Minimeetings at the “Sound Cocoon”

BrunoB

« on: 5 Nov 2004, 09:32 pm »
I plan to organize several small audio meeting at my place pretty soon – the first one could take place already next weekend (November 15th or 16th). The goal of this post is to see how many of you might be interested because of space limitations (small apartment).

So, what is the “Sound Cocoon”?

While most of you guys were optimizing your sound system by buying elecronics, cable, speakers, power conditioners, … , I was buying foam! Ever wonder why Carl nicknamed me “Foamboy”? I created a headphone type environment that minimizes room interaction by adsorption and by placing the speakers quite close to the listener (5.5 ft).

Equipment I plan to use:
   -Speakers: VMPS 626R, heavenly modified, (three way first order series crossover, home cooked with red hot TRT caps and Mundorf ZOCs, time aligned and convergent drivers, silcleared ribbon tweeters, open enclosure integrated with the room treatment, …)
   -Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 for surround
   - Sharp SD-HX500 universal player /receiver with 5 channel 1 bit digital amp.

Music:
   I have more SACD’s than CD’s ! And many are multichannel. I love classical music, therefore I would like to have a classical music session.

Video:
   My system is also a home theater. I have a small HDTV which can make pretty pictures. We could watch a few movies chapters that have nice musical scores and spectacular sound effects ... .

So, let me know if you are interested and I will start to organize things  ...

Bruno

DeadFish

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 10:27 pm »
I can hardly make it to a meeting in N.C., Bruno, but would love to see some pics showing how you earned your 'FoamBoy' status.  :wink:
Always looking for ways others find great sound, and you have my interest raised!
Best Regards,
DeadFish

claud

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2004, 12:18 am »
Pics, Pics, Pics!!!! I too have heard you referenced as Foamboy, the god of foam room treatments. I would love to hear your system, but am occupied till the third weekend in December. Audio is a Winter sport anyway, especially if you are into tube audio.

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2004, 04:22 am »
I don't remember coining that nickname...  :?   I thought I said 'foamdude'. ;)

If I'm in town and not working 24/7 like I have been lately, I'll arrive and bring some exotic chocolate from Pennsylvania. ;)

Sounds like you've gotten your system where you like it!  Congrats!!!

BrunoB

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2004, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I don't remember coining that nickname...  :?   I thought I said 'foamdude'. ;)

If I'm in town and not working 24/7 like I have been lately, I'll arrive and bring some exotic chocolate from Pennsylvania. ;)

Sounds like you've gotten your system where you like it!  Congrats!!!

My mistake, it was Tim:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=14015.msg120667#120667&highlight=foam%2A#120667

Actually, I don't have my system completely sounding the way I would like, there is a little something in the midrange that is missing and I thought my visitors could provide some suggestions ...  (tube amp?). Maybe  it is too smooth and bright  (the TRT caps are very nice).  The bass is quite unusual

I just found out yesterday that one of the L-Pads of my speaker is not working properly. Hopefully, the  replacement part will arrive in time.

I don't have a good digital camera now. My sytem does not look nice at this time bc I have a mix of foam of different colors  but it certainly surprises visitors  :o

Here is the foam layout:

Red lines represent foam, gray boxes speakers. There is a sofa in the middle.

Here is my right speaker burried in the foam:

BrunoB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2004, 04:23 pm »
Quote from: BrunoB
I just found out yesterday that one of the L-Pads of my speaker is not working properly. Hopefully, the replacement part will arrive in time.  ...

Looks like I will have to postpone this meeting. Hopefully, I will have this fixed early next week.

Bruno

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2004, 11:15 am »
Bruno,

Sorry about the L-pads, happy about the postponement.  I couldn't have made it this weekend, but likely can at a later date.

BTW, when you didn't make it over for the last meet, I was hoping it was not in protest over your moniker ... was 'glad' to hear you were under the weather.

BrunoB

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:45 pm »
I just found out yesterday that one of the L-Pads of my speaker is not working properly. Hopefully, the replacement part will arrive in time.  ...

My speakers are singing again. I upgraded the treble L-pads to more powerful ones and made a small crossover change. Smoothest sound I have ever had.  :D

Sound Cocoon meeting is planned for this Sunday afternoon. If nobody can come on Sunday, I might move it to Saturday. Or may be we will have two sessions.

Anyone interested?

I am living in the RTP. I will send directions by PM.

