L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread

Vinnie R.

All,

I updated the website with the L2 Signature Monoblocks page:

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-monoblock/

- Please keep in mind that it still needs to be updated with a photo slider, more pics, and additional measurements in the specifications section.  It should still serve as a good start, and the Shopping Cart is now active. :)

- This new thread will be the location to discuss the L2 Signature Monoblocks, post feedback and reviews, etc.

- You will also see a link to the L2 Siganature Preamplifier page, but at this time I only have a few pics (Features/Specifications lists
coming later this month).  I will be starting another thread titled "L2 Signature Preamplifier - Information and Discussion Thread"
in the next few weeks.  Let's try to keep the monoblock discussion in this thread, and preamp discussion in the upcoming thread, ok? Wink2

[NOTE: The rear panel of the production units will say "L2 Signature Monoblock" instead of only "L2".]

[L2 Signature Monoblock custom injection-molded travel case - will have custom-made inner foam to precisely fit the product (not shown) and Vinnie Rossi logo badge attached.] 
Each L2 Siganture Monoblock ships in its own travel case, which is air/water tight (up to 3 feet deep) and Made in the USA.

FEATURES / SPECIFICATIONS

Please visit https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-monoblock/ and click on the tabs to learn more.

ORDERING

We are now taking orders!  Current lead-time is approx. 3 weeks from when we receive your order.

TRADE-IN

If you are interested in trading-in your VR120 for trade-in credit towards a pair of L2 Signature Monoblocks, please email me to discuss.

NOTE: L2 Signature Preamplifier (as well as L2 DAC and L2 Phonostage) are not estimated to enter production until end of July.

Once again, THANK YOU for all your interest, enthusiasm and support (and patience with me getting L2 into production)!

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2018, 03:17 pm by Vinnie R. »

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2018, 08:21 pm »
All,

I updated the website with the L2 Signature Monoblocks page:

- Please keep in mind that it still needs to be updated with a photo slider, more pics, and additional measurements in the specifications section.  It should still serve as a good start, and the Shopping Cart is now active. :)

- This new thread will be the location to discuss the L2 Signature Monoblocks, post feedback and reviews, etc.

- You will also see a link to the L2 Siganature Preamplifier page, but at this time I only have a few pics (Features/Specifications lists
coming later this month).  I will be starting another thread titled "L2 Signature Preamplifier - Information and Discussion Thread"
in the next few weeks.  Let's try to keep the monoblock discussion in this thread, and preamp discussion in the upcoming thread, ok? Wink2

[NOTE: The rear panel of the production units will say "L2 Signature Monoblock" instead of only "L2".]

[L2 Signature Monoblock custom injection-molded travel case - will have custom-made inner foam to precisely fit the product (not shown) and Vinnie Rossi logo badge attached.] 
Each L2 Siganture Monoblock ships in its own travel case, which is air/water tight (up to 3 feet deep) and Made in the USA.

FEATURES / SPECIFICATIONS

Please visit https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-monoblock/ and click on the tabs to learn more.

ORDERING

We are now taking orders!  Current lead-time is approx. 3 weeks from when we receive your order.

TRADE-IN

If you are interested in trading-in your VR120 (or Red Wine Audio amplifier) for trade-in credit towards a
pair of L2 Signature Monoblocks, please email me to discuss.

NOTE: L2 Signature Preamplifier (as well as L2 DAC and L2 Phonostage) are not estimated to enter production until end of July.

Once again, THANK YOU for all your interest, enthusiasm and support (and patience with me getting L2 into production)!

Vinnie

These are SUPERB sounding amplifiers! Fantastic demonstrations at the recent AXPONA show!

Good luck, Vinnie (even though you don't need it!)!

Cheers,
Pete

mirekti

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2018, 08:54 pm »
From the specs: AC Input:   Factory configured for 110-120Vac  -OR-  220-240Vac (50/60Hz)

Do you use two different transformer coils or it only needs to be rewired (in case one purchase one type, but needs to change it later on)?

Mikeg77

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:03 pm »
Power consumption at idle, and in use, would be an interesting spec for the web page.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:14 pm »
Hi Triode Pete,

Thank you - and looking forward to having both the L2 Preamp and Monoblocks at RMAF 2018
with your cabling! 

Hi mirekti,

From the specs: AC Input:   Factory configured for 110-120Vac  -OR-  220-240Vac (50/60Hz)
Do you use two different transformer coils or it only needs to be rewired (in case one purchase one type, but needs to change it later on)?

I had my transformers wound with dual primaries, so it would only need to be rewired (not replaced). 

Hi Mikeg77,

Welcome to audiocircle and the VR forum!

Power consumption at idle, and in use, would be an interesting spec for the web page.

I'll be posting power consumption at idle soon.  Regarding the power consumption 'in use,' that would depend on how loud you play your music and the load of your speakers.   What I can do is measure power consumption at max RMS output power (to give you an idea regarding the max it will consume).

Thanks,

Vinnie

Paullb

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2018, 03:06 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Spec sheet says ultrahigh bandwidth, supershort signal path, class AB MOSFET. That sounds like Goldmund, Soulution, or Linnenberg. Am I on the right track, did you benchmark your new statement amps against any of those type of products?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2018, 04:58 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Spec sheet says ultrahigh bandwidth, supershort signal path, class AB MOSFET. That sounds like Goldmund, Soulution, or Linnenberg. Am I on the right track...

