.  I would describe both of them as organic sounding, just different.  Each receptacle is continuous in timbre, which most receptacles are not.  I detest receptacles that have a big, overblown low end and crappy highs or vice versa.  That is most of them out there.  Smoothness of presentation is where I live.

Is one better than the other?  No, and I'll say that categorically.  They just have to be selected with system synergy in mind.  I personally would prefer either of these over Oyaide, at least the ones that I have auditioned and subsequently sold.

Mongo:  Mongo has changed since the link that you posted above.  It is a different cable now in that it has slightly more wire in it.  It is a VERY robust 10ga.  It is also no longer externally shielded but uses that wire lay for noise rejection.  This is the final version of Mongo.  Furutech gold plated connectors, only.  Not using anything else on it - the cable is voiced with those as part of the overall sound.

There you have the scoop.

The combination that you now hve will continue to improve over the next few weeks.  Enjoy the ride.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2011, 09:50 pm »
When I was doing this, I thought maybe I might need to seek help, but it turns out it really makes a diff, like everything i'm finding out :duh:
Oh, no.  Berto, you still need help.  :lol: Welcome to group therapy.

Hi.  My name is Dave and I can hear the difference.

It's fun here in the loony bin  :thumb:

Dave

tarquineous

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:35 am »
Kevin, first let me thank you for the great review.  I told you that you would prefer the new Uber over the first one that you had.  Part of the reason is the Maestro receptacles and most of it is Mongo.  The two Ubers are identical internally. 

First, the Furutech/Maestro differences as far as I can tell.  The Furutech is round and lush sounding.  Great bottom, a warmly detailed and breathy midrange with highs that shimmer and do not possess any edginess to them that I have found.  They are perfect for most solid state based systems and tube systems that you want to really draw you into the presentation.

That is an excellent looking product. Nice work! Is the cord hard wired into the unit ?

The Maestros are more immediate sounding with a tight well defined bass, great midrange and high frequency detail - more "air", if you will.  Given your system, I can see and hear why these are a better choice for your system.  I would describe both of them as organic sounding, just different.  Each receptacle is continuous in timbre, which most receptacles are not.  I detest receptacles that have a big, overblown low end and crappy highs or vice versa.  That is most of them out there.  Smoothness of presentation is where I live.

Is one better than the other?  No, and I'll say that categorically.  They just have to be selected with system synergy in mind.  I personally would prefer either of these over Oyaide, at least the ones that I have auditioned and subsequently sold.

Mongo:  Mongo has changed since the link that you posted above.  It is a different cable now in that it has slightly more wire in it.  It is a VERY robust 10ga.  It is also no longer externally shielded but uses that wire lay for noise rejection.  This is the final version of Mongo.  Furutech gold plated connectors, only.  Not using anything else on it - the cable is voiced with those as part of the overall sound.

There you have the scoop.

The combination that you now hve will continue to improve over the next few weeks.  Enjoy the ride.

Dave

tarquineous

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:37 am »
Nice work ! Is the cord hard wired into the unit ?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:01 pm »
Nice work ! Is the cord hard wired into the unit ?
Yes, it is.  when possible hard wiring is the best way to go, obviously.  The end user just has to be satisfied in his/her own mind that cable rolling is out.

The Uber/Mongo combination is really special.

Dave

Soundminded

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:08 pm »
The industrial TOTL standard 5-20R duplex outlet is Hubbell 5362. Should cost about $5 at retail. A heavy grade power cord is 12 gage SO cord, should run no more than maybe what, a buck a foot or less. Hubbell 5-15P is the TOTL plug.

What brand of Romex or BX do you guys think sounds best? Do you guys wire your circuits with #14, #12, or #10 AWG? Local codes usually make the decision of which generic type to use for you. For instance in NYC it must be BX. IMO EMT or RC with THHN is best. What circuit breaker panel sounds best to you, Square D or Cutler Hammer?

tarquineous

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2011, 06:23 pm »
The industrial TOTL standard 5-20R duplex outlet is Hubbell 5362. Should cost about $5 at retail. A heavy grade power cord is 12 gage SO cord, should run no more than maybe what, a buck a foot or less. Hubbell 5-15P is the TOTL plug.

What brand of Romex or BX do you guys think sounds best? Do you guys wire your circuits with #14, #12, or #10 AWG? Local codes usually make the decision of which generic type to use for you. For instance in NYC it must be BX. IMO EMT or RC with THHN is best. What circuit breaker panel sounds best to you, Square D or Cutler Hammer?

That information can be found in other threads. There are several listed in wall cables other than Romex. Similar with breakers.

Do some listening tests, and get back with us !