Have a nice week,

Bruno

vrao81

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2004, 04:00 am »
Hey Bruno I might be able to make it on sunday. I'm interested in checking out your system as I am an avid fan of headphone listening.

Inscrutable

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2004, 09:20 am »
WRT work, I don't come up for air until Sunday.  If the domestic duties list is manageable, I would like to come over for a bit.

BrunoB

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2004, 03:59 pm »
Quote from: vrao81
Hey Bruno I might be able to make it on sunday. I'm interested in checking out your system as I am an avid fan of headphone listening.

Cool.

Tim and Vik,

I plan to start Sunday around 2 PM (don't want to disturb my neighbors on Sunday morning!). I 'll provide a dessert.

I 'll send directions  by PM.

My amp Sharp SM-SX1 amplifier just came back from Sharp repair service, we will have two Sharp digital amps for listening, a low end and a high end one  :D .

Bruno

PS:

BrunoB

Not much interest for room treatment
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2004, 10:48 pm »

Thanks to Vik for stopping by.

I am a little disappointed that there wasn't much interest in a "special" system where room treatment was the first design priority. :(
 You guys missed my technology tour (there is more than just sound adsorption ...). May be it is too much of an "Outcast" system that uses inexpensive electronics.

Anyway, hope that eveyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

Bruno

claud

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2004, 03:54 am »
Bruno, I don't think it's your system, just the time of year. I really want to hear yours. I've heard of but never seen or heard a nearfield system. I've also wanted to hear your speakers. It won't be until after Christmas that I am sure to have a free weekend. I'll PM you a week before.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Re: Not much interest for room treatment
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:09 am »

Thanks to Vik for stopping by.

I am a little disappointed that there wasn't much interest in a "special" system where room treatment was the first design priority. :(
 You guys missed my technology tour (there is more than just sound adsorption ...). May be it is too much of an "Outcast" system that uses inexpensive electronics.

Anyway, hope that eveyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

Bruno

Bruno,

This month has been absolutely INSANE with me being out of town for two full weeks this month.....  finally got to take some vacation time for the first time in quite some time.... unfortunately that put me waaaaaaaay behind...  sorry I missed it... I really do want to hear your system.... maybe next time...

Inscrutable

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2004, 09:22 am »
Yes, I too am very interested in seeing and hearing your configuration.  As you know, I had that one-day window between out of towners, and I was overly optimistic about the length of the honey-do list, I'm afraid.  To top it off, I've been sick on and off throughout this, so you probably wouldn't have wanted to be around me anyway. Please DO think about a second gathering - I'm sure sveral of us would like to come over.  But you might want to pick/solicit a date soon so we can block it out.  BTW, did you post any impressions, Vic?

BrunoB

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2004, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
 But you might want to pick/solicit a date soon so we can block it out.

I picked Sunday December 21st for the next meeting.

Glad to see some interest.

Hopefully, Shane will give me some feed back about my new series crossover.

Tim if you like, you could borrow one or two rolls of foam to play with.

For Claud, I will probably organise another meeting early next year.

If you guys would like to bring some gear (electronics) let me know and I will free some space (=move the TV away ...) to ease swapping.

Quote from: Inscrutable
BTW, did you post any impressions, Vic?

I haven't heard from him since then. Hope that everything is OK with him.  I think he liked my system (or he was very polite). He told me that he heard new sonic details from one of his favorite CD that he has been listening to for two years ...

Bruno

sheadlee

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2004, 07:05 pm »
Hi, Bruno!

According to my calendar December 21 is on a Tuesday???

If I am far enough along, on getting some of my home projects finished, then I would love to come listen. However, if I'm unable to make it, then that means I still have too much to do.

BrunoB

« Reply #17 on: 3 Dec 2004, 08:13 pm »
Quote from: sheadlee
Hi, Bruno!

According to my calendar December 21 is on a Tuesday???

If I am far enough along, on getting some of my home projects finished, then I would love to come listen. However, if I'm unable to make it, then that means I still have too much to do.

I was looking at the November page of my calendar  :oops: . I meant Sunday 19th!

Good luck with your home projects.

Bruno

sheadlee

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2004, 01:10 am »
Bruno,

Are you going to shoot for a start time of around 2:00PM, again?

BrunoB

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2004, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: sheadlee
Bruno,

Are you going to shoot for a start time of around 2:00PM, again?

Yes, if this is OK with everyone.

Bruno