Hi Paullb,

Thanks for your post:

I do not believe it is good form for me to discuss competitors products, comparisons, etc.  It is a different situation if a professional reviewer or customer happens to have a competing product on hand and wants to make comparisons within the context of their system (e.g. source, preamp, speakers, etc.).  As far as I can tell, even though the brands you mention are also achieving very high bandwidth and use Class AB MOSFET topology, the L2 Signature Monoblock amplifier's circuitry does not share anything else in common with them.

I also believe the only 'right track' to be on is the one that delivers the best sound to your ears, in your system, and within your budget.
I grant customers a 30-day return policy (no re-stock fee) for this reason, and hopefully they will have the same with the other brands of amplifier that they are considering so they can do in-home comparisons and pick the one that sounds best to them in their system. 

As many already know, I really enjoy giving demos at the trade-shows (and I appreciate everyone coming in for a good listen and posting their impressions), but I still firmly believe that the only real way of knowing if you'll be happy is to listen in your own system.  While I mention things like features, specs, warranty, return Policy, etc. - those only matter if your ears are loving what they hear.  :singing: :inlove:

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Paullb

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:32 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I understand and respect your answer. I look forward to hearing them someday or reading some reviews if any become available.

Mitch751

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2018, 04:32 am »
Hello,

Do you think these monoblocks can drive my B&W 800 Diamond 2 ?

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2018, 03:25 pm »
Hello,

Being that they nearly double down into 4 ohms, and are 2 ohm stable, I think it safe to say these are relatively high current amps. Should be just fine running those unless your room is very large.
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2018, 02:50 am by paul79 »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2018, 06:16 pm »
Hello,

Hi Mitch751,

Yes, I think they would be a fine match.  [That speaker is in the 3 to 4 ohm range from approx. 80Hz - 800Hz, so you'll
actually have 140+ watts RMS power in that range where much of the music is].   

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2018, 05:53 am »
thank you so much for the reply, Paul and Vinnie

very tempted .....

sbj23

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2018, 03:04 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I wanted to continue along from a question I had asked on the AXPONA thread.  My question was about how much improvement the L2 preamp + mono blocks would be over the LIO DHT, and you responded it would be "substantial" - which is great!

Could you expand on that for those of us who have the LIO DHT and have enjoyed the 1-box solution?  Does the "substantial" improvement come largely from the monoblocks?  I currently use the MOSFET amp in the LIO, so of course I'm sure the monoblocks (or the VR120 for that matter) would provide much more power to the speakers.  How much of the improvement is from the L2 Pre being superior to the LIO Pre?  It seems that the L2 DAC will be similar to the LIO DAC 2.0, but better.  What other elements are contributing to the "substantial" improvement?

I know you are still working on the details and providing your customers with more information.  Please take your time in answering, whenever the time is appropriate and convenient for you.  Thank you Vinnie for continuing to make wonderful products!

magnuska

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2018, 09:20 am »
Hi sbj23

I am not Vinnie but for my own experiences with LIO AVC/Tubestage and internal mosfet amp.
I added a poweramp 3 weeks ago and it was a very nice upgrade in SQ for me so I guess Vinnie is
referring to both the pre and power section when he talks about "substantial improvement"

I am also interested to know more about the differences between LIO DHT and the new L2 preamp alone.

Regards Magnus

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2018, 03:30 pm »
Hi sbj23,

The substantial improvements come from both L2 components, and I will go into more detail about this later when I have more time and when all the L2 Signature Preamplifier details are up on our website (hopefully later this month). 

Right now we are as busy as ever!  :hyper:

Thank you,

Vinnie

khande24

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2018, 10:21 pm »
Hi sbj23

I am not Vinnie but for my own experiences with LIO AVC/Tubestage and internal mosfet amp.
I added a poweramp 3 weeks ago and it was a very nice upgrade in SQ for me so I guess Vinnie is
referring to both the pre and power section when he talks about "substantial improvement"

I am also interested to know more about the differences between LIO DHT and the new L2 preamp alone.

Regards Magnus

Just curious, what poweramp are you using with the LIO? The VR120?

magnuska

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2018, 06:04 am »
Just curious, what poweramp are you using with the LIO? The VR120?

I use a class D amp with the ICE edge 1200AS module.  (Mivera audio purepower SE)

Regards Magnus

Vinnie R.

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2018, 08:44 pm »
All,

Just a quick update on the L2 Signature Monoblocks:

- All parts are in stock and I will start shipping orders later next week!  :hyper:
- Additional pics and measurements for the website are coming soon.

I've been insanely busy as you can imagine, but I hope to begin updating the website (and this forum) with more
info on the L2 Signature Preamplifier, L2 Phonostage, and L2 DAC in just a couple of weeks.  :)

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2018, 05:27 pm »

Testing has been finalized, and I have just updated the Specifications section for the L2 Signature Monoblock page with this information,
as well as SNR, THD (full power), etc.:

(Click on the "Specifications" Tab)

The first few units are shipping tomorrow!

Current lead-time is approx. 2 - 3 weeks from when I receive your order.

Vinnie

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2018, 05:44 pm »
Vinnie,

That’s a gorgeous chassis and design! Love it! All the best to you!

Best,
Anand.