• James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: My favorite vintage speakers...
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2009, 05:09 am »
Infinity IRS III
Shahinian Diapason
Totem original Model 1
Duntech 2001 Sovereign
IMF's most costly floorstander (labyrinth)
Acoustic Energy (Britain) AE2, early metal diaphragm dual-130mm 2-way

Spica TC-60 below, Jon Bau's most refined; also designed TC-50 & Angelus (Angelus plays deeper & louder but has less resolution)

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 02:58 am by ro7939 »

jimdgoulding

Re: Best vintage speakers
« Reply #101 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:42 pm »
Hello,

I have listened to Stephens Trusonic 150FR and 12" Jensen with custom built cabinet and crossover. I never forgot those speaker's sound and surely they are driven by SET amps (211 and 300B parallel). The sound was very natural, especially with defined bass, which I have never listened to nowaday or modern speakers (I do not mean horn speakers since horn is another level). Do anybody try to listen or hear any custom built vintage speakers? Let me know your thought and/or your opinion. Thanks.

Beveridge's and Acoustat Three's.

Dude, I adore your avatar.

rcspkramp

« Reply #102 on: 25 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm »
The Koss Model 1 full range elecrostatic speaker. Impossibe to drive and impossible to ignore.
Stunning bass.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #103 on: 22 May 2009, 01:23 am »
Listening now to Jensen 700xl, nice.
Electrovoice Sentry III
Advents

orthobiz

« Reply #104 on: 26 May 2009, 02:39 am »
Check out my avatar:

DQ-10's!

Paul

Baranyi

« Reply #105 on: 26 May 2009, 03:34 am »
My favorite vintage speaker is the Beveridge 2sw electrostats.  I currently use these speakers and they are the best that I have ever had.  I would love to listen to a pair of the original model 2's which are supposed to be volume limited but still incredibly good.

Michael 8

« Reply #106 on: 6 Jun 2009, 07:40 pm »
Very interesting thread.

I suppose mine are the Quad 57 ESLs.  They didn't play loud or have much bass, but they were special, a window on the orchestra, I think they used to say.  They were driven by those large Mark Levinson amps at a store I used to haunt.

I've owned all the usual suspects: KLH 6, AR3a, Advents, Dynaco A25, Heil AMT1, but I couldn't stand the tweeter on the DQ10.  Maybe it was just the interaction with the amp there? I also had &O M70s or something like that.  Ok, also a Spectrum 208 was decent for awhile. 

Then I got my PSB strat gold i's and I still use them.  One thing I've noticed is that with each better component the PSBs sound better.  I used to notice things that I didn't care for in some of those vintage speakers I owned but wonder now if they wouldn't sound much better with today's amps and sources.

My first big deal with audio was as a kid in the fifties.  I think I was listening (mono) to a  big JBL folded horn with the mashed potato tweeter.  I think they used a McIntosh amp.  Wow!

Next, a few years later I was blown away listening to  stereo AR3s driven by McIntosh 75s.  I remember them playing Pictures at an Exhibition.  Wonderful.

By the seventies I was not much interested in large loudspeakers like the Altec A7s they used in the Record Theatre stores.  Looking back now, I believe the sound was probably hurt by the cheap transistor amps they used to power them with.

natas

« Reply #107 on: 6 Jun 2009, 08:55 pm »
well.....Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE....is the one....the best ! :green:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #108 on: 2 Aug 2009, 09:54 pm »
JBL 4344s

Quiet Earth

« Reply #109 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:47 pm »

Can't seem to part with 'em. They keep me company when I'm in the garage.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #110 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:59 am »
What are they? I don't recognize them.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #111 on: 3 Aug 2009, 02:27 am »
My guess would be Sequerras, althou i've not seen them with grills before.

dave

Quiet Earth

« Reply #112 on: 3 Aug 2009, 03:30 am »
Yep! Dick Sequerra's Pyramid Metronome 7 from 1982 (I think). I still have the ribbon tweeters too, but I don't keep them out in the garage.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #113 on: 3 Aug 2009, 03:58 am »
My room mate & I both had original Advents.  We stacked them head to head (tweeters together) & powered them w/ a receiver.  Bass, dynamics & SPL up the whazoo (playing Doobie Bros).  Still would love to hear them again.   

PhilNYC

« Reply #114 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:38 pm »
The first pair of speakers I ever bought were EPI T/E-100 when I was in college...loved them!

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-te100.htm

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #115 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:29 pm »
Although the ESS Heil, the AR 3A, and the Design Acoustics D-12 were all speakers that I listened to and liked for one reason or another, the Ohm Model A was the one I lusted for.  Unfortunately, between the $$$ and the hundreds of watts per channel required it just wasn't a realistic option back in the mid 70's when I was first upgrading. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 3 Aug 2009, 02:47 pm »
This thread is getting old...apology if these were mentioned already: German Braun L1030 floorstander, IIRC 2x 200mm, 3" & 1" domes...I would have considered anything to get a pair of these back in the days of Pacific Stereo stores where they were heard in the high end room...I'd still love a pair.  I think the ADS (Analog Digital System) version were pretty much the same speaker.  Another is the Braun mini-monitor which (again IIRC) stuffed a 130mm & dome mid/dome tweeter into a tightly packed small speaker.  Sooo smooth & detailed, hmmmm...In quality of appearance, finish & aspiration ADS & Braun were similar to Wilson Audio of today's brands. 

Some including an old friend swore by Bose's old model 901 (equalized, sum total nine drivers-all 130mm mid-basses, eight drivers rear-firing, one driver forward-firing); I never liked them, maybe because the EQ required 4kW to drive them.

I too very much enjoyed the drive, power & bass of the ESS Heil AMT.  A friend I did business with was friends w/ Oscar Heil; I had lunch Oscar years ago, a very sweet & enjoyable, humble person.  Still have very bad feelings for him in that Heil made many millions off his invention & paid Oscar little to nothing.  Very interesting that even PE is selling the Heil driver & diaphragms again.  I doubt Oscar is still with us.  Does anyone know his status? 

Wayner

« Reply #117 on: 3 Aug 2009, 07:56 pm »
I had these 35+ year old Dynaco A25XL's refurbished with ne cabinets and got rid of all the bad things about the original design. No grill, no edge in the front, made them left and right hand, and beautiful wood all around.

Wayner  :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #118 on: 3 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm »

I too very much enjoyed the drive, power & bass of the ESS Heil AMT.  A friend I did business with was friends w/ Oscar Heil; I had lunch Oscar years ago, a very sweet & enjoyable, humble person.  Still have very bad feelings for him in that Heil made many millions off his invention & paid Oscar little to nothing.  Very interesting that even PE is selling the Heil driver & diaphragms again.  I doubt Oscar is still with us.  Does anyone know his status?

according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Heil
he died in 1994.

He was also one of the first to take out a patent on a very early version of the transistor in 1935(!):
http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=GB&NR=439457&KC=&FT=E

boycephoto

« Reply #119 on: 16 Aug 2009, 03:13 pm »
Oops sorry, I didn't mean to reply